Sponsored

2.0L Turbo Engine Ordering NOW Open, $1000 MSRP Upcharge

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
manual is what, 10% of new Wranglers? They figure anyone stubborn enough to want one won't be picky about which engine. It's really not an area where the market is forcing them to do more at all. We're a dying breed, us manual people!
But the manual people are the pickiest of them all! :giggle:
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I wasn't the one who brought it up.

If we're talking performance, I'm concerned the 2.0 will fade away at higher revs whereas the V6 gives pretty much linear power delivery all the way up to redline.
I actually haven't seen power/torque curves of these engines and would like to. Ford offered a similar setup where V6 was base and turbo four was optional, and the four actually "fell on its face" power wise at very high revs, while it smoked the NA V6 from 1 to around 5,000rpm.

Let's be honest, 3,000rpm grunt is used a lot more often than 6,500rpm WOT power.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think the best thing the Turbo has going for it would be altitude performance, but it's just too new for me. I will let other people be the guinea pigs and watch from afar.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I think the best thing the Turbo has going for it would be altitude performance, but it's just too new for me. I will let other people be the guinea pigs and watch from afar.
I don’t mind being the guinea I’ll give reports on it , if I ever get it delivered lol

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Wow, if this is an unbiased review the turbo has piqued my interest. I'm glad I'm waiting to see which platform I find more desirable.
I e read a few very positive reviews on it

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
This. What's the 4 rated at, one whole mpg more? The low mid end power advantage is where that motor appears to shine. I won't buy it until I know it's proven, but who knows. If it's offered with a manual in coming years I could go that route.
Did they post the mileage ratings? I've been waiting to see what they were before making an ordering decision myself.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Did they post the mileage ratings? I've been waiting to see what they were before making an ordering decision myself.
I have not seen an official announcement

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
Has anyone taken delivery of a 2.0 turbo yet?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Torque is how much power the engine can make. Horsepower is how fast it can make it. If you're buying the 2.0L thinking it's going to be a lot faster than the 3.6L, you're going to be disappointed.

"But I can tune it and make big power!" Maybe...but not for now you can't. FCA is using secure gateway encryption and the word on the street is that unless you have the key, you cannot make changes to the ECU. And only dealerships are being given the key as of now. With all the sophisticated (and problematic) new technology under the hood on the 2.0L, I expect FCA to guard those ECUs very closely.

As far as why it's automatic only, the reason is because it's easier to control emissions and pass EPA testing with automatic transmissions. That's why we've seen V8 Camaros and Challengers hindered by "skip shift" features on their manual transmissions for many years. And it's the reason we haven't seen a light duty diesel 4x4 with anything other than an automatic trans. in the last 15-20 years.

We're lucky that they even offered the 3.6L with the manual.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Torque is how much power the engine can make. Horsepower is how fast it can make it. If you're buying the 2.0L thinking it's going to be a lot faster than the 3.6L, you're going to be disappointed.

"But I can tune it and make big power!" Maybe...but not for now you can't. FCA is using secure gateway encryption and the word on the street is that unless you have the key, you cannot make changes to the ECU. And only dealerships are being given the key as of now. With all the sophisticated (and problematic) new technology under the hood on the 2.0L, I expect FCA to guard those ECUs very closely.

As far as why it's automatic only, the reason is because it's easier to control emissions and pass EPA testing with automatic transmissions. That's why we've seen V8 Camaros and Challengers hindered by "skip shift" features on their manual transmissions for many years. And it's the reason we haven't seen a light duty diesel 4x4 with anything other than an automatic trans. in the last 15-20 years.

I saw a video where it was a full second faster 0-60 compared to the 3.6 L on you tube

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4

There is much more to the story than peak HP and Torque numbers. The 2.0 will outperform the 3.6. It’s because of power delivery.

Making power significantly earlier and for a longer period of time will allow this platform to be more driveable.

ECU swaps will be available just like they are for 15 and up FCA vehicles. Tuning will be a reality within a year. It isn’t the cheapest route, but it can be done.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter