2.0L Turbo Octane 87 or 91?

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I have a question for those who have a 2.0L Turbo engine. I’m looking to buy the 4xe and I thought that 2.0L recommended octane fuel was 87, but after doing more research, Jeep recommends 91 octane fuel. What octane rating are you using? Do you see an improvement in fuel economy and/or performance using 91 over 87?

"This [2.0L] engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2method. The use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing." - 2019 Jeep Wrangler manual.

I just want to add that the EPA fuel economy numbers for a regular Wrangler with the 2.0L are shown with the Regular fuel. This is disappointing, cause that seems the fuel economy numbers and yearly cost of fuel are misdirected.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have a question for those who have a 2.0L Turbo engine. I’m looking to buy the 4xe and I thought that 2.0L recommended octane fuel was 87, but after doing more research, Jeep recommends 91 octane fuel. What octane rating are you using? Do you see an improvement in fuel economy and/or performance using 91 over 87?

"This [2.0L] engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2method. The use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing." - 2019 Jeep Wrangler manual.
neither will cause issues for you.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Always run 87 in ours with no issues.
Gregj

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Being a lifelong gearhead, I just run whatever premium is available in the region. I like knowing I have max power available since I paid for the capability already.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As you're already aware, the Manual allows for Regular, but recommends Premium for maximum performance. A good example of the latter includes towing.

But for the 4 gallons of fuel that was added at the factory, my 2.0T has sipped on nothing but Hi Test from new. Similar to Daniel (preceding post), I always want to have something in my back pocket, in the event that I need it.

I'm pleased as punch with the performance of the 2.0T engine; to be fair, credit must be shared with the superlative 850RE transmission. The engine returns an average fuel economy that hovers between 25 -26 mpg. Again, no complaints.

One of my motorcycles requires 90 octane or better, so I'm already in the habit of pushing the right-most button on the pumps.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
neither will cause issues for you.
Although 87 is ok and will not cause any harm, many JL Turbo 4 Drivers I know like to err on the side of caution and use minimum 91 octane.

i dont know of any 3.6 drivers who use premium. If they are then they are better off saving their money as Premium has no benefits at all for the Pentastar.

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I get better gas mileage with 87 octane. And no, I didn't buy the JL for the gas mileage; just stating the facts!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0T is high compression and turbo charged. Also Syn+ oil spec is required (for a reason) to prevent or reduce wear from low speed pre ignition. Using the lowest octane that is "acceptable" doesn't add up to me.
Some of the first year 2.0T models came off the assembly line with the wrong oil weight and spec in them and required a customer service or tech service bulletin to correct it. That also gives me another clue that is important, or they would not have corrected it. Apparently the engine can get pre-ignition very easily is what I read between the lines. Higher octane runs cooler and reduces pre ignition. MPG is not my concern. When ever I can I use Sunoco 93 where avail or 91 at the lowest.

On a side note I'm willing to bet the dealer changed/put the correct oil cap on that reads 5w-30 per the TSB but likely did not change the oil. (I did it early @ 3K myself for this reason) I know mine was likely filled with the wrong oil as an addendum was included/inserted in my owners manual.

Last edited:

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
I get better gas mileage with 87 octane. And no, I didn't buy the JL for the gas mileage; just stating the facts!
i have had the same experience.

my average has gone from 14.5 to 17.1...

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
There is no misdirection there in my view.

The government test for MPG was established with 87 octane fuel as the standard. Jeep published the official results as they are required to.

As required Jeep built the engine to use 87 octane fuel. However, the engine will make more power and take advantage of the turbo engine's performance capability. That was Jeep's doing without concern for affecting the test results and conforming to the CAFE standards.

What's important to remember is that 2.0L turbo owners have octane options that could improve performance with higher octane fuel.

The question is will the MPG improve? That can only be answered by the owner who drives & fuels the vehicles which is the sort of test I am running now. I've burned through my first tank which was 87. Now I'm working on my second tank full with 91. We'll see what that test brings.

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I tried 91 early on but it made no difference in power and no difference in fuel econ. I've been using 87 since (2 years almost). I also live at 3600ft above sea level so potentially that's why regular is working fine. I'm sure if I towed with it in 100F heat it may knock. But where I live it hardly goes over 80F in summer. So that's another reason not to waste money on premium gas.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude

If you'll hop over to the 2.0L area of the forum you will find several long threads about all of this. Also, welcome aboard.

2.0L 4-Cyl Turbo Engine & Exhaust

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Mine runs 87 and has since new. For what it’s worth, my Ford E450 V10 owners manual says almost word for word about ”designed for 87 but for optimum performance use 91”. I have and will continue to run 87 in both. Vehicles run great, I’m not racing either of ‘em and the oil companies are making enough $$ as it is😏

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
Had my 2.0 turbo for about eight months. Gas tank was full from the dealer, no idea what they filled it with, since then it has been 91 octane. Gas keeps going up, that may change.
But I have to say, with an average of 26 mpg on the Hwy, I’m liking the mileage and performance of this little engine.
Sponsored