2.0L Turbo engine blown at only 2,000 miles

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, Tundra, Highlander
Having the engine in my new 2022 Rubicon JUL replaced at only 2,000 miles. Lucky warranty is covering it. Started having overheat warningss and check engine light soon after purchase. Warning lights were intermittent. Seen at dealership service several times past few months for low coolant issues, bled coolant lines, etc. and now need new engine.

Appears there is a major engine cooling issue on new Jeeps and/or poor workmanship/quality control at factory.

Anyone else having engine, electrical issues with their Jeeps.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is probably poor work on the assembly line....had to be me!! LOL ! Glad yours is ok

OP
OP

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen several other posts on the forums about coolant problems....curious if there is a quality control or parts issue.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
The only issue I’ve seen posted about coolant is a faulty clamp that holds one of the small lines on the reservoir.

Why exactly is your engine being replaced? “Bled coolant lines and now need a new engine” doesn’t really give much info as to what the problem is and what caused it. Did you drive the vehicle without any coolant for a period of time? Did coolant enter the engine?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Over heat warning briefly came on....taken to dealership and they topped off coolant reservoir. Happened a second time and they said air was in coolant lines, replace all coolant and said I was good to go. Next day yellow check engine light came on and dealer said code showed cylinder misfire. They then found coolant in oil...

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I only have 4,000+miles on my 2.0T. No problems at all and it just rips.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Over heat warning briefly came on....taken to dealership and they topped off coolant reservoir. Happened a second time and they said air was in coolant lines, replace all coolant and said I was good to go. Next day yellow check engine light came on and dealer said code showed cylinder misfire. They then found coolant in oil...
Sounds like a bad head gasket. Did you notice any smoke from the tailpipe? Bad head gasket would let the coolant and oil mix.

OP
OP

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great!! I was hoping mine probably was a screw up during assembly and not the engine in general. Hopefully all will be good after new engine is installed. Was curious if there could be an overall problem with the 2.0 Turbo.

OP
OP

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Head gasket definitely was ruined after overheat issues. It should not have happened on a new vehicle...had to be worker screwing up during assembly of engine. Just wanted new owners to be aware of potential coolant leaks, etc. The service department and I never saw any indication of any coolant leakage before the engine failure.

Sponsored

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Just bad luck for you. I just towed a 2,000 lb trailer 400 miles with no signs of any heat issues watching both coolant and transmission temps. I was watching because I was seeing a constant 5-18 psi boost. Averaged 16.1 mpg with speeds between 65-70 mph in windy Wisconsin. I was impressed.

OP
OP

Darrell82

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just bad luck for you. I just towed a 2,000 lb trailer 400 miles with no signs of any heat issues watching both coolant and transmission temps. I was watching because I was seeing a constant 5-18 psi boost. Averaged 16.1 mpg with speeds between 65-70 mph in windy Wisconsin. I was impressed.
Not bashing the 2.0....engine has a lot of power. Seeing a lot of posts about coolant issues in a separate thread that appear to be quality control at assembly or something with parts. I'm sure mine was screwed up by assembly line worker.

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
I'm sorry that you got the forbidden milkshake in your crankcase, that sucks especially on a new car. Besides the head gasket, it could also a be an issue with the oil cooler. On the Alfa Romeo Giulia forums, there are quite a few cases of oil cooler failures on the 2.0 and I think that engine shares the majority of parts with our GME 2.0 other than the camshaft assembly.

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I didn't think you were bashing anything. I just wanted to share that I recently stressed mine, and it surprisingly went very well.

I do know how you feel though. My 2019 Subaru Ascent needed to have the transmission replaced at 10,800 miles. Also a very invasive surgery. But it was a good thing. I turned that Ascent into a Wrangler.
Sponsored