2.0T dyno run on 87 vs 91 octane?

bkeazer

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0T
Has anyone tested the difference in power and torque the 2.0t will put down on the dyno when running on 87 octane vs 91? Wondering if the higher octane rating actually equals an increase in power and torque at the wheels.
Sponsored

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
In my experience with 2.0L turbos higher octane always equates to higher power and torque.

I owned a VW GTI with a 2.0L turbo and Stage I flash from APR. Here's their dyno chart numbers for 91 and 93 octane:

91 octane
HP - 253
TQ - 309

93 octane
HP - 261
TQ - 317

OP
OP

bkeazer

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0T
In my experience with 2.0L turbos higher octane always equates to higher power and torque.

I owned a VW GTI with a 2.0L turbo and Stage I flash from APR. Here's their dyno chart numbers for 91 and 93 octane:

91 octane
HP - 253
TQ - 309

93 octane
HP - 261
TQ - 317

I assume the higher octane will equate to more power and torque at the wheels, as it did for you. Just wondering if someone has actually tested it. And if the power increase is significant enough to justify using the higher octane fuel.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
My butt dyno may need to be calibrated, but MY 2.0 seems to perform better on 87. I've ran several tanks in a row on 87 and 91 to let the computer acclimate and I feel like the throttle response on 87 is a bit quicker with less lag. Fuel economy also seems a bit better.

Sponsored

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
You guys are leaving something out. You are not taking into consideration as to how the factory has the ecm programmed. If it is programmed for low octane, then the programming will not let the benefits of higher octane happen. We did a comparison on chevy Euinox. One with the 1.5T with 87 stock tune, and one with the 2.0T with factory 91 tune. Putting 91 in the 1.5 showed no difference in power, and only a slight increase in fuel miles based on the ability to ignite better. So I would be interested in knowing what fuel was in the 2.0T Jeep engine to get their power numbers. Did they use the low grade, or high grade?

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
You guys are leaving something out. You are not taking into consideration as to how the factory has the ecm programmed. If it is programmed for low octane, then the programming will not let the benefits of higher octane happen. We did a comparison on chevy Euinox. One with the 1.5T with 87 stock tune, and one with the 2.0T with factory 91 tune. Putting 91 in the 1.5 showed no difference in power, and only a slight increase in fuel miles based on the ability to ignite better. So I would be interested in knowing what fuel was in the 2.0T Jeep engine to get their power numbers. Did they use the low grade, or high grade?
No noticable difference. And it took me a long time to convince myself I wasn't doing something "bad" by running 87. Now I smile at the pump (kind of, keeps me from crying), because the stations all show the 87 octane price, to be competitive, then gouge you on the 91. Sucks, as all my other vehicles run on 91 and will NOT run on anything less. (4 motorcycles, a RZR Turbo and a Mustang GT).

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Sucks, as all my other vehicles run on 91 and will NOT run on anything less. (4 motorcycles, a RZR Turbo and a Mustang GT).
Well they will run, just have to keep your foot off the throttle.

i have an aggressive 93 tune on an l86 (vette motor)and it runs just fine if the gas station attended puts in 87 by accident, just can’t get on the throttle too much

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well they will run, just have to keep your foot off the throttle.

i have an aggressive 93 tune on an l86 (vette motor)and it runs just fine if the gas station attended puts in 87 by accident, just can’t get on the throttle too much
Correct! It pings and knocks. But not the 2.0 Turbo. Like someone else said, the ECU's were designed on these to run on 87.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Correct! It pings and knocks. But not the 2.0 Turbo. Like someone else said, the ECU's were designed on these to run on 87.
As it lists both octanes in the OM, it will adjust to either, normally by sensing the knock of 87 and backing off the timing to compensate.

We’ve always run 93 in the Jeep, but I had to run 87 instead of mid for a tank in my 5.7 Ram and it’s pretty apparent that the engine runs rough until it figures out the correct timing.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It’s done in fractions of a second
Very well could be quick in the 2.0. Ram went as far is to comment on knocking on 87 in the OM:
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87,
hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a
cause for concern.

2021 islander

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wranger Islander
i wonder what 89 octane would give you a good middle ground of the two

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very well could be quick in the 2.0. Ram went as far is to comment on knocking on 87 in the OM:
cause for concern.
i wonder what 89 octane would give you a good middle ground of the two
Since you can't hurt the engine using any of the 3 (87/89/91), Try them all and see if you can feel the difference. Unlike a "premium only" engine requirment, you can use whatever you feel is most beneficial for your needs.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
cause for concern.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T dyno run on 87 vs 91 octane? 1653507158807
Sponsored