2.5” or 3.5” lift for 37s?

Shoebox303

First Name
Jordan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Hey guys - I’m sorry if this has been hashed over a thousand times, but I’m new to this and hoping for some wisdom from the more experienced.

I recently ordered the JKS J-Konnect 3.5” kit for my 2021 JLU Rubicon. I’m starting to wonder if I should have gone with the 2.5” version rather than the 3.5” version. I want a kit that’ll allow 37” tires, but I also want a lower center of gravity. According to the JKS site, both the 2.5” and 3.5” kits allow the same max tire size (37s on the Rubi).

The cost of the kits are identical. And I think the components of the kits are the same except for the springs.

My family and I do a lot of highway miles with a lot of primitive camping and fairly serious off-road stops along the way (think “Fins ‘N’ Things” in Moab, for example). We also travel pretty heavy.

So, I guess I’m looking for some opinions. Basically, what are the pros/cons of each? Does the 2.5” rub on articulation? Is it mostly about breakover ground clearance? Are there things I‘m not considering?

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

B0AF805B-94A1-4155-853A-ABCAF9F96053.jpeg
34065BD5-D0A4-4C28-B7C2-4969AB8DE0A6.jpeg

Advertisement

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Your Rubicon model should be able to accommodate 37" tires both with a 2.5" and 3.5" lift! With our lifts for example we say that our 2.5" kits fit 37's perfectly on a Rubicon model, while our 3.5" kit can actually accommodate up to 39" tires nicely. If you're looking to run 37's with the lowest amount of lift possible and keep your center of gravity down for better on-road manners, I would definitely say a 2.5" lift would be the way to go. If you're looking for more off-road performance and better ground clearance, the 3.5" kit would be your best bet! It's all about the look you're going for and what you plan on doing with the vehicle! Hope this helps :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This ^^^...... but if you’re 50/50 on road / off road . Then I would get the 3.5” it will let you do more things as far as carrying weight, ground clearance etc...and to be honest, there’s not that much difference in on-road manners between the two, imho. I’ve driven both heights extensively.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I would figure out how much weight you will be wheeling with.

i.e. will you dump everything at camp and then go wheeling light, or will you be taking everything with you when you wheel.

What are you doing for front & rear bumpers, skid plates, roof rack, etc...

Even if you dump everything at camp, it is real easy to add serious weight to the "base" rig.

Next I would check to see how much lift people ended up seeing with the kit a couple months after install, and how much weight they added.

cheers.

Beowulf

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
The lower the better. Just do the appropriate bump stop adjustments. 2.5" for sure.

FunWagon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
The higher the better :). 4" for sure.

Bocephus

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Go 3.5” if you do any offroad at all. Actually even if you don’t, go 3.5”.
My 2.5 Evo lift kept me in the bump stops constantly, cleared 37s with some rubbing. A year later I got the coils to go 3.5”, much happier.

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Go 3.5” if you do any offroad at all. Actually even if you don’t, go 3.5”.
My 2.5 Evo lift kept me in the bump stops constantly, cleared 37s with some rubbing. A year later I got the coils to go 3.5”, much happier.
What changes did you have to do with the coils? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I think I would need at least new driveshafts. I sheared my rear passenger axle and getting 1 tons put on and upgrading to 37s. I have a 2.5" lift and since she is "under the knife" right now thought about adding 1" coil spacers. I have to get new driveshafts anyway along with breakline extensions for the 1 tons. Thanks!

Bocephus

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
What changes did you have to do with the coils? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I think I would need at least new driveshafts. I sheared my rear passenger axle and getting 1 tons put on and upgrading to 37s. I have a 2.5" lift and since she is "under the knife" right now thought about adding 1" coil spacers. I have to get new driveshafts anyway along with breakline extensions for the 1 tons. Thanks!
Evo rear track bar bracket was added at same time as 3.5 coils, and Tom woods drive shafts shortly thereafter. Can’t think of anything else at the moment. Then again, it is Saturday bourbon hour.

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Evo rear track bar bracket was added at same time as 3.5 coils, and Tom woods drive shafts shortly thereafter. Can’t think of anything else at the moment. Then again, it is Saturday bourbon hour.
That helps thanks! Cheers! It's Saturday whiskey night here.

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement