2.2L DIESEL Upgrading Air Intake, Exhaust System...etc

JAYDO27

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Has anyone installed in their 2.2L Diesel any performance parts as Air Intake, Exhaust pipe...? I can only find parts for the 2.0L and 3.6L engines.
Sponsored

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
intake is the same on the 2.2 as the 3.6. I am runniong an AFE power dry filter and a Rugged Ridge Snorkel made for the 3.6.

Exhaust, there is someone, not sure why that has had a custom one done.

OP
OP

JAYDO27

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
intake is the same on the 2.2 as the 3.6. I am runniong an AFE power dry filter and a Rugged Ridge Snorkel made for the 3.6.

Exhaust, there is someone, not sure why that has had a custom one done.
What about the cold air intakes like this one for example? Would be also same for the 2.2L than 3.6L engines?🙃

C7AD4132-D431-47CE-B1B9-AC394576E25D.jpeg

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
What about the cold air intakes like this one for example? Would be also same for the 2.2L than 3.6L engines?🙃

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.2L DIESEL Upgrading Air Intake, Exhaust System...etc C7AD4132-D431-47CE-B1B9-AC394576E25D
Unless the bonnet/hood seals against the top of that intake box you'd now have a hot air intake. There are also minimal if any gains to be made from changing an intake unless you get to a power level that requires more air than the factory intake can flow. If you've got time check out this video

I don't think there are enough 2.2 diesels out there for someone to make a production exhaust for them so I'd say it will be custom or nothing. For max performance gains you're going to want a turbo back system which means new DPF, cat and finding a way to get the DEF system to still work. After you've done that you'll want a custom tune to take advantage of the extra flow.

If you just want them both for extra noise then an open filter and exhaust will do that but don't expect huge performance gains.

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
The snorkel and a new air filter made a big difference for me, I also Have a Diesel Power Module from Diesel Power Modules Australia that made a big difference, with the snorkel and air filter I was able to turb it up a bit more. My Jeep is much faster then stock now even with the lift and 34" tyres.

And exhaust could help, it would also allow me to turn the module up more.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Maybe I am in the minority, but I'd imagine adding a cold air intake to an offroad vehicle is about the stupidest thing you can do. Unless that is you never plan to off road your vehicle. Otherwise, enjoy getting water sucked into the intake.

Intake and exhaust systems are designed with one thing in mind.. to separate the gullible from their money.

Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
I have 2 4wd's. A Nissan Patrol & the 2.2 Rubicon.
I have done some investigation into an Interchiller. I will be trialing this on the Patrol & if good, will be investigating an installation into the Rubicon.

The way I see it, air flow whilst crawling along tracks is pretty minimal. On a 30+ degree day, intake temps could be upwards of 60+ degrees. Once an Interchiller is installed it will be the opposite way, closer to zero.

Colder air is denser giving better combustion = More power & lower EGTS = Better Fuel Economy

The image posted above is a waste of time as it will just drive up intake temps due to the heat soak from the engine, and as stated, unless sealed to the bonnet, in my opinion, making you go backwards. (besides that, why would you want to install a filter like that, I would stick with the standard paper elements)
Better option would be to fit a snorkel.

https://fiinterchillers.com/store/

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
Maybe I am in the minority, but I'd imagine adding a cold air intake to an offroad vehicle is about the stupidest thing you can do. Unless that is you never plan to off road your vehicle. Otherwise, enjoy getting water sucked into the intake.

Intake and exhaust systems are designed with one thing in mind.. to separate the gullible from their money.
You might be the minority but you’re correct. And paper filters are known for better filtration anyway and dust is the last thing you’d want getting in you’re diesel. If manufacturers thought cold air filters better, that that’s what they fitting from factory.
Sponsored