Sponsored

2.0 turbo vs Pentastar V6

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sponsored

Dirty

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu
CJ pony parts did a test with a 4 door V6 JL vs a 2 door JL turbo.
The V6 pulled a whole lot better than the turbo, despite its weight disadvantage.

With that being said, test drive both and make a decision.

Sure there might be some tuning available for the turbo, but you can kiss your warranty good bye.

Oh and E-torq might give you issues down the line.
So the engine with less torque and less hp pulled harder? BS.

OP
OP

brianbov

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Thanks for all the responses. Based on the responses, I will summarize:

Those that have the V6 love it, and hate on the 2.0T.
Those with the 2.0T are very happy with their decision as well.

IMO, both options are excellent choices and the decision is best made by driving both first.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Thanks for all the responses. Based on the responses, I will summarize:

Those that have the V6 love it, and hate on the 2.0T.
Those with the 2.0T are very happy with their decision as well.

IMO, both options are excellent choices and the decision is best made by driving both first.
Also think about how long you might keep the vehicle. People who often unload vehicles for newer models, can have significantly different concerns, when compared to people like me, who tend to hang onto a vehicle like grim death, lol. For example when some people poo poo rust concerns, I always know they are probably unloading before rust is a concern - for them. Or living in some desert!

Or for example, initial thing that popped into my head when learning of the engines having BSG with extra battery and ancillaries was - what is that stuff going to cost down the line in terms of aggravation and repairs when something goes wrong. What would that big battery cost when it stops holding an adequate charge. But some guy buying a new vehicle every 3 years probably has little of those concerns.

What does all that have to do with V6 vs turbo i4? If you will hang onto the JL for the next 15 years, consider if one engine will have an advantage in wear and tear. Will the i4 which needs turbo and might have more stress making power from a smaller displacement, have the same longevity as the naturally aspirated V6? I don't have a clear answer for that given JL is so new, but it's something to consider.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
So the engine with less torque and less hp pulled harder? BS.
It’s not quite that simple. It depends on what rpm the torque and hp maxes out at.

Example, on paper you have more wheel torque in 4low but you’re not going to want to pull your trailer in 4 low all day.

Sponsored

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
2.0L and I would do it again and again....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read somewhere the 2.0 was heavier than the 3.6 because of the turbo, etorque, and BSG equipment.
It is heavier. I'm not totally sure why, but I think I remember somewhere around 40 or 48 pounds.

Btw, OP, I see plenty of 3.6 owners that have nothing against the 2.0. I will list advantages for my needs with the 3.6, but that's not at all bashing the 2.0. I've said over and over that it is a great engine. It just doesn't match my priorities as well as the 3.6.

There's always bashers, though, which is funny because they usually bash things with which they have no first hand experience.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That’s what I thought: Heavier, more complex, more expensive to purchase and operate. Marginally better performance under certain conditions.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Here's a graph I made of the road force at the tires. While the 2.0 has more torque, the 3.6's higher redline delays the upshift to a higher speed. I suspect that this is why the 0-60 times are not much different. It's also important to note that at 75 mph in 8th gear the 2.0 has about 21% more road force (3.6 = 382 pounds, 2.0 = 462 pounds). To me this indicates that the 2.0 could handle larger tires easier than the 3.6.

Solid = 2.0 Rubicon
Dashed = 3.6 Rubicon​
Pounds of Road Force by Gear.png

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I just ordered the 4 cyl for daily driving. Not specific to Jeep, but find that most engine set ups like this is that the 4 has a better chance at achieving EPA more than the 6. Since most of my commute will keep me out of turbo and the torque will help with initial go. Each engine has their pros and cons and each works best based on individual use. YMMV lol

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
It’s not quite that simple. It depends on what rpm the torque and hp maxes out at.

Example, on paper you have more wheel torque in 4low but you’re not going to want to pull your trailer in 4 low all day.

^. Been Said: "There is no replacement for displacement". When towing.....Cubes are King.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That’s what I thought: Heavier, more complex, more expensive to purchase and operate. Marginally better performance under certain conditions.
FYI: for 2020 the 3.6 is $1000 more than the 2.0 on the Sport & Rubicon. If I am reading the specs correctly, the weight difference on a Rubicon 2.0 vs 3.6 (both without BSG) is within 2 pounds also.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0