2.0L turbo 4 cylinder Hurricane engine

Njsoulis

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Prius
So, we've already established the FACT that the Pentastar is a faster engine with more "get up and go" on the highway compared to the diesel. But here's another shocker... the 2.0L Hurricane engine will start getting tunes, much like Ford's little 4-banger turbo gets for the Mustang cars, and then the 2.0L will be faster and more powerful than BOTH of the other Jeep engines! Crazy, eh? To think that the FACT is that the diesel will be the slowest most painful to drive engine option on a 4x4? That's just crazy. Times are definitely changing.

Stats show us that people cross shop the Wrangler and Mustang. Odd? Yes... but it's because both are convertibles. And using the Mustang example, a 4-cylinder turbo with nothing but a plug in tuner is faster than the V8 on the race track. It's been proven time and time again.

So getting this thread back on topic.. the Hurricane engine option for Wrangler is going to be very interesting. And I predict that it will be the biggest seller in the lineup because of it's ability to be tuned for power and it's fuel economy.
I see what you did there!

I am very much looking forward to the 2.0L Hurricane engine. As you mentioned, it will be interesting to see what the aftermarket can do with it.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Your profile says that you have a 97 TJ and an 08 WK, neither of which are "current models". What's you experience with 2012+ Wranglers with the 3.6L Pentastar?
Test drives.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
From the producers who brought you "The Real World", and the directors who brought you "The Real Housewives of New Jersey", the latest Fox SMASH HIT reality show....

people-fighting altered.jpg

Sponsored

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
My Various and Assorted Sources are Telling me that the "H" Engine has Launched at the Secret Downriver Location
(AKA Trenton Engine Plant. 2000 Van Horn Rd. Trenton, MI).
It is on the Same Exact, Precise Location they made B & RB V-8 Intake Manifolds Many Years Ago.
Also is on the Modified and Update Assembly Line that Made the T/S 4-Banger in Recent History.
Now If the Machine Shop can keep up making Enough Parts !
There is some kind of Good Karma about them being Assembled on that Spot.

Njsoulis

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Prius
My Various and Assorted Sources are Telling me that the "H" Engine has Launched at the Secret Downriver Location
(AKA Trenton Engine Plant. 2000 Van Horn Rd. Trenton, MI).
It is on the Same Exact, Precise Location they made B & RB V-8 Intake Manifolds Many Years Ago.
Also is on the Modified and Update Assembly Line that Made the T/S 4-Banger in Recent History.
Now If the Machine Shop can keep up making Enough Parts !
There is some kind of Good Karma about them being Assembled on that Spot.
I don't get, please excuse my ignorance and explain.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
The "H". Engine has started Production at Trenton Engine Plant North.
It's in the Old Plant Building.
On the same piece of real estate where V-8 engine parts were made.
More historical info about that real estate is available upon Request.
It's being assembled on the not too Old Tigershark Engine Line.
The Assembly Line was Updated and Modified for the "H" Engine.

Njsoulis

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Prius
The "H". Engine has started Production at Trenton Engine Plant North.
It's in the Old Plant Building.
On the same piece of real estate where V-8 engine parts were made.
More historical info about that real estate is available upon Request.
It's being assembled on the not too Old Tigershark Engine Line.
The Assembly Line was Updated and Modified for the "H" Engine.
So for superstition, this is a good thing. I get it.

Redeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197, E90 M3, '13 JK
So, we've already established the FACT that the Pentastar is a faster engine with more "get up and go" on the highway compared to the diesel. But here's another shocker... the 2.0L Hurricane engine will start getting tunes, much like Ford's little 4-banger turbo gets for the Mustang cars, and then the 2.0L will be faster and more powerful than BOTH of the other Jeep engines! Crazy, eh? To think that the FACT is that the diesel will be the slowest most painful to drive engine option on a 4x4? That's just crazy. Times are definitely changing.

Stats show us that people cross shop the Wrangler and Mustang. Odd? Yes... but it's because both are convertibles. And using the Mustang example, a 4-cylinder turbo with nothing but a plug in tuner is faster than the V8 on the race track. It's been proven time and time again.

So getting this thread back on topic.. the Hurricane engine option for Wrangler is going to be very interesting. And I predict that it will be the biggest seller in the lineup because of it's ability to be tuned for power and it's fuel economy.
You are right people cross shop (or second, third car shop) Mustang and Wrangler. I was one of them. Having looked into a '15 Ecoboost, I can tell you just anecdotally from the S550 forums and FB there's been more than a few guys who have blown up their tuned 4 bangers and not with overly aggressive tunes. There have been a few bad (untuned) engines from the factory too.

Not that that means the Hurricane will suffer the same fate but while the 2.0 may become the fastest/most powerful JL engine and the de facto go to for the tuner crowd it will also come at the cost of reliability, something Jeep is not exactly known for to begin with. I will be cautiously optimistic and see how the early Hurricane owners go. I'm sure there will be some brave souls who tune it shortly after bringing it home.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You are right people cross shop (or second, third car shop) Mustang and Wrangler. I was one of them. Having looked into a '15 Ecoboost, I can tell you just anecdotally from the S550 forums and FB there's been more than a few guys who have blown up their tuned 4 bangers and not with overly aggressive tunes. There have been a few bad (untuned) engines from the factory too.

Not that that means the Hurricane will suffer the same fate but while the 2.0 may become the fastest/most powerful JL engine and the de facto go to for the tuner crowd it will also come at the cost of reliability, something Jeep is not exactly known for to begin with. I will be cautiously optimistic and see how the early Hurricane owners go. I'm sure there will be some brave souls who tune it shortly after bringing it home.
That's exactly what I am thinking too. Wait a model year and see how it goes with people tinkering on the Hurricane. If they roast the tires and still hold up over time, I'm sold.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The "Hurricane" moniker goes way way back to the F -head 4 cylinder , semi-overhead ( intakes in head, exhaust in block) 134 cubes.About 75 hp. Produced from 1952 -1970. First in the M38A1, then in the CJ5 ( 1955 on).
History lesson aside, the " new" Hurricane only comes paired with an AUTOMATIC .
That's a non- starter for me.

EazyT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
I'm looking forward to 2.0t available trim levels and pricing. I can't see it costing much more for an engine with less HP and a couple MPG improvement? Although truth be told, I am willing to pay more to avoid the 3.6. I am also crossing my fingers that the sources are incorrect and the 2.0t will be available with a manual, the 8 speed is solid but in my "fun" car, I don't want an automatic.

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Does anyone here have any thoughts about the new Hurricane engine? What do you expect the numbers to be? Better fuel mileage? How about towing? There seems to be very little chatter about this engine.
The 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo in the Alfa Romeo Giulia makes 280 hp / 306 lb ft. I think we can expect that the 2.0L Hurricane engine for the Wrangler should be about the same power level.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo in the Alfa Romeo Giulia makes 280 hp / 306 lb ft. I think we can expect that the 2.0L Hurricane engine for the Wrangler should be about the same power level.
Why would you expect that?

- The alfa is a premium performance vehicle, the Wrangler is not.

- That FCA Jeep has put it as the base engine, below the Pentastar, means that it won't surpass the Pentastar's power numbers.

- 305+ lb/ft of torque would be a better fit for a Rubicon than even the most hopeful PSU/PUG update, even the RAM Pentastar is is 269lb/ft with 305 HP, yet again the Hurricane is the base engine... because that space is already filled, and there is an even bigger option coming in also.

- The Stelvio's engine would not be a good fit for a rock crawler, as it would run hot and cool poorly, whereas a more sedate tune gives you more reliability which is better for a Wrangler, and also for possibly your high production engine.

There's very little to indicate something like the sport-tuned Alfas, but alot to hint that it will be nothing like that.
Sponsored