Sponsored

2.0L coolant reservoir leaking

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2o21 willys sport unlimited
11500 miles on 2o21 Willys 2.0L
Took it for errands this morning. Short trip, maybe 10 miles. After parking it, smelled that recognizable scent of hot coolant. No visible fluid puddles underneath. Decided to check on it when it cooled down.
An hour later, I popped the hood open and found dried coolant on the reservoir(firewall).
Can't get it in the dealer till Thursday. Oh well. Good thing, we have another ride to get around.

IMG_20221010_131953~2.jpg

IMG_20221010_132024~2.jpg

IMG_20221010_132804~2.jpg
Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
If you want, and can, take the cover off the top of the engine. 2 bolt's, 2 tabs. Look right on top over the turbo there sits the thermostat housing. There 3 bolts try tighten those. It takes about 3 to 5 min. For the whole operation.

For whatever reason (probably the assembly line) some 2.0's leak from the thermostat housing.

Best of luck.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
gd3mats

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want, and can, take the cover off the top of the engine. 2 bolt's, 2 tabs. Look right on top over the turbo there sits the thermostat housing. There 3 bolts try tighten those. It takes about 3 to 5 min. For the whole operation.

For whatever reason (probably the assembly line) some 2.0's leak from the thermostat housing.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the insight, I'll take a look when i get a chance. Sometime today or tomorrow.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The expansion tank is splitting open. You need to fix that right away. Last week seen the same thing on a customers Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gd3mats

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update...
Dropped the Jeep off at local dealer last Thursday. Yesterday, they finally had a tech come up with the same diagnosis as we can visually see. Now, I have to wait 3 days for the part to arrive. I'm gonna have to follow up to ensure they do a proper pressure check as well to ensure nothing actually caused that failure asede from possibly just a defective part. Hopefully the dealer doesn't run out of the coolant needed to replenish.
On that note, we have to wait for a few more days. Just really glad I noticed it before any significant damage occurred.

OP
OP
gd3mats

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update,
The arrival of the replacement coolant reservoir has now been delayed till next Tuesday, Oct 25th.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
There’s a National back order on this part. I just received mine from rock auto and replaced it. Will monitor the level for a few weeks, but so far the level is holding.

OP
OP
gd3mats

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy to say our Willys was returned to us last Thursday and no smell of coolant...yet. Hopefully, no leaks appear.
Now to take it out and get it dirty before the rain.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I was just getting off the highway Monday on my way home from work. I smelled coolant while I was stopped at the light. I assumed it was an old car near me since mine is 11 months old. I got home and there was a trail of coolant on the parking garage floor (Im in a condo building). Tuesday morning I messaged a girl I knew in the service department and she told me they were three weeks out for appointments. I decided to stop by the dealer after work and on the way the overheating light came on and it lost all power. I was able to limp it into a parking lot. I got a towtruck through Roadside assistance, but it was two hours out and I was two miles from the dealer. I left the keys in the Jeep and walked to the dealer. The service guy handed me the keys to a loaner before my Wrangler even got there. They had several others there with the same problem. He casually told me that I'm either getting a new water pump, or a new engine and that I'll be in the loaner for a month or two.

Surprisingly, I'm not upset. The Cherokee they loaned me has more tech. I'm keeping the miles off mine. And we're entering salty road season.

Just wanted to point out to anybody reading this that the dealers know this is a thing, so at your next moment of convenience, it might be a good thing to take yours in and get it checked.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Did my own Wave service yesterday and noticed it happened to my 2 door as well. Coolant level is at the MIN line on the dipstick which is curiously at the same height as the reservoir’s seam.

My theory is coolant has been escaping as steam through the seam when it’s warm but haven’t noticed until it got cold. Have added coolant in the past.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L coolant reservoir leaking 6EA4A546-B7A1-4014-A6D9-AA2FD6E44BCD

OP
OP
gd3mats

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a suggestion...
Get that looked at. The purple residue is dried coolant. Possibly the two halves of that reservoir are separating.
I had mine replaced in Oct 2o22 did to cracking in the same area. I had to wait 2 weeks for part to arrive.

Screenshot_2023-01-15-12-14-49-43_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

JamieIvester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S 2.0
Added coolant to my 2018 JLU (110k miles) 2.0 reservoir (thought it was leaking at the lower radiator hose like most), but noticed a drip from the bottom of the reservoir tank as I was filling. The tank appears to be leaking from the bottom of the tank instead of the seam. Has anyone thought of added some reflective sound mat or something to the bottom of the tank? The tank looks like it rubs on the bracket it sits on from vibration. Heat is obviously as issue being right at the turbo. Seems Jeep didnt engineer this too well. Ordered a replacement tank. Is there a trick to unscrewing the hose at the bottom?

Erik3000

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 2.0L
Added coolant to my 2018 JLU (110k miles) 2.0 reservoir (thought it was leaking at the lower radiator hose like most), but noticed a drip from the bottom of the reservoir tank as I was filling. The tank appears to be leaking from the bottom of the tank instead of the seam. Has anyone thought of added some reflective sound mat or something to the bottom of the tank? The tank looks like it rubs on the bracket it sits on from vibration. Heat is obviously as issue being right at the turbo. Seems Jeep didnt engineer this too well. Ordered a replacement tank. Is there a trick to unscrewing the hose at the bottom?
Hi, I also have a 2018 JL with the same issue now. Were you able to get it installed? And what part number is it? Thanks!

JamieIvester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S 2.0
I ordered and they canceled my order saying it was not the correct part… so I’ve been through about a gallon of coolant in the past year is all, but it is finicky if it gets low. Still need to replace, but figured the longer I wait the better the chances they’ll make a good replacement tank.
Sponsored