Sponsored

2.0 turbo vs Pentastar V6

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Two more cylinders have as many extra parts as a turbo. Maybe even more.
This is why I stick to single cylinder naturally aspirated diesels. Less parts, less can go wrong.
Psh... should stick with rotary engines, even less moving parts.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I don't disagree with anything you said, I am merely stating that Scotty Kilmer is not and should not be used as proof for anything other than someone who shouts at the camera for YouTube ratings. Even the titles of his videos are so over the top they are offputting.
This is true. lol.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Two more cylinders have as many extra parts as a turbo. Maybe even more.
This is why I stick to single cylinder naturally aspirated diesels. Less parts, less can go wrong.
Yeah I thought about this too. But the train of thought of those who argue against turbocharged engines is that:
1) the weak link is at the turbocharger.
2) the turbocharger introduces more stress on the little 4 cylinder engine, which therefore makes it less reliable. More heat, more friction, more stress, etc... more energy being converted = more entropy. In theory, it is more problematic. That's just introductory thermodynamics.

Those are just the things I've read experts talk about, and I've also read around that the stress caused by the turbocharger in modern engines is negligible.

So when a turbocharged engine is executed properly, there should be no problems is what I've read around, and as anything in engineering, there is no free lunch. All the pros of a turbocharged engine means it is a bigger engineering challenge (like auto trans vs. manual trans).

The question is, did FCA execute the 2.0 turbo correctly?

We have seen manual transmissions in the JL causing the vehicle to catch fire, while the automatic transmission has been praised. So in reality, it all boils down to the engineers who design the machine. I've said this a million times. The V6 is known to be a good engine, not perfect, but good. it is a "safe" choice. The 4cyl turbo could be even more reliable if it was executed properly, we just don't know yet.

When I bought my Wrangler the turbo was fresh. I had no reasons to believe it was gonna be reliable, not even one. So I made an educated guess.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Scotty is a comedian.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
God help me. I was looking at a second Jeep for a daily driver as my second car (an 08 Altima) may die soon. Tried to look at this specific thread for guidance and am now confused than before. Trying to figure out if I should with the 2021 Pentastar plus eTorque ($3k adder) or go with the I4 without eTorque ($1.5k adder)? The Jeep must be an automatic as my fiancee cannot drive manual. We are looking for a 2 Door Sport S model. Already have a 2020 JLUR with the 3.6 and 8 speed automatic (no eTorque). Do not want to spend a lot of money on the second Jeep so just looking for one with only a Hardtop and an Automatic transmission. It will never go off road probably. But doors will be off regularly in the Summer.

Reliability is more important than performance or cost to me. So far we have been leaning towards the Turbo 4 because we already have a Pentastar in the house. I just don't know what to do ever since FCA slapped a 48 Volt BSG on the 2021 Pentastar. If they had not done that, our second Jeep may have also been a Pentastar as it is a true and tested motor. I want to give the Turbo 4 a shot because it does not have the BSG but am scared due to my past personal experiences with Turbo Petrol motors in India.

I am not interested in buying the bastard child that was created when the FJ Cruiser and the Wrangler had a one night stand. They named it Bronco.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
God help me. I was looking at a second Jeep for a daily driver as my second car (an 08 Altima) may die soon. Tried to look at this specific thread for guidance and am now confused than before. Trying to figure out if I should with the 2021 Pentastar plus eTorque ($3k adder) or go with the I4 without eTorque ($1.5k adder)? The Jeep must be an automatic as my fiancee cannot drive manual. We are looking for a 2 Door Sport S model. Already have a 2020 JLUR with the 3.6 and 8 speed automatic (no eTorque). Do not want to spend a lot of money on the second Jeep so just looking for one with only a Hardtop and an Automatic transmission. It will never go off road probably. But doors will be off regularly in the Summer.

Reliability is more important than performance or cost to me. So far we have been leaning towards the Turbo 4 because we already have a Pentastar in the house. I just don't know what to do ever since FCA slapped a 48 Volt BSG on the 2021 Pentastar. If they had not done that, our second Jeep may have also been a Pentastar as it is a true and tested motor. I want to give the Turbo 4 a shot because it does not have the BSG but am scared due to my past personal experiences with Turbo Petrol motors in India.

I am not interested in buying the bastard child that was created when the FJ Cruiser and the Wrangler had a one night stand. They named it Bronco.
Just pick the one you like and what fits your budget. There isn't enough evidence to prove one is more reliable than the other.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just pick the one you like and what fits your budget. There isn't enough evidence to prove one is more reliable than the other.
Exactly.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
If you need a daily driver, then the 4 cylinder is the way to go. I rented a 4 cylinder Sport for a week and I absolutely loved it! Of course I ordered a V/6 Rubicon with 4:10 gears to feed my ego at 16 MPG. The V/6 feels like a "Jeep" and the 4 cylinder Sport felt more like a sports car. I can make a case for either one....

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I think they did. Fiat puts the motor in a few vehicles now, and I’m expecting it to be as prevalent as the Pentastar in the near future. The turbo makes it easier to tune it up/down based on application too.

400hp out of a 4cylinder isn’t that extreme anymore.
400hp on a 4 cylinder motor is extreme. There isn’t one OEM 4cylinder motor that I can think of that has 400hp. I believe Mercedes is close on one of their motors at 370ish.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
400hp on a 4 cylinder motor is extreme. There isn’t one OEM 4cylinder motor that I can think of that has 400hp. I believe Mercedes is close on one of their motors at 370ish.
Mercedes is up to 416 HP now: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27813840/mercedes-amg-m139-four-cylinder-engine-specs/

While the aftermarket may be able to get the GME 2.0 up to 369 lb-ft of torque (which is what the Mercedes has), the GME's relatively low redline will keep the peak HP lower.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mercedes is up to 416 HP now: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27813840/mercedes-amg-m139-four-cylinder-engine-specs/

While the aftermarket may be able to get the GME 2.0 up to 369 lb-ft of torque (which is what the Mercedes has), the GME's relatively low redline will keep the peak HP lower.
Sort of off-topic......My nephew runs a Honda drag racing engine building company, 4Piston Racing. He's getting ready to put a much larger turbo on his Civic Type-R. It is a 2.0 that in stock form puts out 306 horsepower. Currently, he's getting about 500 at the wheels. (WOW!) With the new turbo and proper tune, he's expecting conservatively over 900hp at the wheels. He said it may get close to 1000 hp.

Of course, the block and some parts are OEM, but he's got his company's cylinder head on it and some other custom parts, in addition to the custom turbo.

I thought you guys would get a kick out of the numbers he's getting. If you have a Type-R, btw, he'll be happy to set it up for you. He's getting ready to do a custom Honda 4 seat side x side with some insane power, too. It is sitting in his shop waiting for him to get to it. He's also got a 150hp Honda outboard he's going to do that will put out 250hp at the prop when he's done with it.

He's having a lot of fun with these little engines, especially the 4 cylinder turbos. But like I said, it is a bit off topic because they are not production engines.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Sort of off-topic......My nephew runs a Honda drag racing engine building company, 4Piston Racing. He's getting ready to put a much larger turbo on his Civic Type-R. It is a 2.0 that in stock form puts out 306 horsepower. Currently, he's getting about 500 at the wheels. (WOW!) With the new turbo and proper tune, he's expecting conservatively over 900hp at the wheels. He said it may get close to 1000 hp.

Of course, the block and some parts are OEM, but he's got his company's cylinder head on it and some other custom parts, in addition to the custom turbo.

I thought you guys would get a kick out of the numbers he's getting. If you have a Type-R, btw, he'll be happy to set it up for you. He's getting ready to do a custom Honda 4 seat side x side with some insane power, too. It is sitting in his shop waiting for him to get to it. He's also got a 150hp Honda outboard he's going to do that will put out 250hp at the prop when he's done with it.

He's having a lot of fun with these little engines, especially the 4 cylinder turbos. But like I said, it is a bit off topic because they are not production engines.
I'm actually kind of familiar with 4Piston's offerings. My daily driver S2000 needs their 2.5L longblock.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually kind of familiar with 4Piston's offerings. My daily driver S2000 needs their 2.5L longblock.
Lol, that would be a beast! They are having a lot of fun with these Honda 4 bangers, for sure!
Sponsored