Sponsored

2.0T intercooler heatsoak?

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I plan on getting a JL Rubicon later this year and I was just curious if anyone experienced heatsoak with it? I worry about going slowly off-road and losing power when I need it. I have a car with 2.0T and hot days where I’m stop and go for a bit I noticed a huge drop in power off the line until I get up to speed and airflow cools the intercooler. Has anybody experienced this with their JL? Can anybody report peak boost numbers for the 2.0?
Sponsored

Mikeg4572

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JKUR
I’ve noticed zero heat soak. I monitor the gauges and the temps don’t fluctuate much. The fan on these things is insane. Tons of airflow! I wouldn’t even worry about crawling.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
No intercooler as far as I can tell.
Turbo is mounted directly to the exhaust ports in the head and a intake is a short tube that goes to the intake side.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
There is an intercooler mounted under the intake manifold. And a heat exchanger in front of the radiator. It is an air to water system. The intercooler is similar in design to what is on the hellcat. This system is very efficient. Unless you are wot on a trail, which is unlikely, you will not see heat soak on a level that will cause poor performance.

OP
OP
Squibbles

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
There is an intercooler mounted under the intake manifold. And a heat exchanger in front of the radiator. It is an air to water system. The intercooler is similar in design to what is on the hellcat. This system is very efficient. Unless you are wot on a trail, which is unlikely, you will not see heat soak on a level that will cause poor performance.
I never would have expected them to be air to water. Yeah, as long as the reservoir is large enough you never have to worry about heat soak. Thank you. I imagine because it’s an SUV weight wasn’t a huge concern and it’s a several gallon system?

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I never would have expected them to be air to water. Yeah, as long as the reservoir is large enough you never have to worry about heat soak. Thank you. I imagine because it’s an SUV weight wasn’t a huge concern and it’s a several gallon system?
Yes. You will see that you have three coolant reservoirs. One is for the engine, one for the lithium battery, and the other is for the turbo. :)

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. You will see that you have three coolant reservoirs. One is for the engine, one for the lithium battery, and the other is for the turbo. :)
I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
Yes the Turbo itself is cooled from the coolant lines but not the air being forced into the engine.
I certainly maybe wrong, but I don't see anyway the air is being cooled after the turbo.

OP
OP
Squibbles

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
Yes the Turbo itself is cooled from the coolant lines but not the air being forced into the engine.
The turbo should be cooled by the oil.

OP
OP
Squibbles

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Thanks, I feel better about the 2.0. I know people have said a lot of negative things about reliability but I’m sure it’ll be worked out by MY 2020.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, nevermind, I see you said air to water system.
I am used to the old school air to air

Last edited:

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Zero heat soak experienced here, but I haven't owned my JL through a hot summer yet, so that could change.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Thanks, I feel better about the 2.0. I know people have said a lot of negative things about reliability but I’m sure it’ll be worked out by MY 2020.
Haven't seen much negativity from actual owners in use, most is just from non owners who can foresee the distant future and all the issues they'll be (not) having.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
No noticeable power drops here either. Yesterday the temperature was peaking mid 80s here in stop and go traffic. The fans definitely are loud but kept the temperature stable across all the readings. Had the same amount of response and power of out of her as I would on a cold day.
Sponsored