First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Quick update on my case: service dept from the dealership just called me mid-diagnosis to ask if I had added any coolant to the system. Looks like I don't have a leak, BUT I think they checked for this TSB and a lot of my bolts were loose. He said that one potential theory (which I can't comment on if it happened or not) is that when the engine gets hot enough, air was sucked into the coolant system since everything was loose, and that air pocket working its way through caused the coolant itself to stop circulating as well and thus overheating.

In any case, they said they'll have another update tomorrow, and perhaps be done.
I would ask for a detailed explanation on how air is sucked into the cooling system when it gets hot, because the system is under pressure when it's hot. The pressure has to be raised to keep the coolant's boiling point higher than the system temperature under normal conditions.
Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would ask for a detailed explanation on how air is sucked into the cooling system when it gets hot, because the system is under pressure when it's hot. The pressure has to be raised to keep the coolant's boiling point higher than the system temperature under normal conditions.
It happens all of the time. Take a balloon, fill it with water and put a pinhole in it. Air sucks right in.......

I do know that the dealer service department owns the Brooklyn Bridge and is looking to sell it too.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I got a call back from the dealer today. Root cause: loose bolts from the factory :mad: I didn't have a dramatic loss of coolant like some of the posts here, but they said my coolant was low and I did have a smaller leak.

They also told me TSBs are not like recalls and the won't check for/fix them unless you already have symptoms. This seems like something that should be a sticky for 2.0T owners and something you should check after getting it...I wish I had known about it before.

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It happens all of the time. Take a balloon, fill it with water and put a pinhole in it. Air sucks right in.......

I do know that the dealer service department owns the Brooklyn Bridge and is looking to sell it too.
A balloon is not the same. When the engine is running, the cooling system is absorbing heat and the coolant is expanding (or trying to expand in a closed system). As long as the cap is on and the system is sealed, it is building pressure. No chance of air being sucked in during those conditions. When the engine is off and cooling down, the coolant is contracting, which could possibly pull air in through a compromised seal, however if it is compromised, it will leak both ways.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
A balloon is not the same. When the engine is running, the cooling system is absorbing heat and the coolant is expanding (or trying to expand in a closed system). As long as the cap is on and the system is sealed, it is building pressure. No chance of air being sucked in during those conditions. When the engine is off and cooling down, the coolant is contracting, which could possibly pull air in through a compromised seal, however if it is compromised, it will leak both ways.
The Jeep with the 2.0l T would be the unique vehicle to suck in air when it has a coolant leak that low in the engine (this is the lower radiator hose). There will be more air in the coolant system when you expel the coolant though. Plus, radiator caps are designed to hold pressure, not a vacuum. So air gets sucked in through the radiator cap when you start leaking coolant as it cools down. Thus the system is at local barometric pressure upon a cold startup. You'll see this as if it didn't do that, the hoses would be sucked in on themselves, yet they are not.

In the end, this is a QC problem at Jeep. Mine puked out the coolant and just cranking down on the two M6 bolts fixed it. With the other QC issues I've had with my Jeep, this is no surprise.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I got the Jeep back today. Seems to drive pretty normal, no overheating on the long drive home. Temperatures were 195 or so when I checked idling in the parking lot. The dealership was pretty good overall -- service manager was a real enthusiast and enjoyed talking with him.

Will have to assemble all my receipts and see what reimbursement I get back from Jeep Customer Care. They seem like they're willing to comp me for my rental car and Ubers. Will see what happens there.

davemx68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Dealer contacted me and said engine is shipping on August 16th. They said they are getting me an estimate to remove the bumper and winch since they are aftermarket. I let them know the estimate does not matter because I am not paying them for that. It does not make sense since they would already have to remove a stock bumper. I understand the winch I guess. They want me to just go to the dealership and take it off possibly. Surprised they want that liability of me in their shop or lot doing work.

They mentioned the aftermarket bumper is in the way of the rig they use to remove the engine and transmission. I think any bumper including stock would need to be removed.

I am thankful they are replacing the engine without a ton of hassle, but I have no interest in paying their labor rates to remove something I can do in an hour and they will charge me $516

Last edited:

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
I had to pay mine out and did. I am currently fighting it out with FCA for them to pay me back. My position is since Jeep knew about this issue and what the fix was back in march of 2020, it should have never happened to me jeep built in November 2021.

I would have done the same as you if I could have, but my jeep was in another state and to go there and back would have cost about the same amount.

Gravy

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Just a couple small updates here.

Everything has seemed good since my fix. I'm going on a long trip this weekend, hope it stays that way.

Also I got an email today from my Jeep Wave agent saying my case has been closed and the check has been issued and I should receive it in 2 weeks.

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
Good to hear. I hope I get a email like that soon. If you don't mind, how much was yours, and did they pay everything you submitted.
Mine is $1.3k something. I'm still waiting to hear on mine.

Gravy

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Good to hear. I hope I get a email like that soon. If you don't mind, how much was yours, and did they pay everything you submitted.

Gravy
To be honest I'm not sure. I sent in all the receipts, didn't get any questions about it, and then just two emails saying "Check sent to processing" and "Check is being sent out". I can update once I get it, but I believe I was in the neighborhood of $650-750. I'll wait to see what the actual check amount is before I make any more moves.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

Gravy
Well that was fast, I got home today and the check was already there, and already cleared with my bank by mobile deposit. I ended up getting $591 back...when I look at my receipts (two Ubers, one hotel, one rental car), it came out to $609. I think they might've deducted the uber tips? (if I subtract those out, it comes out to $588). Close enough to where I'm not going to complain (they paid for one extra day of rental I didn't use for the week). I also got to rent a decent car for the week: Grand Cherokee.

I still had to pay gas out of pocket for the rental (they said they don't reimburse that, didn't try), lost my weekend/trip, and have to worry about the long term health of my engine, so it's a net negative by far. And am very mad about this issue from the factory and it being a known TSB, and regret about learning about it after the fact and not getting the chance to fix it myself. But I have nothing but positive things to say about the dealership (Criswell, Thurmont MD) and national Jeep Wave customer service.

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Because of this thread, I decided to check my bolts, and found the top one only finger tight and as soon as I touched it it started to leak coolant. Frustrated with trying to get to the other bolt, I decided to pull the fender. That turned out to be the answer! Still a PITA, but doable at least. So grateful for this thread!

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was able to access the bottom bolt while laying beneath the vehicle. The top bolt was accessed from the top, no issues except scraped up arms. Used 1/4 ratchet (long handle) with extension and Torx bit.

Unscrew the top bolt first, clean and apply Loctite 243, then screw the bolt back in and tighten. Repeat for the bottom bolt. You will loose very little coolant if you do it this way.

Last edited:

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Out of curiousity, I checked the three thermostat housing bolts and two water pump bolts and all were pretty snug. My Rubicon was built in Dec 2019 and I have about 10k miles on it. I'll keep checking them periodically. I did notice awhile back that the coolant was a little low, but could never find any evidence of a leak anywhere.
Just to add an update to my previous post, I checked my girlfriend's 2020 Sahara with the 2.0T e-torque. She has approx 23k miles on it now and both the thermostat bolts and the water pump housing bolts were tight. The coolant level was also a little low, but I suspect that was from the initial fill at the factory and any air bubbles working themselves out. No evidence of coolant leaks anywhere and never had an overheating issue. The build date on her Sahara is September 2019.
Sponsored