Sponsored

2.0L oil, am I crazy?

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
When you figure your tire size you need to measure from the center of the wheel to the ground as the weight will decrease that measurement.
Two times that measurement will give you your weighted diameter.
Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
There is no such thing as a "more purified version". All oils are filtered at such a level that impurities are removed to the micron level. The only major difference between Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra is the additive pack in Ultra is more potent allowing it to manage acids for a longer period of time thereby allowing it to be used for a longer oil change interval.

EVERYTHING else is only marketing. Unless there are tribologists here with access to lab equipment and controlled test routines, none of us are going to be able to truly discern any radical differences between oils that carry the same specifications.
This is why I have gone beyond the Penzoil Ultra Platinum for my oil. I go with Super Ultra Mega Pure Jadeite Fortified Oil for my cars. The most pure and most best oil that you can ever have. It's so good that when I did the blackstones on it, they tell me to send the old used oil out of my cars to people that have wear issues. This is because it adds material back to all lubricated surfaces, thus brings back old engines to life. I'm ready to start a malware marketing program that will show everyone out there that this is the best.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I have gone beyond the Penzoil Ultra Platinum for my oil. I go with Super Ultra Mega Pure Jadeite Fortified Oil for my cars. The most pure and most best oil that you can ever have. It's so good that when I did the blackstones on it, they tell me to send the old used oil out of my cars to people that have wear issues. This is because it adds material back to all lubricated surfaces, thus brings back old engines to life. I'm ready to start a malware marketing program that will show everyone out there that this is the best.
Ummm....what? What nonsensical bovine scatology is this?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so hear me out, I accidently did the past oil change on both my and my wife's JLU Sport S with Pennzoil platinum. I didn't really notice any different performance wise but....... my wife got new wheels/tires (32", on Sahara wheels), and I upgraded to 33" on Rubicon wheels. my MPG went DOWNNNNNNN like a lot from 22ish down to 15-16. I realized that when I ordered my oil last (I buy it in bulk) I was sent the platinum instead of the ultra platinum. I just did oil changes on both and MPG is now up to 19-20 (I only do city) and my wife is up to 26 (she does highway mostly). It is really possible that oil can make THAT much of a difference? We both fill up at the same gas station using the same 91 every time, nothing else has been done/changed that would cause a change in MPG that I can think of. Has anyone else noticed this?
Nope. You wouldn't have a perceptible difference from Ultra to Platinum or any other oil, even if the viscosity you used went from a 5w30 to a 0w20. There are MANY variables to fuel economy, but brand and viscosity of oil can only get you very slight changes that I'd argue are not perceptible by the seat of the pants.

I'm assuming both oils you used were 5w30. I don't think these days Ultra Platinum is that different from Platinum. The viscosity of the two are nearly identical, cold or hot. They both use Gas to Liquid (GTL) as a base oil, so only the additives are different, and again, not by much.

Go to Pennzoil's product data sheets and see for yourself. Nearly identical.

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
So you upgraded to 33" wheels on your Sport S. Did you also recalibrate your speedometer? That will throw off your odometer as well because it thinks you're going a shorter distance (it's calibrated to your previous/smaller tires).
You do not need to recalibrate the stock wheels on sports and Rubicon wheels take off ( 285/r12/17) . There is so small difference. This has been mentioned many times in this forum including me - See my profile.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
You do not need to recalibrate the stock wheels on sports and Rubicon wheels take off ( 285/r12/17) . There is so small difference. This has been mentioned many times in this forum including me - See my profile.
I think you'd be wise to recalibrate your speedometer if for no other reason than to accurately track the miles you've put on your Wrangler. That's a disclosure violation if you sell it to someone else or trade it back in. I understand it's minor, but it is still inaccurate. If off the lot you were to put on Rubicon takeoffs your speedometer is off by 3mph at 80 mph. You're going 83 when it looks like you're going 80. I like to drive about 9 over the speed limit so if my speedometer said 79 I'd probably be closer to 82 and more likely to get a ticket. I know, I could just 'remember' and mentally recalibrate, but my wife wouldn't know or remember to do that. Additionally, if you were to trade it in at 100,000 miles, you've actually put 103,750 on it. Just something to think about; I'm not here to tell anyone what to do or what's best.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I think you'd be wise to recalibrate your speedometer if for no other reason than to accurately track the miles you've put on your Wrangler. That's a disclosure violation if you sell it to someone else or trade it back in. I understand it's minor, but it is still inaccurate. If off the lot you were to put on Rubicon takeoffs your speedometer is off by 3mph at 80 mph. You're going 83 when it looks like you're going 80. I like to drive about 9 over the speed limit so if my speedometer said 79 I'd probably be closer to 82 and more likely to get a ticket. I know, I could just 'remember' and mentally recalibrate, but my wife wouldn't know or remember to do that. Additionally, if you were to trade it in at 100,000 miles, you've actually put 103,750 on it. Just something to think about; I'm not here to tell anyone what to do or what's best.
So which in your opinion is worse?
Odo off by 3% ?
speeding by 13% over the limit?

jus saying.....
Sponsored