scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
When I upsized my Sport S to 33.2" tires, I lost a lot of MPG and never really could figure out how to minimize it. I also bought a Tazer JL MIni to recalibrate my tire size but still took a significant hit in MPG's. The Sport S with 3:45 gears does NOT like larger tires. I would routinely be between 15-17 mpg in the city on a good day.
I knew i wasnt going to get my usual 25 MPG that i was when i have the stock wheels and tires on, but i didnt see it dropping down to 15 lol. After the oil change (back to what i was using) boom shot right back up to my current 19-20.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
After the oil change (back to what i was using) boom shot right back up to my current 19-20.

I might add stardust to my oil next time and pixie piss to my gas. Maybe Itll give me better MPG.

Also you started this post today, and now, today, you already know what the MPG on your Jeep is with a new oil?

giphy.gif

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Well, keep in mind the 2.0 oil spec is MS 13340 not MS 6395. MS 6395 is the spec for the 3.6L V-6.
Gregj

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
His mileage went up not down and engines run better in the cold. Cold air is more dense. Summer hot humid air is less dense and hot intake air also causes the pcm to pull timing.

That being said I can't see how the oil could have made that much difference. My bet is that the vehicles adaptive data updated over time from the change in tire size and weight and your driving habits..
Read his post again. He went down from 22 to 15-16.

OP
OP
scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I might add stardust to my oil next time and pixie piss to my gas. Maybe Itll give me better MPG.

Also you started this post today, and now, today, you already know what the MPG on your Jeep is with a new oil?

are you good? I posted this today as I have noticed the change over the past week(s) in both Jeeps, if you're just going to be a sarcastic ass move on and save your negativity for somewhere else. If you need the exact days of the oil changes. I did my wife's on Oct. 27th 2021 right before taking it up to Vermont for a wedding from that point to now she has but 1600 miles on it with much better average MPG (resetting it after filling) also see picture if you need proof. Now I just did mine on Saturday Nov. 20th (unsure of exact time of day sorry) from that point to now my JLU is seen a large jump in MPG again I drive the same route every day and its all city (I can map it out for you if you need). From Saturday until now (I also filled up on Saturday afternoon/evening) I have jumped from 15 to 19.8 again nothing else has changed.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L oil, am I crazy? IMG_0021

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L oil, am I crazy? IMG_0021

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Well, keep in mind the 2.0 oil spec is MS 13340 not MS 6395. MS 6395 is the spec for the 3.6L V-6.
Gregj
It's just oil. Use the proper SAE spec and change it when the computer tells you to. Jumping those parking stoppers at the mall gonna cause you more problems than what the dinosaur ate before he rotted into crude.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
An 80 year old man was having his annual checkup, and the doctor asked him how he was feeling.

"I've never been better!" he boasted.

"I've got an eighteen year old bride who's pregnant, and having my child! What do you think about that?"

The doctor considered this for a moment, then said, "Let me tell you a story. I knew a guy who was an avid hunter.

He never missed a season. But one day went out in a bit of a hurry, and he accidentally grabbed his umbrella instead of his gun."

The doctor continued, "So he was in the woods, and suddenly a grizzly bear appeared in front of him!

He raised up his umbrella, pointed it at the bear, and squeezed the handle."

"And do you know what happened?" the doctor queried.

Dumbfounded, the old man replied "No."

The doctor continued, "The bear dropped dead in front of him!"

"That's impossible!" exclaimed the old man. "Someone else must have shot that bear."

"That's kind of what I'm getting at..." replied the doctor.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
It's just oil. Use the proper SAE spec and change it when the computer tells you to. Jumping those parking stoppers at the mall gonna cause you more problems than what the dinosaur ate before he rotted into crude.
I mentioned it because the wrong spec was being quoted in the thread. And the Ultra Platinum doesn’t list the MS 13340 spec on any bottle I’ve seen.
Gregj

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Read his post again. He went down from 22 to 15-16.
It went down after changing the wheels, but if you read even further it then went back up to 19-20 after changing the oil. He's asking why it got better.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Okay so hear me out, I accidently did the past oil change on both my and my wife's JLU Sport S with Pennzoil platinum. I didn't really notice any different performance wise but....... my wife got new wheels/tires (32", on Sahara wheels), and I upgraded to 33" on Rubicon wheels. my MPG went DOWNNNNNNN like a lot from 22ish down to 15-16. I realized that when I ordered my oil last (I buy it in bulk) I was sent the platinum instead of the ultra platinum. I just did oil changes on both and MPG is now up to 19-20 (I only do city) and my wife is up to 26 (she does highway mostly). It is really possible that oil can make THAT much of a difference? We both fill up at the same gas station using the same 91 every time, nothing else has been done/changed that would cause a change in MPG that I can think of. Has anyone else noticed this?
The pink wheels will help with the MPG, your wifes Jeep has pink wheels so she gets better fuel economy there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The pink wheels will help with the MPG, your wifes Jeep has pink wheels so she gets better fuel economy there.
LOL. I had to think about that for a second 😂😂

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If it made that much of a difference, then the performance of the vehicle is required to suffer too. You can't have one or the other. Sounds like you have lots of variables and trying to nail it down just to the oil. I'd suspect if just the oil makes that big of a difference, there would have been a 500 page thread on this already. People put all sorts of oil in their 2.0T and people would be reporting on this by the thousands. On top of this, it would be the same for other vehicles.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It was still 5w30, can the platinum and ultra platinum really be THAT much different?
No, that is not possible. Viscosity is viscosity no matter the brand provided it carries certifications.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
No, that is not possible. Viscosity is viscosity no matter the brand provided it carries certifications.
It's that the Ultra Platinum used a more purified version of Platinum which is why it carries the Pennzoil Certified seal of approval. On the other hand, I use oil that is pretty much unknown and thus all of my motors will wear out and give horrible gas mileage. I do this because I want to test the engineers at Jeep as they know the best because of their excellent track record of reliability. For my Jeep it's getting this in 100 miles. Hopefully my motor will survive this.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It's that the Ultra Platinum used a more purified version of Platinum which is why it carries the Pennzoil Certified seal of approval. On the other hand, I use oil that is pretty much unknown and thus all of my motors will wear out and give horrible gas mileage. I do this because I want to test the engineers at Jeep as they know the best because of their excellent track record of reliability. For my Jeep it's getting this in 100 miles. Hopefully my motor will survive this.
There is no such thing as a "more purified version". All oils are filtered at such a level that impurities are removed to the micron level. The only major difference between Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra is the additive pack in Ultra is more potent allowing it to manage acids for a longer period of time thereby allowing it to be used for a longer oil change interval.

EVERYTHING else is only marketing. Unless there are tribologists here with access to lab equipment and controlled test routines, none of us are going to be able to truly discern any radical differences between oils that carry the same specifications.
Sponsored