Sponsored

2.0L Turbo Engine Ordering NOW Open, $1000 MSRP Upcharge

Templeton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Sport; Lexus GX
This is GREAT! Blue Ocean, check. Turbo engine, check. All I need now is the Power Hardtop And then I can place my order!!!!
Sponsored

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
a slushbox IMO is a DOWNGRADE!! turbo'd engines function better when when you shift when you want NOT when "big brother" wants to!!!

Let me guess .... Fast and Furious Mud Hole Drift? Lol

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Can you get the turbo on the base Sport models or is it on the pricier models only?

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Would I be able to change an order if I hit D1? Curious to see if the 2.0 is available now or it would it be delayed?

Edit: Just got a response from Craig. Looks like it’s too late. Oh well. I wonder if the engine choice is a late availability. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
The 2.0 is an awesome engine. I have a 2018 Alfa with that engine. If I hadn't already placed my order with the 3.6 I would certainly pay the extra $1,000 for the 2.0 turbo.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
The 2.0 is an awesome engine. I have a 2018 Alfa with that engine. If I hadn't already placed my order with the 3.6 I would certainly pay the extra $1,000 for the 2.0 turbo.
It seems to me the turbo requires premium gas which means it needs to get about 5 more mpg than the 3.6 for it to match my cash outlay for gas. Premium has become so much more expensive. I remember not too long ago when premium only cost about 10% more than regular. Where I live those days are over. This will be a factor in my final engine decision. Plus I have to see enough advantages for the extra $1000 cost.

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
It seems to me the turbo requires premium gas which means it needs to get about 5 more mpg than the 3.6 for it to match my cash outlay for gas, in that premium has become so much more expensive. I remember not too long ago when premium only cost about 10% more than regular. Where I live those days are over. This will be a factor in my final engine decision.
In the JL it is detuned to run on 87 octane so the gas price should not be an issue.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I’m sure the 2.0 is great... I must say however I do think you’ll love the 3.6, coming from my 2014 JKU, this feels like a completely different animal, I know most of it is thanks to the transmission but if I didn’t know it I’d swear it was not the same... really happy with it.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
In the JL it is detuned to run on 87 octane so the gas price should not be an issue.
Yes, but I believe higher octane is recommended for peak performance... I could be wrong.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Not according to the owner's manual.

FUEL REQUIREMENTS 2.0L Engine This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines. While operating on gasoline with the required octane number, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with a lower than recommended octane number can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering

FUEL REQUIREMENTS 2.0L Engine This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines. While operating on gasoline with the required octane number, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with a lower than recommended octane number can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle.
Satisfactory performance and satisfactory fuel economy...what does that mean? BMW says something similar but I don't think too many people put regular in theirs.

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA

It clearly says 87 can be used. The HP rating is 12 HP less and the torque rating is less due to the permisable use of 87.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Satisfactory performance and satisfactory fuel economy...what does that mean? BMW says something similar but I don't think too many people put regular in theirs.
It means you aren’t going to get stated MPG or HP/TQ with 87, but if it’s your only choice you are fine to use it.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
It clearly says 87 can be used. The HP rating is 12 HP less and the torque rating is less due to the permisable use of 87.
I still haven't seen any info on the mpg of the turbo. I stuck with the V6, I really wanted the turbo. It's made in Italy and I think that's why it's late availability. It's an awesome engine. It being part hybrid though requires another lithium battery. It'll need replace too. More money I don't want to have to spend along with a turbo if that goes out.
Sponsored