First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Checking the bolts is already on the list for the dealer to do during PDI when my Jeep comes in. I said something about it to them a couple months ago. Dealer said she hadn't heard anything about that so she put it in my delivery notes.
Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I'd sure like to know the criteria they used for determining which units to include in the recall. Mine was built right at the time I've heard they are issuing the recall for, but they claim mine isn't included, so I'm confident the dealer won't check my bolts.

I also wonder if it was the production line or the engine sub-contractor that messed up.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'd sure like to know the criteria they used for determining which units to include in the recall. Mine was built right at the time I've heard they are issuing the recall for, but they claim mine isn't included, so I'm confident the dealer won't check my bolts.

I also wonder if it was the production line or the engine sub-contractor that messed up.
It's a QC issue. They know what motors were built that had the bolts not properly torqued. Most likely, a not properly calibrated or faulty torque driver.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
2021 at just under 30K miles. Took it to the dealership this week, they just called today to let me know that my reservoir was also split, so they're ordering a new one, likely won't arrive till next week.

In the meantime, they gave me a 2018 Renegade as a loaner, lol. Like driving a go-kart around town.
Us too! We got a RED edition. I mean, not too shabby tbh. Not our JLURe though.

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
It's a QC issue. They know what motors were built that had the bolts not properly torqued. Most likely, a not properly calibrated or faulty torque driver.
Just curious, do you think it is a possibility that they are properly torqued at the factory but back out due to engine vibration. Mine was built in August and delivered in October and after a 1200 mile trip to CO, I smelled coolant and then my engine light came on.

As I have said in previous posts, this issue has been known for 2 years and is still happening. Such an easy fix and yet they do nothing and allow it to get to a recall situation.

Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
I had the 2.0T in my 2019 Cherokee and at 32,000 miles when I traded it there were no problems. That engine was made in Trenton MI not Italy. There is a big QC issue going on, which factory attaches those screws and water pump elbow?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just curious, do you think it is a possibility that they are properly torqued at the factory but back out due to engine vibration. Mine was built in August and delivered in October and after a 1200 mile trip to CO, I smelled coolant and then my engine light came on.

As I have said in previous posts, this issue has been known for 2 years and is still happening. Such an easy fix and yet they do nothing and allow it to get to a recall situation.
All I know is that just cranking dow on those two bolts worked for me. I have mechanics hands so two clicks of the elbow is good enough. At this point, problem is solved. It's been a while and I check them about every 3 months and they are still tight.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
All I know is that just cranking dow on those two bolts worked for me. I have mechanics hands so two clicks of the elbow is good enough. At this point, problem is solved. It's been a while and I check them about every 3 months and they are still tight.
I did the same, and hoping they don't loosen back up. Hopefully it is just a factory assembly issue, and not a design problem.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I did the same, and hoping they don't loosen back up. Hopefully it is just a factory assembly issue, and not a design problem.
So far, they are still tight. If it was a design issue then all would have the problem.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
2500 mi on mine this week. Checked the bolts by hand and they were tight. Didn’t get a bit on them, but tested by finger and they weren’t loose. I’ll get a torx on them soon to really see.

Two weeks ago I had to top off the reservoir. It checked okay today. Was a millimeter below the Max mark.
Now at 4500 mi and wanted to report that my reservoir seems to have stabilized. Checked yesterday and it has not gone down any more.

Also, I did a visual inspection of the bolts and area around there and all seems fine. :like:

Sponsored

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Now at 4500 mi and wanted to report that my reservoir seems to have stabilized. Checked yesterday and it has not gone down any more.

Also, I did a visual inspection of the bolts and area around there and all seems fine. :like:
My bolts looked ok as well. I went off road a lot. I put it up on a lift and low and behold, the bolts were only hand tight. WHEW! It would have sucked for it to happened off road. IT is worth it to check is all I am saying....

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
My late 2018 2.0 build has no recalls or TSB's whatsoever when I plug in the VIN. Just the front stabilizer from a few years ago. Are you guys showing a TSB issued for these bolts when you plug in your VIN's?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I got my second Jeep wave oil change/tire rotation at the dealer today. Along with that came the water pump bolt recall. Apparently my overheating, the identification by another dealer (this TSB), and fix in August didn't count as them performing the recall so they had to do it again?

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
Finally got my 2023 Rubi XR into the shop to look at what had caused the check engine light to come on. Mechanics did not find the bolts to be the problem but thought it could be a cold engine start warning. They said a software fix for that was coming in a couple of months.
Sponsored