Sponsored

2.0T eTorque vs Non eTorque? - anyone driven both?

herabera

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stretched 1997 TJ on 37's. 2017 Lincoln MKX 2.7T. 2011 RAM Cargo van,
Hi there - i'm looking to either purchase a 19's 2.0 with the e-torque or order a 2020 with the 2.0T non-eTorque?. (as you cannot order the 2.0T with eTorque for 2020 only the V6) Does anyone have any experience driving both? (i know they are not very common)

I drove the V6 eTorque and non eTorque back to back. And my impression was that there was def an improvement with the eTorque. Specifically off the line acceleration (say for the first 3 seconds) was improved greatly and shifting was VERY smooth - no drop in torque. My guess is the little motor pics fills in the gaps.

So my hope is that the eTorque 2.0T would minimize turbo lag and then (in my eyes) you get the best of both worlds: the more powerful engine and the eTorque to fill in the gaps. (when i say more powerful engine i mean with a chip perhaps...it's easier to get more power from a turbo charged engine by far)
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hi there - i'm looking to either purchase a 19's 2.0 with the e-torque or order a 2020 with the 2.0T non-eTorque?. (as you cannot order the 2.0T with eTorque for 2020 only the V6) Does anyone have any experience driving both? (i know they are not very common)

I drove the V6 eTorque and non eTorque back to back. And my impression was that there was def an improvement with the eTorque. Specifically off the line acceleration (say for the first 3 seconds) was improved greatly and shifting was VERY smooth - no drop in torque. My guess is the little motor pics fills in the gaps.

So my hope is that the eTorque 2.0T would minimize turbo lag and then (in my eyes) you get the best of both worlds: the more powerful engine and the eTorque to fill in the gaps. (when i say more powerful engine i mean with a chip perhaps...it's easier to get more power from a turbo charged engine by far)
I haven't driven the non eTorque 2.0 or any 3.6 JL, but I do know a little about why the shifting is smooth. The BSG actually goes into charge mode to slow the engine down for the next gear. It is essentially rev-matching quicker than it could with a typical alternator. The drop from 5000 to 3000 RPM takes time, and having the BSG operate as the "brake" makes for smoother and quicker shifts.

One other slight difference is that the 3.6 BSG is 90 lb-ft of torque, while the 2.0 is only 70 lb-ft. The eTorque is probably more noticeable on the 3.6 with it's extra torque.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
We just picked up our 2020 2L without the eTorque, and I could not be happier. I went back and forth (and back again) so many times, but in the end I decided to go for the 2020 without the eTorque.

The eTorque is still very new (and the turbo isn't much older), and with all the steering issues on the 18/19 I had some pretty high reservations on buying a 2019 to begin with, so a 2020 just made sense. The next question was whether or not we wanted to wait to see if the eTorque would become available. My only advice for you is to do your research. Watch videos on what it is, how it's made, why you want it, and why you don't need it. I was VERY uncomfortable with it and would have rather waited a few more years (it sounds like a very good thing, should it work as advertised) but honestly the gas savings in a 2L Turbo would be minimal, and we just didn't need it for anything else. So when the dealer told us the battery alone costs $3500 to replace, it was a VERY easy decision for us. The extra money (and risk) was just much more than I was wiling to spend on something I didn't really need.

I haven't heard much about how it makes a big difference (with vs without) but I can tell you that I don't notice ANY difference between the 2019 2L with eTorque that we almost bought, and the 2020 2L without eTorque that we did buy - aside from the ESS. It does smooth it out a bit (or so I'm told... honestly I didn't notice a big difference), but I still can't justify the extra cost (and risk). If I did it again, I would get it without (but that's just my opinion).

peteinny

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I drove both the 2.0 E-torque and ended up buying the non E-torque. The biggest thing that I noticed was the ess. The start stop on the E-torque was much smoother for sure but not enough for me to want the extra battery and technology that goes with it. A slight turbo lag but nothing substantial. I have no regrets with the 2020 2.0 non e-torque.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I have a 2019 JLUR and it;'s awesome, my Wife just got a 2020 JLUR and I was surprised that it's not trmendiously different. The only time I notice is hitting it hard off the line the eTorque engine is noticeably quicker. The non-eTorque is still very quick and accelerates hard, no noticeable turbo lag.. I think if given the choice I'd take the non-eTorque because it doesn't require a second cooling system and the added complexity and BSG.
Not sure about milage differences because I drive all highway and the Wife drives all local..
The only thing I really don't like about the 2020 is the starter engaging for the ESS, the eTorque is instant and quiet..

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
The only thing I really don't like about the 2020 is the starter engaging for the ESS, the eTorque is instant and quiet..
I agree that it's louder, but it's still very quiet without. I barely notice it, and I was VERY worried about it. The ESS on husbands truck is awful and loud. And I hate it. I was REALLY worried about it being loud on the Jeep, but it's no big deal at all.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Get the 2020 no eTorque. Less things to maintain and go wrong. My 2020 non eTorque is working out surprisingly well so far.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Get the 2020 no eTorque. Less things to maintain and go wrong. My 2020 non eTorque is working out surprisingly well so far.
For all who are afraid of the eTorque system, there is no additional maintenance required and the battery is designed to last 10 years. And yes, there is a noticeable difference when driving the eTorque. Increased torque off the line, no turbo lag, and smoother ESS. It's a more refined driving experience than the non eTorque version, in my opinion.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
For all who are afraid of the eTorque system, there is no additional maintenance required and the battery is designed to last 10 years. And yes, there is a noticeable difference when driving the eTorque. Increased torque off the line, no turbo lag, and smoother ESS. It's a more refined driving experience than the non eTorque version, in my opinion.
Agreed! But I don't really notice when the turbo comes up on the 2020 though. All the turbo vehicles I've owned have a notable kick when the turbo spools up, this one does not. It would be interesting to have an actual boost gage.

Sponsored

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Right tell that to the people having battery issues and leaking battery coolant. I have smooth ESS, I push the button off when I start my Jeep and I can never feel it shutting down or starting up!

Last edited:

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Just ordered a 2020 Rubi 2.0L.

Does anybody know why the eTorque offering was removed from the Rubicons?
Sponsored