2.0l turbo question

Ericl

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Quick question, is the 2.0l a single or twin turbocharged engine?

Thanks
Advertisement

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect the eTorque part of the mild-hybrid system is what really makes the 2.0 turbo feel so good. The Wrangler doesn't need a smaller sequential turbo, because at low RPM, there's an electric motor twisting the driveshaft with a belt.

Now, you can get the 2.0L engine without eTorque, and this C&D article reads, " It's difficult to detect any difference between the 2.0-liter with electrical assist or without," but how can that be, when you're missing 70 lb-ft of instantaneous eTorque? But the same article does also read, "the automatic [transmission] is programmed to help mask any hint of turbo lag as the engine revs".

Hmmm. My only electric vehicle experience is with indoor go-karts, motorcycles, and bicycles, and it feels amazing how that instant motor torque scoots you up to speed. That's why I thought the electrical part of the eTorque system deserved more credit.

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
From what I’ve read the ESS and gear shifts are smoother on the e torque. I can attest to that...

SecondTJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I suspect the eTorque part of the mild-hybrid system is what really makes the 2.0 turbo feel so good. The Wrangler doesn't need a smaller sequential turbo, because at low RPM, there's an electric motor twisting the driveshaft with a belt.

Now, you can get the 2.0L engine without eTorque, and this C&D article reads, " It's difficult to detect any difference between the 2.0-liter with electrical assist or without," but how can that be, when you're missing 70 lb-ft of instantaneous eTorque? But the same article does also read, "the automatic [transmission] is programmed to help mask any hint of turbo lag as the engine revs".

Hmmm. My only electric vehicle experience is with indoor go-karts, motorcycles, and bicycles, and it feels amazing how that instant motor torque scoots you up to speed. That's why I thought the electrical part of the eTorque system deserved more credit.
The driveshafts are not being turned by a belt when BSG is active.

eTorque has the same problem with the 90 lb-ft unit on the 3.6 or even the 130 lb-ft unit on the 5.7 Ram, it’s barely noticeable. It has such a small operating range, idle to ~1500 rpm before the gas engine’s torque overrides the systems output.

Advertisement

Allmoparparts.com

Advertisement