Sponsored

2.0L coolant reservoir leaking

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Replaced my coolant reservoir last night. I had a smell of hot coolant. Opened the hood and noticed a drip from the small hose going into the top. I touched it to see if it was loose and it blew apart! Luckily it was in my driveway, we were out in the mountains yesterday, would’ve been stranded.
Found one online at Mopar estore, ordered it and noticed it was local, so a quick (haha)drive up to Temecula and picked it up. Pretty straight forward replacement but not without a few cusses to the engineers.
I hope you did the vacuum-bleed procedure on the cooling system.
Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Is it necessary after replacing the reservoir only? Didn’t drain any coolant in the system.
From the tech manual yes. It’s a vacuum sealed system regardless of where or what part is replaced or amount of coolant lost.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You don't need a vacuum bleeder. They are nice and work great on power steering systems too, but in the Jeep, it fills easily. Mine puked out most of the coolant in my driveway because of those loose bolts. I tightened them up and then filled it. Did the trick of squeezing the upper hose a bit and then put on the cap. Went to work and at the end of the day, checked the level and filled it up with a bit more. Thing is, where I work, I had a vacuum bleeder but that no help when my Jeep got rid of most of it's coolant in my driveway while I was ready to go to work.

Doolally41

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL
Same problem here. 2020 Willys 151,326 miles. Just received parts and about to go replace mine now.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Same problem here. 2020 Willys 151,326 miles. Just received parts and about to go replace mine now.
Anything significant you’ve had to do in the 150k with it? Trans etc? Making me hopeful mine will be fine till then now.

Sponsored

Doolally41

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL
Anything significant you’ve had to do in the 150k with it? Trans etc? Making me hopeful mine will be fine till then now.
Not really. I stay on regular maintenance (fluids and such), and so far only had to replace water pump, alternator, battery, serpentine belt, and today, coolant reservoir and bottom hose. However I have put 7,000 miles on it in less than a month. I have driven it in floods, downpours, white outs, 13" of snow on 1/2" ice in below freezing temps, to mile zero in the keys at over 100º and 17hrs straight at ~70mph. It has not given me any reason to doubt it. I was a first time jeep owner when I bought my Willys with 08 test drive miles that I put on it and I will say Ill own a jeep for the rest of my life.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Just saw this thread after I posted about finding an aftermarket resevoir in aluminum. Or whatever. Plastic with seams doesn't "seem" (lol) to be a good idea.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Just saw this thread after I posted about finding an aftermarket resevoir in aluminum. Or whatever. Plastic with seams doesn't "seem" (lol) to be a good idea.
The really stupid part is that when I had mine replaced via the TSB, they replaced the semi-transparent reservoir with the newer full-black one. So previously I could glance and check it, now I have to remove the lid and somehow awkwardly gaze into the reservoir (which is right up against the back of the hood). Basically have to use my phone camera to get a good look. So stupid.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
The really stupid part is that when I had mine replaced via the TSB, they replaced the semi-transparent reservoir with the newer full-black one. So previously I could glance and check it, now I have to remove the lid and somehow awkwardly gaze into the reservoir (which is right up against the back of the hood). Basically have to use my phone camera to get a good look. So stupid.
I feel that, I have a whole photo album saved for keeping track of it :CWL:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L coolant reservoir leaking IMG_3192

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue