Sponsored

2.0L Water Leak

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Get the proper tool, and see if the fasteners are loose by trying to tighten them., as per previous info on this.
If they are loose, and can be tightened, you have the satisfaction of hands- on, and can enjoy your Jeep.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
Sponsored

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
That is definitely one thing I planned to do but my concern was the difference in my issue from the OP given that my Jeep is overheating and not just leaking. My coolant temp climbs to about 230-235F

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That is definitely one thing I planned to do but my concern was the difference in my issue from the OP given that my Jeep is overheating and not just leaking. My coolant temp climbs to about 230-235F
Starting with the simple stuff, have you verified that the correct level of coolant is in the system? See your Owner's Manual, beginning with p. 385.

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
I did check and also haven't messed with the vehicle at all since it is basically brand new. I am the original owner and bought it new last June and it only have 9k miles on it.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
For sure make sure you're coolant level is correct. Mine was down just a little from the short time it leaked witch I believe wasn't more than 10 to 12 miles before I caught it.

Also the correct tool is a T34 Torx bit and it needs to be at a 90 degree angle to fit in there. I have a set and they swivel Wich worked well. I know if your not used to messing with this sort of thing it can be a little ify. What I did is started the engine for just a couple seconds and than rolled under there with safety glasses on, and a flashlight so I see exactly where it was coming from. The thermostat is up in there. Once I located it, let it cool off, wipe up the coolant and you can get up in there. I believe I posted a video and pic.s. Hope it works out for you.

Sponsored

Jao

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude
I just had similar a similar problem with 2020 JL 2.0 Liter Engine running hot at 35997 miles. Temp fluctuating to 3/4 then just below half in a constant cycle once High speed fan kicks in. Inactive Autostart warning light turned on. Never overheated to the point of engine light , no leak , no antifreeze smell but a little concerned that the heat did have some effect. Any way, still under warranty for 3 miles and the dealer just called; there is Jeep service bulletin that the thermostat housing bolts come loose causing a leak. He said it was leaking but not sure where. They will repair and he said they are replacing valve head gasket because they need to get to it. Of course mysteriously, both batteries are fried when tested so they are replacing those under warranty as well.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slightly confused, sorry. Valve head gasket? What is that? Do you mean just head gasket? Also unless I am mistaken the thermostat is on the bottom and you can get to the bolts without even remotely coming close to the head gasket? I would have some concern that they are removing my head, I don't know. And if there is a service bulletin it would tell them exactly what work is required?

Maybe I am mistaken, so I am going to research it a little more.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Slightly confused, sorry. Valve head gasket? What is that? Do you mean just head gasket? Also unless I am mistaken the thermostat is on the bottom and you can get to the bolts without even remotely coming close to the head gasket? I would have some concern that they are removing my head, I don't know. And if there is a service bulletin it would tell them exactly what work is required?

Maybe I am mistaken, so I am going to research it a little more.
He's talking about the gasket for the thermostat. Like many others, the two M6 bolts were not tightened down properly at the factory and they came loose. Jeep will replace the gasket, for mine, I just cranked down on the bolts and pressure tested it (I'm a mechanic so I have a good idea as to what to tighten down M6 bolts too). Plus the thermostat is on top of the engine. By the exhaust cam and turbo.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks for the explanation. So I wonder what is on the bottom that came loose on mine. It looks just like a thermostat housing, but could also just be a junction where is comes off the water pump or something.

So the bolts in question, for the thermostat are on the top. I think I will take a look and check mine before they come loose.

I have wrenched on pretty much everything I have ever owned so I feel comfortable checking into it myself. Any specifics on getting to those bolts? Anything that has to be removed? Or are they accessible?

Thanks for any info.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Would’ve taken the dealer 3 months and 8 throw-parts-at-it-see-what-sticks before they got it fixed😂

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ok, thanks for the explanation. So I wonder what is on the bottom that came loose on mine. It looks just like a thermostat housing, but could also just be a junction where is comes off the water pump or something.

So the bolts in question, for the thermostat are on the top. I think I will take a look and check mine before they come loose.

I have wrenched on pretty much everything I have ever owned so I feel comfortable checking into it myself. Any specifics on getting to those bolts? Anything that has to be removed? Or are they accessible?

Thanks for any info.
The thermostat housing PN #05048424AD . So if you search that number you'll see what it looks like. Also, typically car manufacturers put the thermostat on the top of the engine. There might be something in that other housing but I can;t find any reference to it having two thermostats (some cars have two (i.e. early 2000's Nissan Altima 4 cylinder).

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Would’ve taken the dealer 3 months and 8 throw-parts-at-it-see-what-sticks before they got it fixed😂
I don't understand why it takes some dealers so long. We just had a 2021 Ram 1500 with a thermostat plausibility problem (it needs a new thermostat). The local dealer couldn't see that truck for 3 weeks to fix it (as it throws a check engine light and thus will not pass emissions). It's a common problem and took me 30 minutes to change. Then clear the codes. Owner drove it for two days and it set the rediness monitors plus no check engine light. He was willing to pay to get it fixed (it was under warranty) as opposed to waiting just to get it in (let alone how long to fix it).

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey all, update. I needed some piece of mind, so I took the plastic cover off the top of the engine this weekend, found the thermostat and checked the bolts just make sure all was good and tight. Took less than 10 min. Start to finish.

Also FYI there is 3 bolts on the thermostat housing, 2 you can see from the drivers side, but the 3rd is hidden by a hose that runs over the top of it. You have to stand on the bumper or just crawl up in there, pop the hose off the clip and it is on the passenger side under the hose. So not 2 bolts, 3.

All is good and tight.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Ok, so first thing it is a T-30 not a T-27. I am not able to get a 1/4 drive ratchet, 1/4 socket and T-30 bit in there. Maybe if you had a bit,socket in one, but even then doubtful. Fortunately I do have a nice set of T star drives I bought to keep the Harley together years back. Which is now a permanent part of my jeep recovery gear. Lol.

I was able to get up in there and get a really good push on both screws. They are for sure tighter than they were out of the factory. I will keep an eye on this though just make sure there is not something else going on. Here's a couple pic.s. of the tool and the upper and lower bolts.

IMG_20211224_050256.jpg

IMG_20211224_050104_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20211224_045854.jpg
Can you circle the photos of the bolt you tighten? I can’t for the life of me locate these bolts

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know how to do that on my phone but look at the 2nd pic. See the metal pipe that has FCA on it. With numbers. The first 4 numbers 0504.

Then look to the bottom of the pipe in the pic. You see a black wire, and a black clip? Right between the wire and the clip is the screw head. There is a screw above that one and I couldn't get it in the pic. But it was the one that actually came loose. The top screw I put just over a full turn on, and the bottom one maybe a quarter turn.

Looking slightly to the left of the screw head there is a long black plastic harness/clip. If you remove that you could see the top screw.

I call them screws cause there so dam small, you can call them bolts or whatever.

Let me know if this helps. If not I will try to get a better picture, if I can. I will try to edit the pic. If I can, but I think I deleted it.
Sponsored