Sponsored

2.0L turbo Jeep Wrangler JL Delivered Today

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
My God people
Can we save this thread for people who are actually having experiences with the 2.0 turbo? I'm interested in what people that are driving them have to say, there are plenty of other threads about the hypothetical validity/usefulness/downfalls etc.. In other places.
I guess I can answer my own question at this point...
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Delete

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
You should go buy a lotto ticket.

Every single one I've seen since 1988 has leaked at the head gasket and many times also the oil filter mount and various other places. There are articles all over the web about the various places the 4.0 leaks from and fixes for some of them.

The cracked heads were common on WJs. The TJ had a slightly different spec.
OK, I see, all four of these were just "luck-o-the-draw" flukes.
I would suggest, it's probably something more quantifiable like, proper maintenance and care for all of them.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
OK, I see, all four of these were just "luck-o-the-draw" flukes.
I would suggest, it's probably something more quantifiable like, proper maintenance and care for all of them.
How should I properly maintain my rear main seal? It was leaking on my TJ, got it replaced when the clutch went, started leaking 10k mi later...

Not sure what kind of "proper maintenance" will stop a seal from going in 10k miles.

Same goes for my valve cover gasket. The TJ doesn't leak enough to leave spots anywhere, but the whole back of the engine is definitely coated in oil.

Sponsored

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
How should I properly maintain my rear main seal? It was leaking on my TJ, got it replaced when the clutch went, started leaking 10k mi later...

Not sure what kind of "proper maintenance" will stop a seal from going in 10k miles.

Same goes for my valve cover gasket. The TJ doesn't leak enough to leave spots anywhere, but the whole back of the engine is definitely coated in oil.
Was this vehicle purchased by you brand new? Sounds more like a warranty issue rather than a maintenance one, if this happened within 10K miles.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Was this vehicle purchased by you brand new? Sounds like a warranty issue if this happened within 10K miles.
Nope, bought it at 62k with it already leaking (but not very much). Replaced the RMS and clutch at 72k, was leaking again by 82k. Almost every 4.0L I see has the bellhousing wet with oil.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Would be the week that we buy a 3.6 that the turbos start coming out...
I'd stick with the 3.6. It'll be much more responsive for around town driving as the 2.0's torque doesn't come in til 3k rpm. That will be laggy in city driving.

Juuuust my two cents though.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
And... a big point that everybody is missing is that they are assuming the EPA window sticker numbers for the 2.0L turbo are accurate, which they have proven not to be on just about every other similar engine sold by competitors. So it is highly likely that in the real world, the actual MPGs on the 2.0L will be spot on what the numbers are for the 3.6L, which will push the 2.0L option further into the expensive category.

Sure, but EPA number vs EPA number is way better than "I get XX mpg" and comparing that to some other driver in another part of the country. The EPA number is not a mpg guarantee.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
...Its the fact that they took an iconic vehicle of the 80's and 90's, AKA, the Renegade, a perfectly good V8 with a ton of power/torque, and made it into a 4 cylinder piece of shit.

Ok, my rant is over.

Have a good one y'all!
I really think you should drive both vehicles back-to-back and let us know if you still hold the same opinion. I know where my money would be on that bet.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd stick with the 3.6. It'll be much more responsive for around town driving as the 2.0's torque doesn't come in til 3k rpm. That will be laggy in city driving.

Juuuust my two cents though.

No, no, no.
The 3K RPM is it's Peak Torque. Peak Torque for the V6 is at 4,800 RPM....plus the 2.0L has the eTorque. Adds 70 lb/ft at 1 to 1500 RPM.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
No, no, no.
The 3K RPM is it's Peak Torque. Peak Torque for the V6 is at 4,800 RPM....plus the 2.0L has the eTorque. Adds 70 lb/ft at 1 to 1500 RPM.
Well the 3.6 will have eTorque for the 19’s which will close the gap even more.

Still waiting for some good real world reviews of the 2.0 though.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
WHAT A WASTE of time reading this thread!
Turbo bashers always take over our threads - Stay on the 3.6 thread!
That being said, I will give a real world review in a couple of weeks when mine arrives.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation

Hahaha....my old TJ engine looked like it was dipped in oil.
Sponsored