2.0L Engine Coolant Overheating, 2k miles

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
I turned my month-old JL 2.0L in for service today because the engine coolant temp rises occasionally, sometimes high enough (250 deg) to trigger the red alarm screen. As anticipated the dealer does not have a quick fix. The fan definitely runs. Makes no difference if the AC is on or off. The temp guage slowly rises to the 250 deg alarm threshold and then suddenly drops back down. Happens most often at medium speeds (40-50 mph).

IMG_0021.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So it never stays high? It drops back down all on its own?

How long does it take for it to rise again?

Maybe air in the system or a bad sensor or sticky thermostat?

OP
OP

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
So far it drops back down on it's own, and very quickly. It behaves like a sticky thermostat, which I discussed with the dealer, but in their opinion the situation was odd enough to escalate to "STARS" rather than to just start replacing parts. I'll post a follow up when we get to the bottom of it.

OP
OP

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
They say it's not a sticky thermostat because there's a sensor for that and an error would be logged. They've drained fluids from the engine and run pressure tests. Nothing conclusive yet. Communication with Jeep and the dealer has been very poor. There's not much urgency to repair my month-old overheating JL. Guess it's time to brush up on lemon laws.

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They say it's not a sticky thermostat because there's a sensor for that and an error would be logged. They've drained fluids from the engine and run pressure tests. Nothing conclusive yet. Communication with Jeep and the dealer has been very poor. There's not much urgency to repair my month-old overheating JL. Guess it's time to brush up on lemon laws.
Hope they get it resolved asap.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
My vehicle is still at the dealer. Each day they run a test and then we wait for a recommendation. Loosing faith in FCA rapidly.

OP
OP

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
Sending Jeep a Virginia Lemon Law notice Monday. Three weeks and zero progress. Chrysler Customer Care, Jeep Wave, and STARS are all a dysfunctional clusterf*ck of a group at attempting to resolve an issue or provide basic customer service.

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU - Sting Gray 2.0L Hard Top Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
:(

I'm in VA too. Bought my Jeep from Lindsay Jeep Manassas. They've my Jeep now. 200 miles after ownership, a CEL showed and the fan was permanently on. Engine doesn't overheat, though, but it drinks fuel pretty good. I took it to the dealership yesterday and the called me and told me that it was an issue with the cooling pump. They've to replace it. I'm awaiting the ordered part to arrive and they said it should arrive on Monday and they will install it when the receive it.

After reading all of these horror stories, I don't trust them to get it right.

Keep us updated, even with the lemon law process.

OP
OP

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
Well, it’s official. After three weeks in the shop Jeep has decided I need a complete new engine at 2,000 miles. They estimate another 2 weeks for the “repair”, so a month after buying a car I spend 5 weeks without it. The dealer has done well. I can’t say the say for CFA.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Well, it’s official. After three weeks in the shop Jeep has decided I need a complete new engine at 2,000 miles. They estimate another 2 weeks for the “repair”, so a month after buying a car I spend 5 weeks without it. The dealer has done well. I can’t say the say for CFA.
That sucks, can you lemon law it yet and start fresh? 2 weeks is good for an engine swap, I know someone who waited a bit over two months for a Maserati (also FCA) engine replacement to be approved and installed under warranty.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Please let us know what you find. I am hoping we can learn the detail of the fault.

lagunajim

As long as the dealer mechanics are competent, replacing the entire engine is scarier than it sounds. All the connections are still clean and fresh, so it's "unplug", replace, "plug in", done. Good luck with it!!

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ducati 900ss
Occupation
Professional MacGyver
If they are replacing the engine, my guess would be a blown or defective head gasket. A telltale sign would be a smoking out of the tail pipe and/or oil in the water/water in the oil.

Certainly disappointing, I hope they make it right for you.