2.0L oil, am I crazy?

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
Okay so hear me out, I accidently did the past oil change on both my and my wife's JLU Sport S with Pennzoil platinum. I didn't really notice any different performance wise but....... my wife got new wheels/tires (32", on Sahara wheels), and I upgraded to 33" on Rubicon wheels. my MPG went DOWNNNNNNN like a lot from 22ish down to 15-16. I realized that when I ordered my oil last (I buy it in bulk) I was sent the platinum instead of the ultra platinum. I just did oil changes on both and MPG is now up to 19-20 (I only do city) and my wife is up to 26 (she does highway mostly). It is really possible that oil can make THAT much of a difference? We both fill up at the same gas station using the same 91 every time, nothing else has been done/changed that would cause a change in MPG that I can think of. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

shindleria235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Okay so hear me out, I accidently did the past oil change on both my and my wife's JLU Sport S with Pennzoil platinum. I didn't really notice any different performance wise but....... my wife got new wheels/tires (32", on Sahara wheels), and I upgraded to 33" on Rubicon wheels. my MPG went DOWNNNNNNN like a lot from 22ish down to 15-16. I realized that when I ordered my oil last (I buy it in bulk) I was sent the platinum instead of the ultra platinum. I just did oil changes on both and MPG is now up to 19-20 (I only do city) and my wife is up to 26 (she does highway mostly). It is really possible that oil can make THAT much of a difference? We both fill up at the same gas station using the same 91 every time, nothing else has been done/changed that would cause a change in MPG that I can think of. Has anyone else noticed this?
not exactly the same case, but i used one of my jeep wave oil changes last month, and on the printout, they seem to have put in 5w-40 instead of 30. unsure what brand they used, presumably mopar as they're the dealership i bought my 2.0L from.

I haven't had a chance to call, but have been doing research myself on how oil weight might affect performance. my turbo is laggier than usual, and my MPG is down a solid 2-3mpg. thing is, winter is setting in here in VA and i'm willing to bet that has more to do with it for me. tire pressure, weight/loadout, etc. all constant.

one other thing i'll say - in addition to the engine seeming to work harder, at least until it's been warm for a while, my oil pressure has been 2-5 psi higher. I watch it like a hawk now, and since i've owned it, it's seemed to be in the 16-18 psi at low stage/RPM, and 42-46 during acceleration or high speed/RPM. now it's reliably 18-21psi and 48-52, respectively. having a hard time convincing myself this and the MPG aren't related to the oil weight.

thanks for reading my essay!

OP
OP
scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not exactly the same case, but i used one of my jeep wave oil changes last month, and on the printout, they seem to have put in 5w-40 instead of 30. unsure what brand they used, presumably mopar as they're the dealership i bought my 2.0L from.

I haven't had a chance to call, but have been doing research myself on how oil weight might affect performance. my turbo is laggier than usual, and my MPG is down a solid 2-3mpg. thing is, winter is setting in here in VA and i'm willing to bet that has more to do with it for me. tire pressure, weight/loadout, etc. all constant.

one other thing i'll say - in addition to the engine seeming to work harder, at least until it's been warm for a while, my oil pressure has been 2-5 psi higher. I watch it like a hawk now, and since i've owned it, it's seemed to be in the 16-18 psi at low stage/RPM, and 42-46 during acceleration or high speed/RPM. now it's reliably 18-21psi and 48-52, respectively. having a hard time convincing myself this and the MPG aren't related to the oil weight.

I'm thinking they are absolutely connected, I mean my only difference was palatium to ultra platinum and I noticed a HUGE difference!

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
So you upgraded to 33" wheels on your Sport S. Did you also recalibrate your speedometer? That will throw off your odometer as well because it thinks you're going a shorter distance (it's calibrated to your previous/smaller tires).

OP
OP
scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you upgraded to 33" wheels on your Sport S. Did you also recalibrate your speedometer? That will throw off your odometer as well because it thinks you're going a shorter distance (it's calibrated to your previous/smaller tires).
First thing I did after putting then on!

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
First thing I did after putting then on!
Just a thought, but did you measure your tire's height, or just go wtih 33"? I have 35" tires, but measured they are 34 and a few hairs. I set my tires if I remember correctly to 34.5". I could be wrong on that one, but your tires may not be a true 33" tire. Worth a shot maybe?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

The cold viscosity stayed at 5 so it will not add drag to the engine. The top number identifies the breakdown point in hot climates and higher engine temperatures. Unless you're running in hot weather with the engine screaming, you should not notice a reduction in MPG between 5w30 and 5w40. If you do, that means the 40 just saved your engine from damage since it held up to the heat. Your mpg most likely dropped with the temperatures outside.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I can tell you that all of our techs have told me that if they don't run Mopar or an MS-6395 oil in the 2.0 they will have problems in the future. My store is a GM/CDJR, and they try to put dexos oil in everything because it's cheaper.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
When I upsized my Sport S to 33.2" tires, I lost a lot of MPG and never really could figure out how to minimize it. I also bought a Tazer JL MIni to recalibrate my tire size but still took a significant hit in MPG's. The Sport S with 3:45 gears does NOT like larger tires. I would routinely be between 15-17 mpg in the city on a good day.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Keep in mind that winter blend fuel will result in lower mpg. Add to that the engine does not run as well in the cold so that will also reduce mpg.
His mileage went up not down and engines run better in the cold. Cold air is more dense. Summer hot humid air is less dense and hot intake air also causes the pcm to pull timing.

That being said I can't see how the oil could have made that much difference. My bet is that the vehicles adaptive data updated over time from the change in tire size and weight and your driving habits..

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You need to tell the computer you have bigger tires now. It isnt the oil or the "premium gas" all that platinum this and that is a bunch of rubbish. Ive used pennzoil platinum and premium or wtver it is called depending on which one is cheaper at the moment and performance is the same.

If you already calibrated, well... Dont expect to get better mileage with offroad tires than you did with street tires. I have rubicon wheels/tires as well. And I get 15mpg on city driving with winter gas.

Also from the factory my Jeeps tire size in the computer was set way high. Perhaps thats why they run such high psi at the dealers. A lot of the MPGs I saw on my Jeep where not real because my tires were not that large.

Did you get KO2s or falkens M/T?

OP
OP
scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to tell the computer you have bigger tires now. It isnt the oil or the "premium gas" all that platinum this and that is a bunch of rubbish. Ive used pennzoil platinum and premium or wtver it is called depending on which one is cheaper at the moment and performance is the same.

If you already calibrated, well... Dont expect to get better mileage with offroad tires than you did with street tires. I have rubicon wheels/tires as well. And I get 15mpg on city driving with winter gas.

Also from the factory my Jeeps tire size in the computer was set way high. Perhaps thats why they run such high psi at the dealers. A lot of the MPGs I saw on my Jeep where not real because my tires were not that large.

Did you get KO2s or falkens M/T?
I changed the tire size right after the last lug nut was torqued down lol. And i went with Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse tires.
Sponsored