Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
16 JK, 18 JL 2.0T, 22 Wagoneer 3.0TT
Occupation
Senior Category Manager – Domestic Tuning at Holley
I'm not usually one to put this sort of thing out on public forums, but maybe you can help out since I got 0 response from emailing superchips directly. Our jeep started running poorly and throwing low fuel pressure codes. Took it to the dealer two weeks ago. They say that it's the pcm that needs replaced, not under warranty because it's the unlocked one I got from superchips. Here's the kicker. Nation wide back order, not estimated to arrive until December 29th. My jeep is stuck at the dealer, waiting on what is presumably your failed part. I emailed about you guys sending me a new pcm, as I will swap it myself at the dealer if need be. No response from superchips. Between the dealers questionable competence and the absence of customer service on your end, I am at a loss. Even FCA corporate didn't seem willing to help. @JeepCares maybe you can help push this along? I have a case number from FCA, I have receipts from superchips. Clearly this is why so many are hesitant to modify their vehicles, as a month and a half without my Jeep is ridiculous.
If you haven't heard from our team yet, I am going to PM you an email address to reach our support manager so he can get this sorted out.
That said, nothing we do to the pcm will cause any failure that wasn't already going to happen, if you follow what I mean. If the pcm indeed failed, it was a defect in that PCM, which happened to land in our building as opposed to going in a production vehicle. They are 100% production PCMs so any failure is rare but production modules do fail occasionally. We're generally much more skilled at troubleshooting the PCMs than any dealership and we'll gladly get it in here and check it out and fix it if needed.

Thanks
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Can you take it to a different dealer? Sounds like your service writer Sucky McShitpants is exploring all of the possible options to do things out of warranty before exploring possible solutions under warranty, at your expense, in typical scumbag stealership fashion.
It's basically un-driveable and towing to another dealer would be more trouble than it's worth. I'm hoping superchips can send another pcm that I can install to prove to the dealer that the pcm isn't the issue.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I hate having to make this post, but superchips claimed powertrain warranty is useless. Don't bother buying their products. We've gone from "no problem we can have you a new pcm by Saturday " to "you need to jump through a bunch of hoops 1st". Started with them saying they need the serial number off the trail dash 3, which I just ordered directly from them and could provide order numbers, shipping confirmation, etc. "Can't ship you a pcm without the serial number". Take a half day off of work and drive 100 miles to pick up the unit they sold me for the serial number. "You haven't updated the td3, still won't send you a new pcm" I guess I'll jump through that hoop on Saturday (the day I should have has the part to fix my jeep). Maybe they'll ship it Monday, maybe I'll get a new pcm from them before the dealer gets one. Then I can take more time off work, pick up my broken jeep from the dealer, and attempt to fix it myself. Some fucking warranty this has turned out to be. I'm about to get a lemon law attorney and let jeep and superchips figure out which one of them gets to buy back this POS that neither seems willing or able to fix in a timely manner.

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry about that. They need the serial to get the skim data that your device saved initially so they can program a new pcm and send it to you and have it actually start the Jeep.
I can understand your frustration, but this issue doesn't really fall under the Superchips powertrain warranty, although we are trying to do the right thing and replace the pcm for you to see if it helps.

Thanks

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Sorry about that. They need the serial to get the skim data that your device saved initially so they can program a new pcm and send it to you and have it actually start the Jeep.
I can understand your frustration, but this issue doesn't really fall under the Superchips powertrain warranty, although we are trying to do the right thing and replace the pcm for you to see if it helps.

Thanks
The jeep doesn't run, allegedly due to the component provided by superchips, but it doesn't fall under the superchips powertrain warranty? What could possibly fall under your warranty if the pcm doesn't? Meanwhile the dealer obviously won't warranty your part, which is why I suggest everyone be leary of your product. Finger pointing from both sides effectively resulting in no warranty at all. The jeep was definitely improved by the td3, when it worked. Being without my vehicle for a month and a half with no loaner or rental and very little support on either side completely obliterated the mild improvement. Run the jb4, remove it if you need warranty work, and save yourself all the headaches. If you are going to go the pcm swap route, pay the core charge and keep your stock unit for this kind of issue.

Sponsored

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The jeep doesn't run, allegedly due to the component provided by superchips, but it doesn't fall under the superchips powertrain warranty? What could possibly fall under your warranty if the pcm doesn't? Meanwhile the dealer obviously won't warranty your part, which is why I suggest everyone be leary of your product. Finger pointing from both sides effectively resulting in no warranty at all. The jeep was definitely improved by the td3, when it worked. Being without my vehicle for a month and a half with no loaner or rental and very little support on either side completely obliterated the mild improvement. Run the jb4, remove it if you need warranty work, and save yourself all the headaches. If you are going to go the pcm swap route, pay the core charge and keep your stock unit for this kind of issue.
I'm honestly not looking to argue with you, and I understand you are frustrated, but if the pcm actually failed on its own, its a very strange and random occurrence. More than likely, something on the vehicle caused the pcm to fail (electrical) or something that was done to the vehicle or pcm, etc, could have caused it. We're working to get a replacement sent out to eliminate that variable asap.

Thanks

tumal

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S

Glad I found your post. Any update?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Glad I found your post. Any update?
It was a bad pcm, the dealer got a stock one in the same day that superchips got me the new one. Running great on the factory pcm, I'll swap the superchips one in at some point. I'll keep the back up stocker in the tool bag just in case. Hindsight I would have kept the factory pcm for $600 as a back up. I love the product when it's working, but I did end up with the jeep on the trailer twice as a result.

dswift09

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '17 VW GTI, '17 MB GLC
Any long term update from anyone who’s made the switch?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Any long term update from anyone who’s made the switch?
Going on a year tuned using the td3, but tunes are the same as flashpaq. The performance tune is awesome and pretty much all we run. Our build is HEAVY. Skids, winch, sliders, tools and recovery gear always stay in the Jeep, etc. With just me in the Jeep it weighs 5540lbs. Loaded with camping gear, dog, my 21 year old son, wife, etc. We are probably pushing 6200lbs. Testing 0-60, it will still hit 7s flat at 5540lbs, 38x13.50's, 3.5" lift etc. thanks to the tune. The best part is the tuning cured the weird charging issue we had with the 2.0t etorque setup in 4LO. 3-5 different times before the tuner, crawling in 4LO, as soon as you stopped while still in drive the voltage would begin to plummet. Both in moab on hells revenge and on imogene pass in CO the voltage dropped low enough to trigger warnings and limp mode. This is the reason I bought the tuner. My theory was it was a software issue related to the torque limiting that Jeep puts in in 4lo. We've now spent days in 4lo with 0 voltage issues. It's never dropped before 13.2V while running since. It was down to 9v on hells revenge. The other features of the td3 are great such as access to locking the diffs, disconnecting the sway bar, etc but were redundant as we already had the tazer. My only gripe is within the 1st month we had a pcm failure of the unit sent from superchips. Granted had I understood it to be a pcm issue and went to superchips 1st they may have handled it better. Unfortunately I took it to the dealer. Had to buy a pcm from them, meanwhile superchips did send me a new unlocked version. Their customer service completely stopped responding when I suggested they should reimburse me for the $1,100 the dealer charged me, as I was also without my vehicle for a month and a half this seemed reasonable. The 9 months since obviously prove their pcm caused the issue. In the bright side I now have a stock pcm in the tool bag just incase.

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Going on a year tuned using the td3, but tunes are the same as flashpaq. The performance tune is awesome and pretty much all we run. Our build is HEAVY. Skids, winch, sliders, tools and recovery gear always stay in the Jeep, etc. With just me in the Jeep it weighs 5540lbs. Loaded with camping gear, dog, my 21 year old son, wife, etc. We are probably pushing 6200lbs. Testing 0-60, it will still hit 7s flat at 5540lbs, 38x13.50's, 3.5" lift etc. thanks to the tune. The best part is the tuning cured the weird charging issue we had with the 2.0t etorque setup in 4LO. 3-5 different times before the tuner, crawling in 4LO, as soon as you stopped while still in drive the voltage would begin to plummet. Both in moab on hells revenge and on imogene pass in CO the voltage dropped low enough to trigger warnings and limp mode. This is the reason I bought the tuner. My theory was it was a software issue related to the torque limiting that Jeep puts in in 4lo. We've now spent days in 4lo with 0 voltage issues. It's never dropped before 13.2V while running since. It was down to 9v on hells revenge. The other features of the td3 are great such as access to locking the diffs, disconnecting the sway bar, etc but were redundant as we already had the tazer. My only gripe is within the 1st month we had a pcm failure of the unit sent from superchips. Granted had I understood it to be a pcm issue and went to superchips 1st they may have handled it better. Unfortunately I took it to the dealer. Had to buy a pcm from them, meanwhile superchips did send me a new unlocked version. Their customer service completely stopped responding when I suggested they should reimburse me for the $1,100 the dealer charged me, as I was also without my vehicle for a month and a half this seemed reasonable. The 9 months since obviously prove their pcm caused the issue. In the bright side I now have a stock pcm in the tool bag just incase.
Thanks for this post. I am planning to do this tune but only if they sell me a PCM. I want to keep my stock one.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Thanks for this post. I am planning to do this tune but only if they sell me a PCM. I want to keep my stock one.
Hindsight, I would have gladly paid the extra $600 to keep my stock pcm. It would have saved me $500, multiple trips to the dealer, and a month and a half without my Jeep because of supply chain issues. They give you the option when you order, trying to save a buck screwed me for sure.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Been running their performance tune for almost 2 years and still love it. No issues at all.

Drew4xE

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xE
Do you have one for a 2022 4XE Rubicon?

I purchased a tune from you guys about 2 years ago for my JKU Sport with 35". Works very well.