Sponsored

2.0L 4-Cyl Twin Turbo

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ (Sold), 2013 JKUS (Sold), 2015 JKUR (Sold)
Made you click! Anyone tried this or is there a kit out there? Can the 2.0L handle it? Could you get 400 HP?
Sponsored

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
Made you click! Anyone tried this or is there a kit out there? Can the 2.0L handle it? Could you get 400 HP?
This has to be a shit post right? Twin scroll maybe...twin turbo on a four cylinder?!?

you could get much more out of it with a larger compressor but no one has even cracked the stock ecu! Nobody knows the actual limit of the stock turbo, which is a pretty good size on its own.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Eventually? I bet this motor will be capable of those power levels.

Today? I don't think anyone has built or dynoed a GME 2.0 with all the mods. Burger Tuning claims 285 WHP with just the JB4, which should be close to around 325 crank HP. Add in all the available mods, and we're probably at 350 crank HP?

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I bet you could squeeze 400 HP out of the stock turbo with an aggressive tune. As far as how long it would last is another story lol.

OP
OP
TripleB

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has to be a shit post right? Twin scroll maybe...twin turbo on a four cylinder?!?

you could get much more out of it with a larger compressor but no one has even cracked the stock ecu! Nobody knows the actual limit of the stock turbo, which is a pretty good size on its own.
I guess I should’ve said parallel twin turbo. Do you think twin scroll would be better? I know Mercedes has a nice 2.0L twin scroll turbo motor pushing 400+ horsepower so maybe so.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Just research what people have been doing with the SR20DET 2.0 liter turbo. This motor has been extremely popular for some time and is capable of some big numbers. 400? Easy (though not cheap). 500-600 hp variants aren't too uncommon, either.

OP
OP
TripleB

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just research what people have been doing with the SR20DET 2.0 liter turbo. This motor has been extremely popular for some time and is capable of some big numbers. 400? Easy (though not cheap). 500-600 hp variants aren't too uncommon, either.
500-600 HP would be awesome. I guess someone just needs to crack the stock ECU now....

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500-600 HP would be awesome. I guess someone just needs to crack the stock ECU now....
Those are all aftermarket ignition systems and ECUs.

It would cost you less do do an LS swap.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I think it was Eurocompulsion saying that around 390 crank hp the stock turbo, for the Alfa variant anyway, is done. That’s barring reliability concerns at the limits obviously. I’m thinking BTU management might be an issue on the Wrangler before reaching that mark possibly.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Agreed. Hondas also:

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The S2000 didn't originally come equipped with a turbo, but they are getting big numbers out of it when they're added!

And more recently, the latest iteration of the Civic Type R has been used in rallycross. This vehicle originally comes with a 2-liter turbo, and they're getting 600 horsepower out of it.

Sure, vehicle weights and loads are different between those and a JL.

Rallycross-Car.jpg

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys this is a direct injected 2.0t which shares more with the VW/Audi 2.0t then an sr20... that said current GTI’s are flashing stock ecu’s and getting 40-50ish Hp and 60-80tq... give or take based on mods

https://www.giacusa.com/supported_products.php?make=VW&model_id_1=204&engine=2.0 Turbo TSI - Gen 3

the Hurricane seems to be pretty stout...overbuilt

not inconceivable to see these kind of gains.

My only concern is for tuning with the etorque in mind.

Whoever cracks the ECU first will basically have permission to print money...Being that the JL is a baby in terms of Jeep generations!

It is pretty common at this point that 2.0 liters with upgraded rods and much larger turbos can tickle 1000hp territory.

So technically anything is possible EXCEPT up until the point of twin turboing a 4 cylinder...because their is only one exhaust manifold!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I think it was Eurocompulsion saying that around 390 crank hp the stock turbo, for the Alfa variant anyway, is done. That’s barring reliability concerns at the limits obviously. I’m thinking BTU management might be an issue on the Wrangler before reaching that mark possibly.
The challenge is the intercooler in the Alfa and the Jeep. It's a liquid to air setup behind the throttle body and pretty tiny - it's more like a liquid cooled throttle body ;)

Right now you get to a point where adding more boost brings much higher charge temps and the ECU pulls back ignition timing and goes rich to protect the engine. So you're not gaining much power.

Bigger turbo would help peak power but at the cost of overall response. Not what you want in a Jeep. So getting a better intercooler is the key.

I was urging Mishimoto to look into a intercooler as they've done one for the Powerstrokes that is also liquid to air and difficult packaging.

Or you could try to go with an air/air IC between turbo and TB but that probably would be challenging from a plumbing perspective.

Or, cheat! Methanol injection is old school and works to lower temps well but you need to keep the tank full. JB4 on the BMW's supports this.

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The challenge is the intercooler in the Alfa and the Jeep. It's a liquid to air setup behind the throttle body and pretty tiny - it's more like a liquid cooled throttle body ;)

Or you could try to go with an air/air IC between turbo and TB but that probably would be challenging from a plumbing perspective.
Why not both?! A hybridization with a “water cooled throttle body” and an air-to-air exchanger could work! Scaling the MAF might be kind of a variable!

Not impossible though...

Are there any dissected or exploded views of the hurricane?

That would help to understand what space the stock ic occupies

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Right now you get to a point where adding more boost brings much higher charge temps and the ECU pulls back ignition timing and goes rich to protect the engine. So you're not gaining much power.

Bigger turbo would help peak power but at the cost of overall response. Not what you want in a Jeep. So getting a better intercooler is the key.

I was urging Mishimoto to look into a intercooler as they've done one for the Powerstrokes that is also liquid to air and difficult packaging.

Or, cheat! Methanol injection is old school and works to lower temps well but you need to keep the tank full. JB4 on the BMW's supports this.
Par for the course with turbos. It’s a slippery slope. One day I may try a moderate tune and call it a day to maintain a safety margin of some sort.
Sponsored