2.0L Turbo Engine Ordering NOW Open, $1000 MSRP Upcharge

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
There is so much stupidity in here its unreal. BaldEagle, the 2.0 turbo in the Alpha is a completely different application in the Wrangler. I has no BSG and is tuned for a different power delivery. It has an closed deck block which is stronger but the Wrangler has an open deck block which is better for cooling.

Sstarx3, being better in a straight line is not all a turbo does. coupled with the BSG and tuned the way it is, it delivers significant torque low in the RPM range to keep the Jeep driveable both on and off-road. I'm going to laugh at all these Pentastar fanboys who are going to be regretting their purchase once the 2.0 hits the streets.

I had a 2012 with the NAG1 and it was a significant upgrade over the 3.8, but based upon the reviews ive read and my knowledge of 2.0 turbo applications in other vehicles I am sure this is going to be the dark horse platform of the Wrangler.
It will be quicker but that’s it I don’t like the way or how a turbo sounds . Also in time you will have to rebuild the engine don’t want to deal with realibility issues . Live in Los Angeles always in traffic so not really going to take advantage of turbo .
Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
Those slamming the new and improved 6 speed are delusional at best. That new 8spd trans and 2.0t engine aren't gonna be cheap to fix, and I imagine they'll fail more than the simpler tech.

Like French said, $3,000 is not a trivial savings on a VERY likely more reliable combination. And last time I checked, the only way you're getting a 25mpg highway rating in the JL is with the m a n u a l V6

By the way, an automatic will never predict road conditions better than a seasoned manual driver. I've never met an automatic that will randomly kick down two gears at cruising speed in anticipation of imminent acceleration. Or one that engine brakes properly in the absence of a tow mode. What I have met is automatics randomly refuses to get out of Park because of some electronic gremlin.

You should call up Charlie Sheen and tell him about all that "winning" you're doing.
You mean the 8 spd that’s been in millions upon millions of vehicles worldwide? The one that’s currently one of the most trusted variants across manufacturers. I’ve seen many more modern manuals suffer catastrophic failure on the trail due to mud and water than any NAG1 equipped Wrangler.

I can do all the things you described with an automatic in it’s manual operating mode.

There’s no doubt the new manual is better than the old. I’m sure it will serve those who choose it well.

But just as the 5spd auto was the biggest improvement in the 2012s (some would argue the 3.6 but it was really the NAG1) the 8 spd is that for the JLs.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
You mean the 8 spd that’s been in millions upon millions of vehicles worldwide? The one that’s currently one of the most trusted variants across manufacturers. I’ve seen many more modern manuals suffer catastrophic failure on the trail due to mud and water than any NAG1 equipped Wrangler.

I can do all the things you described with an automatic in it’s manual operating mode.

There’s no doubt the new manual is better than the old. I’m sure it will serve those who choose it well.

But just as the 5spd auto was the biggest improvement in the 2012s (some would argue the 3.6 but it was really the NAG1) the 8 spd is that for the JLs.
Most trusted variants eh? Got a source for that random factoid? That's neat that apparently you have witnessed modern manuals failing all over the place, but that's probably not a reality, for, well, the rest of us. I've heavily wheeled, and it sounds like maybe you have too, and from a technical standpoint, an automatic has a clear advantage on the trail. It's nice, albeit not as fun, imho.

Yep, but the point was listing the 24/7 benefits you receive with a standard transmission. They ain't dead yet.

The updated automatic is very likely the biggest benefit that 90% of buyers will see. The 5 speed Daimler auto was very antiquated.

Thank you for your pleasant response. My points about simplicity, proven tech, reliability, and even MPG do remain. I suppose we can agree to disagree. Welcome to the forum, should you choose to stay.

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
Most trusted variants eh? Got a source for that random factoid? That's neat that apparently you have witnessed modern manuals failing all over the place, but that's probably not a reality, for, well, the rest of us. I've heavily wheeled, and it sounds like maybe you have too, and from a technical standpoint, an automatic has a clear advantage on the trail. It's nice, albeit not as fun, imho.

Yep, but the point was listing the 24/7 benefits you receive with a standard transmission. They ain't dead yet.

The updated automatic is very likely the biggest benefit that 90% of buyers will see. The 5 speed Daimler auto was very antiquated.

Thank you for your pleasant response. My points about simplicity, proven tech, reliability, and even MPG do remain. I suppose we can agree to disagree. Welcome to the forum, should you choose to stay.
But I wanted the last word.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I'm just the opposite, love the way a turbo sounds, to each their own :like:

But that's why I ordered a Turbo and you ordered a 3.6 ;)
Me too

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
There is so much stupidity in here its unreal. BaldEagle, the 2.0 turbo in the Alpha is a completely different application in the Wrangler. I has no BSG and is tuned for a different power delivery. It has an closed deck block which is stronger but the Wrangler has an open deck block which is better for cooling.

Sstarx3, being better in a straight line is not all a turbo does. coupled with the BSG and tuned the way it is, it delivers significant torque low in the RPM range to keep the Jeep driveable both on and off-road. I'm going to laugh at all these Pentastar fanboys who are going to be regretting their purchase once the 2.0 hits the streets.

I had a 2012 with the NAG1 and it was a significant upgrade over the 3.8, but based upon the reviews ive read and my knowledge of 2.0 turbo applications in other vehicles I am sure this is going to be the dark horse platform of the Wrangler.
That’s y I ordered the Turbo as well can’t wait till it arrives

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So much arguing going on in here... Why? Both engines are going to power a WRANGLER! It doesn't matter if its a V-6 or the Turbo Inline 4. I've been in wranglers powered by the old 2.5 liter AMC four banger (130 Hp) and they moved the vehicle just fine, so both of the engines that have nearly 3 times the horsepower of that old mill should move the JL with the speed the old wranglers never had, and pull them over rocks the old wranglers could only dream of, all the while getting better fuel economy than the old wranglers too.

Last edited:

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
while my Sahara order is in painted hard top limbo in the ordering system, I called my dealer and changed to the 2.0L Turbo. This is going to be a great powerplant for this vehicle. The best of both worlds with the combined low rpm battery assist and the higher rev turbo boost. The only real problem is to NOT leadfoot it to appreciate the turbo lol.

BTW, I've heard the same old "4 cyl" bashing rhetoric before... only it was when I bought my Audi S4 with the then-new Supercharged 6 cylinder. Previous S4's were 8cyl and the old guard was up in arms. Only when the new 6cyl model simply walked away from the old 8 cyl at stop lights and on the track did the old guard realize progress happens. Aftermarket exhaust setups provided the converted with their needed sound enjoyment.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think we should also remind everyone the original Willys MB had a 60Hp 2.2 liter flathead inline four and it helped win the biggest war this world has ever seen. Four banger bashing the new 2.0 just doesn't make much sense to me when it does the same thing as the v-6 with no reduction of capabilities.

On the other hand if someone is going to be smug about his 2.0, I'll just remind him that I still have 15 more Hp and run on 87 octane.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I have driven a turbo 4 Mustang and would have considered it for my Jeep but the auto transmission was a deal breaker...

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
So much arguing going on in here... Why? Both engines are going to power a WRANGLER! It doesn't matter if its a V-6 or the Turbo Inline 4. I've been in wranglers powered by the old 2.5 liter AMC four banger (130 Hp) and they moved the vehicle just fine, so both of the engines that have nearly 3 times the horsepower of that old mill should move the JL with the speed the old wranglers never had, and pull them over rocks the old wranglers could only dream of, all the while getting better fuel economy than the old wranglers too.
Not sure why it’s an upsetting topic for people lol

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
But I wanted the last word.
Don't bother getting into debates if you're gonna cherry-pick things to respond to, and randomly try to "get the last word in", haha

my summary: that 2.0T has great low-mid torque, and will be superior for ins and outs of daily driving. I don't enjoy its complexity and less proven nature in a Wrangler, but Jeep has blessed us with two engine options. Different strokes for different folks!

Also Wranglers are cool

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have driven a turbo 4 Mustang and would have considered it for my Jeep but the auto transmission was a deal breaker...
That 2.3 Ecoboost is sweet. Shame the exhaust note is inappropriately castrated considering its a Mustang.

and yeah, the automatic was a bit confused in the one I drove. they offer a manual and it's probably a great combo.

I do think Jeep should've sought a displacement higher than 2.0T. Thing could've made real power. But I suppose the Wrangler really needs to get serious about MPG these days.
Sponsored