OP
OP
digitalbliss

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Unless you need to tow. I want a vehicle that can tow two snowmobiles / UTVs or even a Ski boat. The Grand Cherokee can do this with the V6 Diesel so that would be one thing that Pentastar and Hurricane can not. Also based on the other thread the 4cyl is the mild-hybrid, so its going to be 100% mall crawler status.
The Pentastar 3.6L in the existing JK is not the bottleneck in towing. I hope the JL tow ratings go up. and I hope the 3.0L moves it further, but I doubt it. I think the suspension, stability, etc... will bottleneck the tow ratings before the engine will. How much towing does the 3.6 in the current Grand Cherokee allow for? (its 6,200 lbs)
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
My reason for wanting a diesel isn't to tow some gargantuan trailer, but to have a Jeep that can get out of it's own way, which the current models cannot do. I will tow an 1800 lb pop-up, but that's it. Also, gas mileage matters. The fact that all Jeeps to date get worse MPG than 2 ton trucks is beyond stupid. I expect 27 MPG or better on an unloaded road trip.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
My reason for wanting a diesel isn't to tow some gargantuan trailer, but to have a Jeep that can get out of it's own way, which the current models cannot do.
It's pretty fast unless it's geared for efficiency, the Diesel will likely not improve acceleration (thanks to added weight), nor mid-range power delivery, nor top speed, so that diesel's going to be in the Pentastar's way, especially with the PSU/PUG update imoroving early torque delivery on the Pentastar, and then the ZF 8 adding a better 1st gear and wider spread than either current transmission.

I expect 27 MPG or better on an unloaded road trip.
That's the only place the diesel will do well (other than towing and stump pulling/rock crawling, the later of which I'm interested to see the new PSU/PUG and Turbo4 which I expect to be laggy), and it's because of the energy in the fuel that MPG will be good, the fact that it's a heavier brick being ploughed throuh the wind means it won't be nearly as good as people dream, but slightly better than the TinyTurbo4 and the Pentastar.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duplicate

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My reason for wanting a diesel isn't to tow some gargantuan trailer, but to have a Jeep that can get out of it's own way, which the current models cannot do. I will tow an 1800 lb pop-up, but that's it. Also, gas mileage matters. The fact that all Jeeps to date get worse MPG than 2 ton trucks is beyond stupid. I expect 27 MPG or better on an unloaded road trip.
I feel you 100% on this. My biggest gripes about my JKU is lack of power (mostly when it comes to HWY) and terrible steering feel (1-2 inches of play when turning side to side). With that said I think the diesel is going to allow it to have the power to get out of its own way due to the TQ. I think it will also help it hold speed when combined with the new 8-speeds gearing on the hwy, all while giving better fuel economy. I'm sure the V6 Pentastar and will be close to the MPG estimates given by FCA but what those don't factor in is adding larger tires. I plan to run 37s and the low end TQ of the diesel will help reduce those 37s from eating into the fuel economy too much. For comparison my JKU averaged 16-19 mpg around town prior to my 2.5" lift and 35x12.5x17 tires, now it averages 10-13 mpg around town. I'm a betting man and willing to bet you wont see this kind of MPG decline on the diesel.

NOTE: Edited for my terrible typing

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.0L Hurricane will probably look very much like Volvo's impressive T6-4 Cyl.
Highly unlikely. The Volvo is tuned to the 9s, beyond even the Italian FCA Turbo2s, and everything sofar says the deck and many compinents on the Hurricane are more pedestrian than what's in the Alfas like the Stelvio.

Even just FCA's positioning of it as the base engine means it's power numbers will be nothing like the Volvo's and more like the Mercedes 2.0 or the Old Checy 2.0 or the Ecobust 2.0 in the 240-250HP / ~275lbft range, not the New GM LTG or Alfas, let alone the top of the charts Volvos.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel you 100% on this. My biggest gripes about my JKU is lack of power (mostly when it comes to HWY)
Torque doesn't help on HWY to overcome wind/rolling resistance, HP does, and the diesel will be down on that regardless of the gearing, it will pop into whatever RPM range gives it enough HP. If you're at pedestrian HWY speeds it won't matter, but if that's the case the Pentastar is already doing the job for you.

I think it will also help it hold speed with the new 8-speeds gearing on the hwy, all while giving better fuel economy.
Gearing doesn't change the HP required to overcome resistance, but if the required HP casn be attained through an optimal RPM for efficiency, then that's why you want the added Overdrive, to give you efficiency at keeping a desirable RPM and fuel consumption rate, it doesn't change the HP. And as before if you couldn't get there with the current 285HP of the Pentastar, then it's not getting there with 240HP of the EcoDiesel.
However both might find better cruising RPMs with more overdrive options, and the ability to slip down an axle ratio at the same time.

I'm sure the V6 and will be close in the estimates given by FCA but what those don't factor in is adding larger tires. I plan to run 37s and the low end TQ of the diesel will help reduce those 37s from eating into the fuel economy too much.
Yes torque can help there too, especially initially, the question will be the 20-35MPH segment where they may overlap. As for the efficiency, we'll see, it's still got a lot of weight, rolling resistance and air resistance to deal with, thankfully the diesel has ~15% more energy per Litre/Gallon to begin with.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
No doubt the 3.6 will be the fastest, but I'm curious if the diesel will be faster than 2.0 engine (1/4 mile times).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The Pentastar 3.6L in the existing JK is not the bottleneck in towing. I hope the JL tow ratings go up. and I hope the 3.0L moves it further, but I doubt it. I think the suspension, stability, etc... will bottleneck the tow ratings before the engine will. How much towing does the 3.6 in the current Grand Cherokee allow for? (its 6,200 lbs)
The bottleneck with the JK was cooling. That came from a Jeep engineer.

Sponsored

Gavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Subaru Forester, Toyota Prado, soon JL Wrangler?
If 2.0 is like this Volvo engine, I'll seriously consider it....

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As mentioned, the diesel won't make the Jeep faster. It'll make it slower. Horsepower is the measurement you're looking at if you're thinking speed. Either of the gas engines will trounce the diesel in a drag race.

Towing also won't go up with the diesel. The Wrangler is a high center of gravity 4x4 with a convertible top and the hitch bolted to a crossmember instead of frame rails. It's a towing/hauling engineer's worst nightmare. It would be dangerous to rate the Wrangler for big towing numbers, which they will not do. We may see a small increase, but the Wrangler will never tow what the other midsize 4x4s in the segment will be rated to tow.

Again, I'm a big fan of diesel power. But in the Wrangler it makes zero sense. It's going to be very expensive to purchase, maintain, and repair...and it's not going to do anything better than the gas engines to make it worth those trade-offs.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Towing also won't go up with the diesel. The Wrangler is a high center of gravity 4x4 with a convertible top and the hitch bolted to a crossmember instead of frame rails. It's a towing/hauling engineer's worst nightmare. It would be dangerous to rate the Wrangler for big towing numbers, which they will not do. We may see a small increase, but the Wrangler will never tow what the other midsize 4x4s in the segment will be rated to tow.
Agreed.
IMO, the main benefit of diesel for towing is when you're going up-hill, and wanting to accelerate and decelerate and accelerate again with a mild load, not a massive trailer.
The barriers to max towing capabilities are elsewhere in the Wrangler setup, but the thing diesel will do is make towing a pop-up trailer, small boat, or a pair of Seadoos/Skidoos easier off the line or for merging , and less stressful going up mountainous terrain.

Again, I'm a big fan of diesel power. But in the Wrangler it makes zero sense. It's going to be very expensive to purchase, maintain, and repair...and it's not going to do anything better than the gas engines to make it worth those trade-offs.
Agreed. It'll help a bit off-roading for Rock-crawling, but at a steep price (for engine PLUS required Trans upgrade) likely requiring a high trim-level entry-point, plus be heavier for both those things.

Now for long range overlanding I can see it being a benefit, as for both towing a camper or putting on a tent-top, the range will likely be extended by about 100 miles vs the Pentastar or TinyTurbo4, but only about 75 for normal workload overlanding or just commuting, so not super impressive, and for that diesel price premium (or less) just add a 10, 15 or 20 gallon in-line extended fuel tank and you get 200+ miles added range.

I still think it's good to have options (yes I still want the Hemi that will never come) but I think a lot of people have way too high expectations for either the diesel or the tinyturbo4.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I totally agree with Wxman in his previous post. The "old diesels" are nothing like the "new" diesels. The initial cost, high cost maintenance requirements, higher cost of diesel fuel will mean this is a limited appeal vehicle in the Real World of "benefit vs expense".
Even fuel economy , on paper, doesn't always add up to real-world savings when the " true cost" of maintenance, fuel, and initial investment are factored in.
If your 3.6 JK "can't get out of its own way", something is wrong. My 2dr, 3:73 , 32" tires,6 spd, is peppy and fun to drive.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
When I get my JLU diesel, I'll drag race any one of you gas guzzlers, anywhere. It'll be a beat down, and will continue for 100+ more miles than the range on yours.

:muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:
Sponsored