Sponsored

2.0 without eTorque drivers: how is your experience with the Jeep's A/C?

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
After being driven around and driving my Jeep, I managed to convert my cousin. He has an appointment with his local dealer on Saturday in Northern NJ and I will be going with him. He joined us boys for a few trips to the Hamptons from NYC and loved the Doorless/Topless experience in a near 2 hour one way ride on the Long Island Expressway plus Sunrise Highway!

His previous vehicles have all been 4 cylinders and he prefers the smaller motors for some reason. To that end, he will be getting/ordering himself a 2021 four door Sport S with the Turbo 4 and only a hardtop. He drove my 2020 JLUR with the Pentastar and liked it. But his heart is set at the Turbo 4 for sure. I also encouraged him as I have not heard anything negative about the Turbo 4 in forums and the drivers are equally as happy as the drivers that got the Pentastar.

Just one question on his behalf: how is the A/C in the 2L motor without eTorque? Since the motor is much smaller at 2 liters versus my 3.6 Pentastar, is there a performance difference? I think anyone out there who has a Turbo 4 without the eTorque might be able to answer that. In the 2018 models, all Turbo 4s came with the eTorque. Hence the eTorque kicked in as support for the A/C when stopped at a Red Light for example. Wonder how it will be now that the eTorque is no longer available with the Turbo 4. I used to have a 2004 Nissan Sentra in college with a 1.8 Litre motor. The A/C would stop when I am at a Red Light and then start working again once I am moving. It would also get colder in the car once I was on the Highway at higher RPMs and Gears. His current car (a 2012 Civic) does the same exact thing and so does his wife's 2010 Corolla. My significant other had an Altima in college with a 2.5L motor. Her Altima did not do this as I clearly remember.
Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a 19 JLUR 2.0 and i have absolutely no problems with the AC, especially with the ESS turned off. Its got quite a bit if torque that surprises quite a few folks accelerating from a stoplight.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Does the AC compressor not stop when the engine is not running on the Etorque? Or any engine for that matter?

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
  • Banned
Does the AC compressor not stop when the engine is not running on the Etorque? Or any engine for that matter?
I think the eTorque allows for the compressor to run. At least that is my assumption.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
AC compressor stops when the engine stops with etorque. So only the fan will run.

Sponsored

Ed_Word

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.0 eTorque and I'm pretty sure my AC compressor turns off when I come to a stop and the engine turns off. I just turn off the ESS when I run the AC and that solves that. That being said, the AC blows just fine with the 2L eTorque.

I also previously drove a civic that would get colder as a started moving. It seems like my jeep does the same thing but nowhere nearly as bad as my civic. My wranglers AC works great when I first turn it on and it's idling but it seems like it does get little better when I start moving but it's barely noticeable it could also be just in my head because I was used to that with the civic.

So I don't think the eTorque allows for the compressor to run when the engine turns off at a stop but you can just turn off the ESS when you run the AC.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
When engine shuts off, the AC compressor is no longer turning so the AC doesnt work, you may have some cool air still blowing in since the evaporator is still cool.

Solve problem by shutting off the ESS, so engine is always running. also bet he will have a soft top and doors off, so a non-issue.

Welcome him to the dark side, I pity anyone stuck driving Civics and Corrollas, life is too short to be stuck in econoboxes.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The published torque figures are noticeably underrated on the 2.0 motor. Even at sea level here on long Island, the 2.0 doesn't have to dig as deep, to accelerate at the same rate as the 3.6 motor. I spent my free time over a couple months doing multiple test drives to compare the motors. I went to just about every Jeep dealer from the east end to western Nassau, and averaged 4 different jeeps per visit. Some for understandably annoyed after the first 2, others just handed me fobs and let me go off on my own. I must've driven about 50 jeeps, and not once did the 3.6 pull my eye away from the 2.0 motor.

Sj ruby

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon
I have the 2.0 and love it, and I have had no trouble with the ac. If you have the automatic climate controls the ess won’t kick in until cabin temperature is reached.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
H
I have the 2.0 and love it, and I have had no trouble with the ac. If you have the automatic climate controls the ess won’t kick in until cabin temperature is reached.
How is the AC when the Engine is sitting in traffic or a red light and is on idle (the ESS has not turned it off)? Does it act like an older 4 cylinder and shuts off the A/C or the A/C stays on without compromising anything?

Sponsored

keithd60

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
REALTOR®
I have a 2020 JLUR 2.0 and live in Phoenix, on 119f day it cooled my jeep to 70f, I have hothead headliners too.

Sj ruby

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon
I haven’t noticed the compressor turning off, but the ac has been perfect

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
We live in Houston and the AC works fine, hardtop, no headliners. You do notice the air warming up a bit when the ESS kicks in. Not enough to bother me, but enough to notice. Of course, if it bothers you can always just turn it off.

Most vehicles are still using belt driven compressors, so once the motor stops the compressor will.

Maybe the plug-in will have an electric compressor since it is meant to drive all electric.

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
I have a 2020 2.0 (no e-tourque) and when the engine running, the A/C is great, other than being loud. :) when I forget to turn ESS off, I’ve noticed that the air will still come out when stopped at a light, but it’s not cold air.

I wish the ESS would stay off even when the engine is turned off. The Parking assist will remain off when the engine is turned off and on.Too bad we have to push the ESS button each time it’s cranked. I’m afraid I’ll wear out the button!

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a 2020 2.0 (no e-tourque) and when the engine running, the A/C is great, other than being loud. :) when I forget to turn ESS off, I’ve noticed that the air will still come out when stopped at a light, but it’s not cold air.

I wish the ESS would stay off even when the engine is turned off. The Parking assist will remain off when the engine is turned off and on.Too bad we have to push the ESS button each time it’s cranked. I’m afraid I’ll wear out the button!
I am not too worried about the button. It is probably a cheap replacement. It is now second nature for me to push that button every time I get in the Jeep.
Sponsored