a

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Even on my gas motors I normally shift around 2800 rpm for daily driving. I agree 2k isnt spinning an engine very hard. I just dont like having to stab the gas to get moving on a daily Im an old man driver these days I like my mpgs lol
The diesel is hard to beat for mpg's. I'm happy with my 17mpg, especially since I drive like a 16 year old.
Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
What fraction of a second do you think it takes to ”spool up“ to 2k rpms from a stop? The second you put your foot on the gas, the 2.0t is making more torque than the v6. Stock gearing our JLUR on 37’s does 0-60 in 6.5s. That little engine has no problem getting big tires moving and hasn’t had an issue doing so for 30k miles, about 3k of which have been off road. If you want to idle around and hypermile your take offs, the results will be disappointing. Put your foot in it and it pulls harder and is more fun than the V6 is on stock tires in my experience.
Your posts on this topic read very insecure…

the 2.0 seems like a fine engine. I had it specc’d in my jeep I planned to order until the XR package came out and forced me into the V6. I have no issues with the 4cyl engine. Probably still would have grabbed it if it was an option with XR package.

It’s just that turbos lag. Enough that people notice: 2.0T throttle response complaint That’s all I am commenting on.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Even on my gas motors I normally shift around 2800 rpm for daily driving. I agree 2k isnt spinning an engine very hard. I just dont like having to stab the gas to get moving on a daily Im an old man driver these days I like my mpgs lol
I test drove well over 100 different Jeeps, for the sole purpose of direct back to back comparisons of the 2.0 and 3.6 engines. Every 3.6 didn't wake up and accelerate as fast as a 2.0, until it was revved higher than I'd like on a daily driver. I'm also a low rev fan, such as yourself. The 2.0 has a very noticeable low and mid range torque advantage over the 3.6 engine. Horsepower ratings require high rev driving to tap into. Low and mid range torque is where all of our time is spent. Not one single 3.6 caught my attention, yet every 2.0 made for a fun ride. And I'm not talking about racing around like "that guy" on the road, just normal sane driving at lower rpms. The 2.0's torque that starts kicking in off idle made the Jeep feel lighter and more nimble than it really is.

Here's my 19 JLUR with the 2.0 lifted about 4" over stock and on 38's. A regear wasn't even on my mind.
Jeep Wrangler JL a 20211013_132632

It took a recent switch to 40's to get me thinking about a set of 4.88's.
Jeep Wrangler JL a 20211014_133132

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Your posts on this topic read very insecure…

the 2.0 seems like a fine engine. I had it specc’d in my jeep I planned to order until the XR package came out and forced me into the V6. I have no issues with the 4cyl engine. Probably still would have grabbed it if it was an option with XR package.

It’s just that turbos lag. Enough that people notice: 2.0T throttle response complaint That’s all I am commenting on.
I literally replied to "the small engine and no trq" comment, because it is factually inaccurate. In my opinion the 2.0t pulls harder than the V6 even off idle so long as you put your foot in it. Neither are rockets, both are sufficient, but in my opinion the 2.0t is better. It makes more peak torque and more average torque. It makes more power below 6k rpms (how often are you cruising around below 2k or above 6k). I'm very impressed with this little engine.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The diesel is hard to beat for mpg's. I'm happy with my 17mpg, especially since I drive like a 16 year old.
Well, the diesels by in price did a great job of offsetting its mpg rating. They'll be 200k miles on the engine, or more, before it breaks even. Also depending on where one lives, like me in New York, diesel toggles just above and below 93 octane. Now add higher oil and filter costs and Def fluid fillups, and you'll have an engine getting long in the tooth by the break even point. The sulfur being removed from the fuel was a big hit to the longevity that diesels had a reputation for. Sulfur provided a cooling factor and lubrication for the high pressure half of the fuel system. The modern fuel is considered "dry" like kerosene. This results in faster erosion of injector nozzle orifices and internal hard parts of the injection pump. There's good reason why I'm one of many longtime diesel mechanics that have switched over to gas powered personal vehicles.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@SG19JLUR - Another user requiring your firsthand input/experience…

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Thats alot of weight to move with such a small engine with and no trq. I bet once you get moving you would be ok...
You realize the 2.0 makes more torque than the 3.6 right?

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I have the 2020 JLU 2.0 on 37's with stock gears/axles & love it!! It is much, much quicker than I ever would have expected! It handles great! The tires are a BF Goodrich M/T knockoff. I can't tell you the weight. They're on 17" rims.
The way it accelerates and handles, I've actually considered going to 38's or even 40's for my next set of tires!! I know that I'll have to look into replacing front end parts if I want to go that big.

Overall, if you're looking to get new tires, I say go with 37's!! You won't regret it!

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I put a 2.5 inch teraflex lift and 35s on about 6 months ago. Looking to buy some method wheels and figured if I’m going to switch to 37s, now would be a good time. Anybody have experience with the 2.0 rubicon engine? If a regear is necessary, I’ll probably stick with 35s. Thanks
You don’t need to regear your 2.0 Rubicon it can easily handle 37” tires. But if you regear to 4:56 it will continue to perform/feel like that of your Rubicon on 35s.

37” tires on 4:10s will take some of the pep away off the line and your MPG will drop to the solid mid teen range if you aren’t to heavy on the pedal.

Side note to the debate in this thread of 2.0 vs 3.6. Having a 2020 3.6 auto JLUR and 2021 2.0 auto JLUR neither with eTorque. I have to say the 2.0 feels lighter handling and more peppy then the 3.6. The 2.0 is a little more fun to drive, but it sounds like a 1980s Honda which kinda takes some of the smile away for me. Jeep needs to take a note from FORD and tune the exhaust to sound a bit more “muscular and truck like”. Then is would be hands down my favorite between the two engines.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t need to regear your 2.0 Rubicon it can easily handle 37” tires. But if you regear to 4:56 it will continue to perform/feel like that of your Rubicon on 35s.

37” tires on 4:10s will take some of the pep away off the line and your MPG will drop to the solid mid teen range if you aren’t to heavy on the pedal.

Side note to the debate in this thread of 2.0 vs 3.6. Having a 2020 3.6 auto JLUR and 2021 2.0 auto JLUR neither with eTorque. I have to say the 2.0 feels lighter handling and more peppy then the 3.6. The 2.0 is a little more fun to drive, but it sounds like a 1980s Honda which kinda takes some of the smile away for me. Jeep needs to take a note from FORD and tune the exhaust to sound a bit more “muscular and truck like”. Then is would be hands down my favorite between the two engines.
About a year ago, I installed the Borla Touring Climber cat-back. Zero drone at any rpm or cruising speed and it has a nice bass tone growl without being too loud and obnoxious like it was trying to audition for the next fast and furious movie. And also the increased ground clearance and decreased weight are welcomed pluses.

Yet another plus is the cleaner look from behind...
Jeep Wrangler JL a 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL a 20210211_132351_resized

Mylesperhour

First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU
I've got a 2020 Rubicon with the 2.0, no issues at all running 37" KO2's just got back from back to back weekend trips to the mountains and I averaged 17'8mpg's and have no trouble going up or down the hilly roads.

In the city I can still spin tires in the rain if I get on the gas too much coming off a stoplight

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Just buy a 4xe and all these worries go away. Much more torque at lower RPMs and regenerative braking takes some work away from the service brakes. With the $7,500 tax credit, it's much cheaper than the diesel.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Just buy a 4xe and all these worries go away. Much more torque at lower RPMs and regenerative braking takes some work away from the service brakes. With the $7,500 tax credit, it's much cheaper than the diesel.
Buy another jeep, cheaper than regearing...
Sponsored