First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sounds like to me it's a blown head gasket and instead of pulling the head, making sure it's straight and sticking on another gasket, they went the route that makes the most sense, replace the engine. What I've seen (as I had this issue) was a QC problem of not tightening the bolts on the lower water pump flange. Thus the coolant comes out and sooner or later, it'll overheat. Luckily I caught mine in time. Since I cranked down on those bolts, they have never come loose again. So it tells me that Jeep need to look at that workstation and recalibrate the torque gun or look at whoever is working that station (which will never happen).

When you mass produce things, there will be failures. I had a cell phone that failed in a month. Got a replacement and it was fine. Looking in the intranets, a few other people had the same issue, thus it can seem like everyone is having that problem, thus junk and you need another brand.
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Head gasket definitely was ruined after overheat issues. It should not have happened on a new vehicle...had to be worker screwing up during assembly of engine. Just wanted new owners to be aware of potential coolant leaks, etc. The service department and I never saw any indication of any coolant leakage before the engine failure.
You may not have seen any leaks, which can be tricky to find in a pressurized system, but your coolant was going somewhere.

Obviously, it was bypassing the head gasket. I suspect a defect in the gasket (rare) or potentially a flaw in the head mating surface.

No problems here evidenced by low coolant or milky oil.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Sounds like to me it's a blown head gasket and instead of pulling the head, making sure it's straight and sticking on another gasket, they went the route that makes the most sense, replace the engine. What I've seen (as I had this issue) was a QC problem of not tightening the bolts on the lower water pump flange. Thus the coolant comes out and sooner or later, it'll overheat. Luckily I caught mine in time. Since I cranked down on those bolts, they have never come loose again. So it tells me that Jeep need to look at that workstation and recalibrate the torque gun or look at whoever is working that station (which will never happen).

When you mass produce things, there will be failures. I had a cell phone that failed in a month. Got a replacement and it was fine. Looking in the intranets, a few other people had the same issue, thus it can seem like everyone is having that problem, thus junk and you need another brand.
Lazy American workers.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Originally.....but I believe some of the 2.0ts are now built in the US.
Hmmm...I have an '18, it says Italy on the window sticker. Very possible that they've shifted production back/forth with all that is going on in the world these days.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Think post '20 MY most of the turbos have been made in the USA. Nothing against it, but I prefer mine Italiano 👌

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Think post '20 MY most of the turbos have been made in the USA. Nothing against it, but I prefer mine Italiano 👌
My '22 is Italy. They're spinning up more US production, but there's still a lot being sourced from Italy.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Why? I'm just curious as to why an Italian would be better than a US version?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm just curious as to why an Italian would be better than a US version?
I'm just spitballing here:
When an engine is built in its home market (i.e., where it was designed), assembly line managers would have faster/easier access to the engineers who actually configured it, if or when design and/or production problems are identified and require resolution.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Yeah, it wasn't based in any specific evidence, more of a half joke. But I do remember that when I saw the made in Italy spec I was intrigued. I do like @Heimkehr 's reasoning though. Frankly the 2.0 seems like a win whether made in Italy, Mexico or the US, the OPs example notwithstanding.

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Just bad luck for you. I just towed a 2,000 lb trailer 400 miles with no signs of any heat issues watching both coolant and transmission temps. I was watching because I was seeing a constant 5-18 psi boost. Averaged 16.1 mpg with speeds between 65-70 mph in windy Wisconsin. I was impressed.
You have an after market boost gauge? If not, I'm not aware of a factory option to observe boost as I have the 2.0 and looked through the Uconnect options for one.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine has over 94,000 on it and it still runs like a champ. That being said i did have to take it in once for a coolant leak. The dealership told me they hadn't tightened up the clamp all the way from the factory. Don't know if that is true or not.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You have an after market boost gauge? If not, I'm not aware of a factory option to observe boost as I have the 2.0 and looked through the Uconnect options for one.
I purchased a Bluetooth OBD2 code reader, and plugged it in after adding the related app to my phone. This allows me to observe boost, among other metrics, in real time.

That said, just getting into low boost numbers required more right foot than I had guessed (which was a neat learning experience, otherwise.) With that in mind, the prior claim of "a constant 5-18 psi boost" is a bit difficult to believe, based on my own experience.

----------

The Tazer device for our Jeeps has a display option that allows the driver to observe the manifold pressure on the center TFT screen. Scroll to the bottom of the page here.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Appears there is a major engine cooling issue on new Jeeps and/or poor workmanship/quality control at factory.

Anyone else having engine, electrical issues with their Jeeps.

2022 JLUR four months old. No issues with my 2.0T cooling or workmanship. Hope your ride gets better for you.
Sponsored