2.0 turbo vs Pentastar V6

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
It will be much easier to add HP/Torque to the 2.0 than the 3.6. A simple tune on the 2.0 can yield good results. The 3.6 would need much more work to achieve the same performance. Then there is reliability, the 3.6 is a known work horse compared to the new 2.0. The main caveat to the 3.6 is the low output compared to other brands with the same displacement but I believe Jeep is keeping the power down on the 3.6 to make it more reliable.

I am a believer in modern bi-turbos and it should be easy to achieve 290HP and 325 ft/lb with tuning the 2.0; more if adding other goodies but I wouldn't push it too far. I am looking forward to what I read from those with 2.0s.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I headed out to buy one off the lot. Had pretty much decided I didn’t care which engine. My Rubi had virtually everything on it I wanted. It just happened to come with the 6. Maybe when gas hits $5 a gallon I’ll be crying

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
2.0 was a big bump in performance for me, both in CO and TX where I test drove JLURs back to back with both, on the same road, on the same day.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I headed out to buy one off the lot. Had pretty much decided I didn’t care which engine. My Rubi had virtually everything on it I wanted. It just happened to come with the 6. Maybe when gas hits $5 a gallon I’ll be crying
You would spend more in gas with the 2.0l Turbo. It's MPG rating is 10% better but 91 octane that is recommended for it cost 20%-25% more than 87 octane. On top of that it cost $1,000 more up front. You will have higher maintenance cost with the "mild" hybrid. Plus If you look at the resale value of hybrid vehicles that have been out for a few years it is considerably lower than the same non hybrid models. That is due to the added maintenance cost of the hybrid batteries, electric motor, and electronics as they age.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
You would spend more in gas with the 2.0l Turbo. It's MPG rating is 10% better but 91 octane that is recommended for it cost 20%-25% more than 87 octane. On top of that it cost $1,000 more up front. You will have higher maintenance cost with the "mild" hybrid. Plus If you look at the resale value of hybrid vehicles that have been out for a few years it is considerably lower than the same non hybrid models. That is due to the added maintenance cost of the hybrid batteries, electric motor, and electronics as they age.
Lots of threads here about people running the turbo on 87 octane. As far as the “mild hybrid” being more complex and having lower resale, I just don’t know. I thought I read somewhere the 48v battery was a $500 replacement. If I had to do that 4 or 5 years from now I don’t know if that would change my buying decision. There’s plenty of high tech gizmos still in there to break.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Lots of threads here about people running the turbo on 87 octane. As far as the “mild hybrid” being more complex and having lower resale, I just don’t know. I thought I read somewhere the 48v battery was a $500 replacement. If I had to do that 4 or 5 years from now I don’t know if that would change my buying decision. There’s plenty of high tech gizmos still in there to break.
I think the 48V battery is covered under warranty for 7 years as a Federal Emissions part.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the warranty document, it is covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles.
Thanks for the correction. My memory is not as sharp. Getting older sucks. Lol.

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
it's quite a bit more than $500....

IMG_0647.PNG
This doesnt include labor , and think about all the extra wiring cooling lines etc... no thanks....pstar is not a simple engine, duel overhead cams with vvt and vvl , port injection etc... it still seems less incident prone to me...’but then again its rare i keep a truck past 6- 8 years anyway...

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
How are you equating resale of a hybrid (I assume you mean a Prius or such) with a Jeep? A mild hybrid isn't even remotely the same. Apples and oranges. The whole Jeep is electronic now, the most common failure points are shared between the 3.6 and the 2.0. You're pushing a silly agenda at this point; wait for some actual data.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For the sake of completeness, the 2.0 also has a seperate cooling system for the 48V battery. Another thing to break I suppose. No matter, if they had the same Rubicon I bought on the lot with a 2.0 Turbo instead of Pentastar V6, I’d have still grabbed it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TXPearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUS 4xe
I have the 2.0. Drives better, and gets better gas mileage (just enough to offset the higher price of premium and then some).

But it does sound less refined than the 6cyl.

Performance-wise, not a huge difference between the two options, so just a matter of preference. But good luck finding a V6 on the lot to test drive.
Sponsored