Sponsored

2.0L Water Leak

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Okay, thx. Definitely before the March ‘22 TSB cutoff.
Sponsored

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
I'm not sure if I'm in this club yet, but earlier today I was driving on the highway. Could hear the fan coming on which I thought was abnormal but disregarded it as it was hot out.

I stopped for a late lunch, when I started driving again almost immediately the temperature kept going up to the point of hitting the red and backing off. It kept going back and forth so stopped at a gas station, opened the hood. After a couple minutes I left again thinking it was still related to outside.

The oscillating temperatures started again so I pulled over to the side of the road in a neighborhood. Had the hood open and talked to a few people about what to do. Saw a jeep dealership was about 6 minutes away so decided to try to drive there. This time the red came on and stayed. I sat in the parking lot a while and then went to talk to the service. Of course by the time I moved it into the service bay it wasn't on red anymore. I never went into limp mode. I didn't check the engine coolant as I didn't know to do that at the time.

They're going to look at it in the next day or two. They had no loaners, so I had a really expensive hour Uber just halfway home to a friend's. I called jeep service and they opened a case for me and to have rental car reimbursement starting tomorrow.

I was on the way to off road too 😞 '21 Willys, just hit the 8000 mile mark. No previous issues on the highway (even yesterday).

DAEBB2F1-08BB-4FE8-BA73-3981B3A98800.jpeg

894E04A1-3D43-40C6-868B-25CBACC63E83.jpeg
Was there any leaking coolant underneath? If so, likely the screws for the coolant inlet to the water pump.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are the odds? I have been reading this thread this week and was getting ready to perform the tsb myself this weekend.
Now i am on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Was driving on the freeway and the temp shot up, got a warning light and it went into limp mode. Was able to get off the next exit. Got up to about 270deg and coasted about a 1/2 mile.

Eta. 2022 built late December with 7000 miles.
So so sorry to hear that!

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Was there any leaking coolant underneath? If so, likely the screws for the coolant inlet to the water pump.
Unfortunately I can't answer either way. I was kinda frazzled and didn't think to check for leaks at either spot. Someone told me how to check the coolant level but said to be careful and I was more focused on getting off the road and to the dealership.

There was a pretty small, seemingly clear puddle under my car in the service bay, maybe at the halfway point. It could've been there before though. AC? Though I wasn't running it.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I can't answer either way. I was kinda frazzled and didn't think to check for leaks at either spot. Someone told me how to check the coolant level but said to be careful and I was more focused on getting off the road and to the dealership.

There was a pretty small, seemingly clear puddle under my car in the service bay, maybe at the halfway point. It could've been there before though. AC? Though I wasn't running it.
Clear is likely from AC. By the time you reached the dealer, chances are most if not all the coolant was likely gone.

Sponsored

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
So my coolant levels have stabilized. I added in about 10oz when I got it home and 8oz then next day. The res reading has stayed at max level now the last couple days. Temps stay in between 195 and 205.

so I’m guessing I’m good now. The service manager at Chapman told me they checked and torqued everything down on the short block as well as all the stuff, including the water pump outlet bolts. So hopefully smooth sailing for here on out.
I’ll still be nervous for my first couple of trips though.
I hope to put this whole thing behind me as soon as FCA pays me for all my out of pocket.

good luck everyone, hope everyone gets repaired quickly.

Gravy

trdt44

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Power Wagon, '22 Sarge Green JLR
I got the Jeep towed to the dealer. I wasn't impressed with the check in process. Also waiting 3 hours for a tow wasn't fun. I gave them the TSB number but I am going to follow up with them today. Mine is clearly leaking from the inlet tube. I would have just trailered it home and fixed it myself but I want them to check the engine out. I was able to get off the road about 30 seconds after the warning light came on so hopefully all is well.

hankster88

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
Corporate Security Risk Analyst
Just had this happen to my 21 JLU Sport with 11.4k miles. Massive Sweet smell when I started it up and temps hit 280 with a message on the dash. Pulled over and had a nice big puddle of coolant. Was 130 miles away from home and So far not impressed with the response from the service department where its at. Stated can't even look at it until next week and then only gave a rental car for a day until they determine cause(warranty or not).
Update on mine- They replaced the water pump, refilled, pulled vacuum and no leaks.. Temp is a little more touchy as it will fluctuate between 180-205 now instead of just hitting 195 and sitting there. 200 miles since fix and no drop in coolant level for me.

I will definitely be keeping a close eye on it.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Quick update on my case: service dept from the dealership just called me mid-diagnosis to ask if I had added any coolant to the system. Looks like I don't have a leak, BUT I think they checked for this TSB and a lot of my bolts were loose. He said that one potential theory (which I can't comment on if it happened or not) is that when the engine gets hot enough, air was sucked into the coolant system since everything was loose, and that air pocket working its way through caused the coolant itself to stop circulating as well and thus overheating.

In any case, they said they'll have another update tomorrow, and perhaps be done.

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
Quick update on my case: service dept from the dealership just called me mid-diagnosis to ask if I had added any coolant to the system. Looks like I don't have a leak, BUT I think they checked for this TSB and a lot of my bolts were loose. He said that one potential theory (which I can't comment on if it happened or not) is that when the engine gets hot enough, air was sucked into the coolant system since everything was loose, and that air pocket working its way through caused the coolant itself to stop circulating as well and thus overheating.

In any case, they said they'll have another update tomorrow, and perhaps be done.
👀

Sponsored

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
I sent my interruption cost to the case worker Friday. This included scanned copies of the hotel, and Chapman receipts. Also included was scanned copies of individual dated charges with location, merchant and charge amount from one credit card and itemized charges with location and merchant information from a different credit card. The second credit card dose not give individual charge information. But the line items do have date, reference numbers, description (merchant and location) and charge amount.
total $1391.87

This is the response I just got.
" I have received the document that you sent in. However yo submit for possible reimbursement we would need any receipts that you would like reviewed. Please reply to this email with any and all documents you want reviewed. "

Looks like they setting up for denial of trip interruption reimbursements.

Gravy

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I sent my interruption cost to the case worker Friday. This included scanned copies of the hotel, and Chapman receipts. Also included was scanned copies of individual dated charges with location, merchant and charge amount from one credit card and itemized charges with location and merchant information from a different credit card. The second credit card dose not give individual charge information. But the line items do have date, reference numbers, description (merchant and location) and charge amount.
total $1391.87

This is the response I just got.
" I have received the document that you sent in. However yo submit for possible reimbursement we would need any receipts that you would like reviewed. Please reply to this email with any and all documents you want reviewed. "

Looks like they setting up for denial of trip interruption reimbursements.

Gravy

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Update on mine. Since I cranked down on my bolts, they are still tight and no leaks. Coolant level is fine. Same for the heat exchanger.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
I used to have a 2019 Cherokee with the 2.0L Hurricane turbo made in Trenton MI.
There was never a problem with anti-freeze leaking and I ended up trading in after 32K miles for a 2021 Grand Cherokee.
Sponsored