Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
That funky jeep was the V8! But I guess they did bring back the euro bumpers for the JL lolol. It all started with yj.
That one had the 4.0. The CJ-7 Renegade had the 120 Hp V8 back in the late 70s and early 80s. I never drove one but a friend of mine told me it could "Pass everything except a gas station" lol
Sponsored

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
On a traditional engine, the fuel cleans the carbon off the valves as it goes by. That said, it's really not a big deal. DI engines have been around for a good bit. It will probably need a walnut blast on the valves every 60-70k or so. No engine is maintenance free.
True, no maintenance free engines. But DI engines require that additional expensive cleaning, further eliminating savings gained from increased fuel efficiency. We're not even discussing the price of rebuilding a failed turbo.

Saying it's really not a big deal is a generalization. Walnut blasting just doesn't clean all these deposits every time, in every situation. Sometimes, it is a big deal when the design of the platform and the application are not well suited for each other. High load and low speed are not the forte of DI engines. Nor are lots of idling. Maybe the engineers have designed this one correctly and it will be one of the better DI engines available. The likelihood is that the design is to boost fleet fuel economies, not design a durable engine.

Unless something's changed I don't believe the FCA lifetime warranty is transferable.
That is correct. The vehicle will stay titled in my name until the warranty is no longer useful (repairs exceed value of vehicle).

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
New things always scare people. To the point that they'll defend against it with everything they have.
We had only had the 4.0 engines in our Wranglers (which were bulletproof engines), so my first reaction to the new 3.6 was "bah, they're ruining a good thing!", but to hear everyone on here talking about them they must be pretty good.
This time around, we're not saying "bah,.." We are trying something new to see if it's a good fit and platform for Wranglers.
I cannot get on board with the "Crabs in a bucket" mentality however.
The 3.6 is a pretty good engine, based on my experience. The 2007-2011 3.7 was a steaming POS. LOVE the straight 6!

For me its not really about MPGs or regular vs premium fuel costs etc, Its about power loss at higher altitudes and a bit more sporty response. I'll have to drive them both before I buy one. I have had 3 Pentastars in a JKR/JKUR/WK2 Trailhawk, and I like the engine a lot. We bought a Focus RS a bit over a year ago and its the first turbo we've ever owned.....I know a JL is not a Focus RS but I'd like a bit more push/torque/spirited power delivery. I'm sure the 8 speed vs the 5 speed auto makes a big difference but I like the 295 ft/lbs at the much lower RPM then the Pentastar....

Also I live at about 4200 feet above sea level and often am higher than that.....The loss of power % with the forced induction is quite a bit less than an NA motor.

I doubt there is a huge difference between the 2 engines, especially at seal level but I think there will be a decent difference for those higher up....My .02
This. Most people holding out for the turbo 4 want rated power at altitude and low-end, flat torque. Neither of which you get with the V6. That being said, the 3.6 is still capable; even more so, I’m hoping, with the 8 speed.

As far as carbon buildup in general, Seafoam works wonders ;)

Plus, the smoke show is fun for the whole neighborhood.

Jsds1011

First Name
Jeffrey Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
You mean the 2.0 engine thats been in 2 Alpha Romeo models, or the ESS thats been proven in the Grand Cherokee and Durango, and the 8 speed Transmission thats been proven in just about all RWD Models made by FCA? The only thing that's really new to FCA in the 2.0 Jeeps is the ETorque system, and that's not even a new technology as its an electric motor/generator and they've been around for over 120 years.
You obviously type faster! All very true facts. People are so quick to judge something NEW, or at least what they believe to be NEW! That engine and transmission combo in the Stelvio rocks! You will be surprised, as I was floored.

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Well this is going about as well as I expected. People need to stop attacking each other's opinions and just let them be jeez.

The idea of having a turbo here in Utah is awesome, but I don't like the idea that engine is under more stress with even more added parts to have go wrong. That being said, I'll keep my mouth shut until real world feedback comes in.

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
If ya don't mind buying premium fuel, then get ya one! I like good ol' 87 myself. Lol!

msb

First Name
Spenser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Would be the week that we buy a 3.6 that the turbos start coming out...

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
New things always scare people. To the point that they'll defend against it with everything they have.
We had only had the 4.0 engines in our Wranglers (which were bulletproof engines), so my first reaction to the new 3.6 was "bah, they're ruining a good thing!", but to hear everyone on here talking about them they must be pretty good.
This time around, we're not saying "bah,.." We are trying something new to see if it's a good fit and platform for Wranglers.
I cannot get on board with the "Crabs in a bucket" mentality however.
The 4.0 was hit or miss. Some lasted a half million miles. Others had cracked heads and tons of other problems at low mileage. And regardless, they all leaked oil like sieves and made little to no power. They also drank gas. I think they made good boat anchors. But....compared to the other stuff available in the 80s and 90s they were better, so that's why they become legendary. It's all relative, I suppose.

The reason the 3.6L engine is so good is because FCA wisely left turbos, direct injection, etc. off that engine. It's a simple design. And simple is good. Simple lasts forever.

I think there are a lot of findings that show the soot and deposit buildup in GDI turbo engines is characteristic of the direct injection design itself. A problem with the designs at this point is that engineers are building to hit a spec and that spec is increased fuel efficiency, not long term durability.

If I were buying the 2.0T I'd be budgeting for the FCA lifetime warranty. Heck, I purchased the plan for my JL which is a 3.6 NA unit. I do plan, however, to turn the vehicle over to my kid one day as her first car and she's 8 right now.

Here's a great read which goes into the matter much more thoroughly than I can: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/10/solving-gasoline-direct-injection-issues-facts-fictions-gdi/
Direct injection is dirty. It ruins engines quickly. That's why Ford has scrapped all their original EcoBust engines and have a new crop now that has dual injection to try and keep things cleaner inside. If you want to know whether a vehicle has a DI engine or not, just look at the tail pipe. If it's black as coal, then it's a DI engine.

I can go a little further one that. Wanna know what disappointed me? It's not even with the new Wrangler.

Its the fact that they took an iconic vehicle of the 80's and 90's, AKA, the Renegade, a perfectly good V8 with a ton of power/torque, and made it into a 4 cylinder piece of shit.

Ok, my rant is over.

Have a good one y'all!
The CJ Renegade? 304 V8? Dude that thing was garbage. It didn't make enough power to get out of it's own way. That engine was a mockery to other 8 cylinder engines. A modern Pentastar V6 would run circles around one of those old CJs....and that's if you could get the CJ to run. We had a late 70s "Levi's" edition CJ with the 304 that wouldn't run worth a damn on the trail because the carb would run out of fuel on inclines.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
The 4.0 was hit or miss. Some lasted a half million miles. Others had cracked heads and tons of other problems at low mileage. And regardless, they all leaked oil like sieves and made little to no power. They also drank gas. I think they made good boat anchors. But....compared to the other stuff available in the 80s and 90s they were better, so that's why they become legendary. It's all relative, I suppose.

The reason the 3.6L engine is so good is because FCA wisely left turbos, direct injection, etc. off that engine. It's a simple design. And simple is good. Simple lasts forever.

Direct injection is dirty. It ruins engines quickly. That's why Ford has scrapped all their original EcoBust engines and have a new crop now that has dual injection to try and keep things cleaner inside. If you want to know whether a vehicle has a DI engine or not, just look at the tail pipe. If it's black as coal, then it's a DI engine.

The CJ Renegade? 304 V8? Dude that thing was garbage. It didn't make enough power to get out of it's own way. That engine was a mockery to other 8 cylinder engines. A modern Pentastar V6 would run circles around one of those old CJs....and that's if you could get the CJ to run. We had a late 70s "Levi's" edition CJ with the 304 that wouldn't run worth a damn on the trail because the carb would run out of fuel on inclines.
oh ok.

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase

I just love definitive, blanket statements that are all encompassing!
We owned 4 Wranglers, all of which had the 4.0. How many "leaked oil like sieves"... NONE, not a drop!
Which one of them had a cracked head....NONE!
Here is one of them right here.
AEVWheels.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You seem just as convinced as I am about any of his arguments. ;)
Yeah. I mean if I have to go deep into it, it's not even worth it. I would just rather be nice and not insult.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. I mean if I have to go deep into it, it's not even worth it. I would just rather be nice and not insult.
Agree, but sometimes its fun to fight it out. I'm wondering if there's any vehicle or engine he won't try to insult.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOL some people can't handle it..... The truth!

giphy.gif

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just love definitive, blanket statements that are all encompassing!
We owned 4 Wranglers, all of which had the 4.0. How many "leaked oil like sieves"... NONE, not a drop!
Which one of them had a cracked head....NONE!
Here is one of them right here.
AEVWheels.jpg
You should go buy a lotto ticket.

Every single one I've seen since 1988 has leaked at the head gasket and many times also the oil filter mount and various other places. There are articles all over the web about the various places the 4.0 leaks from and fixes for some of them.

The cracked heads were common on WJs. The TJ had a slightly different spec.
Sponsored