2.0L engine, 88 ethanol free vs 91 ethanol

gotime4

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ocean Blue, 2019 Ram 1500 etorque Laramie
i live in Utah, so high altitude, trying to understand which is better for the turbo?

88 ethanol free vs 91 with ethanol.

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Higher altitude means cooler temperatures, the 88 non ethanol has more energy (BTUs), try it.
I use 90 octane , non ethanol, elevation sea level to 2000 ', great mpgs and performance.
I'm thinking colder winter temps in Central New York could see 89 octane, which is a blend of 91 non ethanol, and 87, 10% ethanol , work well. The better informed on this will chime in soon..
Question ; does ethanol keep Direct Injection engines from carbon deposits, make it worse, or no difference ?

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
i live in Utah, so high altitude, trying to understand which is better for the turbo?

88 ethanol free vs 91 with ethanol.
91 will be the recommendation for better performance potential. It may be a matter of you experimenting with both... looking at gas mileage, costs associated with both levels of fuel, etc. You will read posts that swear by the increased performance and costs savings in using the higher octane fuels and you will re other posts that say it runs great on 87 octane, which is the recommended octane for the 2.0 L Turbo for everyday driving. The higher octane levels are typically recommended for turbo engines and in hotter weather conditions, but you really need to run your own experiments and tests.

I am currently running experiments with my 3.6 L V6, running a tank of 93 octane in it. Just curious. So far, in runs just as well with 87 octane. No pinging with both levels of gas and gas mileage is about the same... 16.5-17 in town.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Higher altitude means cooler temperatures, the 88 non ethanol has more energy (BTUs), try it.
I use 90 octane , non ethanol, elevation sea level to 2000 ', great mpgs and performance.
I'm thinking colder winter temps in Central New York could see 89 octane, which is a blend of 91 non ethanol, and 87, 10% ethanol , work well. The better informed on this will chime in soon..
Question ; does ethanol keep Direct Injection engines from carbon deposits, make it worse, or no difference ?

Here's an additional thought for you with respect to carbon deposits. If you think about your PCV valve and crankcase ventilation, you know your engine is sucking in, through the throttle body, and intake valves atomized air/oil out of the crankcase during normal engine operation. Will the fuel quality make any difference at all considering what I've just started on a long time scale?

I say this because that atomized oil will create carbon deposits regardless. An article for further reading if you have an interest.

http://blog.wiseco.com/common-causes-of-blowby-and-oil-consumption

Advertisement

Rock Krawler

Advertisement