Sponsored

2.0L turbo 4 cylinder Hurricane engine

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Does anyone here have any thoughts about the new Hurricane engine? What do you expect the numbers to be? Better fuel mileage? How about towing? There seems to be very little chatter about this engine.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since it's only available with the automatic ( 8spd), it's "probably" going for highway fuel economy, not towing. It will bolster the daily driver crowd that still wants the cool look of a Wrangler, not a Renegade, Cherokee or whatever.
Since there are many TJ "echoes" in the JL, the 4 cylinder is a good choice for many that fit in that category.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I doubt it'll be over 280 HP/280 lb/ft. It isn't replacing the pentastar so they'll make the power output in line with a "base" engine.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
It'll be a fine little hamster wheel for grocery-getting.

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
A shame it won't be offered with the manual. It would be fun to dial up the boost and see what it does.

Sponsored

OP
OP
digitalbliss

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm curious to what the JL/JLU tow ratings will be. I know that the Pentastar engine wasnt the limiting factor. Maybe the little 2.0L turbo will keep the Jeep in the same max tow rating range. My Jeep will be a grocery getter 99% of the time. I do want to get a pop-up camper for family outings though. I really wish they would release the specs for the different configurations! :)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Does anyone here have any thoughts about the new Hurricane engine? What do you expect the numbers to be? Better fuel mileage? How about towing? There seems to be very little chatter about this engine.
It's unlikely to be a 300/300 unit like that found in it's Italian cousins, I expect it to be closer to the more pedestrian tinyturbo4 2.0s out there with 270lbft / 250 HP range. As mentioned in previous discusions/threads, design considerations already have it as a low-power commuter variant, not a hyper-turbo sport variant of the 2L 4 cylinder.

IMO, if they are smart, then they make it a 'regular' gasoline capable 2.0 Turbo like the new VW Tiguan's B-cycle engine , which offers great fuel efficiency on the cheaper fuel. Paying for Supreme fuel for increased MPG seems like an oxy-moron trade-off as your base model. If they aren't going with a bigger Naturally Aspirated 4-cylinder then a sedate tune with 87 octane support like the VW makes sense, not cranking it up to sports car levels.

I dunno what they will give us, but something closer to this is my hope;

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...w-b-cycle-engine-for-improved-efficiency.html

PS, most of our chatter was earlier in the year and late last year when the announcements and spy photos came out. We discussed this previously a few months back citing the design considerations too.

Last year in other forums we went over torque curves, turbo lag, etc extensively, at this point it's a case of no new news to move the discussion forward.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Since it's only available with the automatic ( 8spd), it's "probably" going for highway fuel economy, not towing. It will bolster the daily driver crowd that still wants the cool look of a Wrangler, not a Renegade, Cherokee or whatever.
Since there are many TJ "echoes" in the JL, the 4 cylinder is a good choice for many that fit in that category.
Totally.

What does everyone think the max mileage would be on a 2.0L 4-cyl ...

1. with a soft top and soft doors ?
2. with no top and no doors ?

19/29?
22/32 ?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My guess is the 4 cyl will offer EPA rating of 24 highway, 18 city. We're still pushing a brick through the wind people. The current EPA rating is 21/16. Drag will be improved on the new one, so I'm guessing at a 1mpg increase in rating for the JL.

Gas is pretty cheap right now though.. and my TJ with 33's/2" lift and a 5.7 Hemi (87 oct) get's 17 highway (@70mph), 12 city. The 4 mpg loss (which equates to ~$30/mo) is easily worth the trade off for the extra power.

Still buying a JL though... as much as the extra $25k towards the JL sounds nice, I know I'd regret selling the TJ. The extra creature comforts and ride quality will be a nice change for daily use. I'll probably buy the penstar option and trade it in for the diesel once it's out.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
We kinda covered the MPG extensively already...

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...or-2018-wrangler-jl-jlu.1139/page-2#post-5279

Soft top it worse aerodynamically, simply because it creates a lot of non-smooth surfaces and still has a giant drag-inducing rear end.

Top-off is less aerodynamic (I notice it most when driving into a headwind and the RPM level vs top up. As for doors off I doubt the weight saving make up for the aerodynamics.

In the end it's about 1MPG difference negative, though not as bad as sunrider down-only which is likely the least aerodynamic of all.

The best bet for MPG is with diesel because of the energy benefit of the fuel itself. The Hurricane, even if they go VW B-cycle style efficient still won't break 30MPG highway. Heck the Renegade and Fiat 500 barely make 31 on the 1.4L engine and a lot less weight and better aero.

Again 30 MPG is dreamland for anything other than diesel, and even that will be tight.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Why would they offer a turbo-4 and a V6 that have similar power numbers? Ford did this with Mustang for a year or two...then dropped the V6. I think they were clearly testing the water all along. I don't look for both of these engine options to remain on JL for the entire run. Perhaps only a year or two.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Why would they offer a turbo-4 and a V6 that have similar power numbers? Ford did this with Mustang for a year or two...then dropped the V6. I think they were clearly testing the water all along. I don't look for both of these engine options to remain on JL for the entire run. Perhaps only a year or two.
Doesn't matter to me. Diesel or bust baby!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Doesn't matter to me. Diesel or bust baby!
I suspect that a LOT of guys will be saying that when they walk into the dealership.

Then, when they see that fuel economy is virtually the same as Hurricane or Pentastar, purchase price is $4,500 higher, there is no manual transmission option, and oil changes are $100 each...they'll leave with a gas engine.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that a LOT of guys will be saying that when they walk into the dealership.

Then, when they see that fuel economy is virtually the same as Hurricane or Pentastar, purchase price is $4,500 higher, there is no manual transmission option, and oil changes are $100 each...they'll leave with a gas engine.
Unless you need to tow. I want a vehicle that can tow two snowmobiles / UTVs or even a Ski boat. The Grand Cherokee can do this with the V6 Diesel so that would be one thing that Pentastar and Hurricane can not. Also based on the other thread the 4cyl is the mild-hybrid, so its going to be 100% mall crawler status.

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green

Haha, isn't that the truth! I'm one of the people looking for the diesel as well; however, for me to pay upwards of 4-5k for the engine it will have to both tow more (or at least better) and offer some great advantages off road (I.e extremely low torque curve compared to the revised Pentastar).
Sponsored