2.0T etorque coming back?

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
Any rumors of the 2.0T with etorque coming back? Had a 2019 rubicon and actually enjoyed the Etorque system with the 2.0T plus I drive in the city with a lot of stop lights and found the etorque to be really smooth and the torque from the 2.0T to feel more peppy. I actually enjoyed that combo more than a 3.6 with etorque or the 4xe. Any chance it could come back for 2022?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt it. FCA couldn’t give away the e2.0T when it was offered a couple years ago.

Reactions: J0E

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Doubt it. FCA couldn’t give away the e2.0T when it was offered a couple years ago.
I am curious where you got that info.

when i traded in my 2019 2.0 etorque on my 4xe, the district manager was at the dealer and mentioned that he didnt agree with the decision to remove 2.0 etorque as the take rate on it was significantly higher than the 3.6. (At least in the midwest).

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Who knows, but I suspect the 4Xe is the new hotness and we won't see 2.0/eTorque again. Mine doesn't have it being a 2021.
That makes sense. The 4Xe has far more Regenerative braking. Profits are made by volume, and another option is costly.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious where you got that info.

when i traded in my 2019 2.0 etorque on my 4xe, the district manager was at the dealer and mentioned that he didnt agree with the decision to remove 2.0 etorque as the take rate on it was significantly higher than the 3.6. (At least in the midwest).
JLs with the eTorque 2.0T kept piling on dealer lots. FCA had to put a $500 rebate on them to help dealers clear the lots. That’s the only rebate Wrangler has had in decades.

Jeep then decided the remove the eTorque from the 2.0T; sales started to improve.

Having said that, the 3.6 V6 continues to outsell the 2.0T 2-to-1.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
JLs with the eTorque 2.0T kept piling on dealer lots. FCA had to put a $500 rebate on them to help dealers clear the lots. That’s the only rebate Wrangler has had in decades.

Jeep then decided the remove the eTorque from the 2.0T; sales started to improve.

Still curious where your numbers are coming from.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It was all over the auto-related news back in 2019. At one point, dealer inventory figures showed that 80% of unsold JLs sitting on dealer lots had the e2.0T. That’s when FCA added the rebate.

Sorry, you will have to dig up the articles.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
FCA had to put a $500 rebate on them to help dealers clear the lots. That’s the only rebate Wrangler has had in decades.

Danger warning. I don't want to start a religious debate. Why does the 3.6 outsell 2:1? Ask any 2.0T owner, it's far better (LOL, I'm sure the 3.6 folks would say the 3.6 is better). Is it naĂŻve perception that bigger is better?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA had to put a $500 rebate on them to help dealers clear the lots. That’s the only rebate Wrangler has had in decades.

Danger warning. I don't want to start a religious debate. Why does the 3.6 outsell 2:1? Ask any 2.0T owner, it's far better (LOL, I'm sure the 3.6 folks would say the 3.6 is better). Is it naĂŻve perception that bigger is better?
I don’t know the answer. My guess is American buyers have traditionally preferred larger displacement engines, and have tended to distrust Italian automakers —namely Fiat.

The fact that today 20%-30% of JLs roll out with the 2.0T is a sign of how far we’ve come.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
I was trying to find any V6 at Death Valley Jeep rental in CA - we checked all Wranglers on the lot (~15) - none had V6, so I have to settle for another 2.0L. I personally have no issues with e-Toque in 2.0L. The 2.0L engine itself is another story for me.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
FCA couldn’t give away the e2.0T when it was offered a couple years ago.
Despite my disappointment with the Pentastar, I might not have chosen the 2.0T if it was encumbered with etorque. I figured forced induction was enough complexity for an engine. I'm glad that etorque wasn't compulsory for, or even available on (IIRC) the four cylinder for MY2021 builds.

Why does the 3.6 outsell 2:1? Ask any 2.0T owner, it's far better (LOL, I'm sure the 3.6 folks would say the 3.6 is better). Is it naĂŻve perception that bigger is better?
Wanting to like and eventually configure my JLU with the V6, I test drove three Wranglers so equipped (manual & automatic). The experience was a bit of a letdown: It was a bit doggy off the line, and it required more right foot than should have been necessary just to get it down the road. True, the Pentastar does provide a stronger kick near and on the top end of things when compared to the 2.0T. As I don't drive vehicles (a Wrangler least of all!) in such a manner, that isolated advantage held no currency with me.

Taking a big leap of faith, I ordered the 2.0T sight- and test drive-unseen. It's a great engine: lively off the line, reasonably linear acceleration and comparatively great fuel mileage. My decision process and owner experience is just a data point of one, but I'd wager it can be duplicated many times over.

Yeah, I'm from Florida and SoCal, this "snow" thing is still a novelty.
During basic training, we had a good laugh at the expense of the guys who hadn't ever seen snow before. As this was January/February, they suffered more than the rest of us during drills and PT.

Good times.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
It's definitely true. I bought my 1st JL (a 2019 Sport S 2.0 with eTorque) the end of Feb 2020. While looking, I was surprised to find multiple dealerships had 2019s left on the lot, and ALL were 2.0 eTorque with deep discounts. The sales guy I used was probably too honest, saying they just weren't able to move them well (at the time) even with the rebates and discounts because everyone wanted the 3.6. My brand new 2019 Sport S 2.0 eTorque was ADVERTISED nearly 20% below MSRP, before negotiating. I took it and loved it. The only reason I traded 10 months later for a 2021 is because I was hooked and the mods I was going to do just made more sense to get a Rubicon, considering the dealer offered me more than I had originally paid for my 2.0. Recently I think more are open to the 2.0, as it's built more reputation as being great. Let's be honest though, there are going to have to be many 150k+++ mile 2.0s out there before some will look at it like they do the 3.6, whether right or wrong. I personally love turbos and direct injection, but both have reputations for having more issues around the 100k mark in vehicles. It'll have to prove itself before that's out of mind for people. I'm NOT hating on it, just being real.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
After a few problems with the 3.6L (broken oil cooler/filter assembly, sand left in block casting issue) I test drove the 2.0 eTorque, and bought a 2018 JLU with the 2.0 eTorque. Now after 40,000 trouble free miles and a 24.5 mpg lifetime average, I think the 2.0 is a winner.
Sponsored