DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to do some research about the longevity of the turbo charger on the 2.0L, came across this article that I though was interesting.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/3-turbo-myths-modern-cars-debunked/

Currently I have 18,800+ miles on my 2.0L, I'll be putting approximately 25k/year on my JLU and am curious how it might stand up long-term. I did get a premium extended warranty on it for 5 years / 125,000 miles just in case.
I think the turbo is really off to a smashing start. I've not heard of any major issues. Certainly not with the engine/turbo itself. All I've heard from owners is them raving about it. I think Jeep did a nice job with it. Running good quality synthetic oil has dramatically improved the life of turbos. They designed robust cooling for the turbo and these oils can withstand very high heat, so that's a recipe for long term durability, too. Plus you have the peace of mind of that warranty.

And all the folks that joked about that little Fiat-based engine suddenly are not laughing.

I wonder who on the forum has the most miles on theirs, so far?
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the turbo is really off to a smashing start. I've not heard of any major issues. Certainly not with the engine/turbo itself. All I've heard from owners is them raving about it. I think Jeep did a nice job with it. Running good quality synthetic oil has dramatically improved the life of turbos. They designed robust cooling for the turbo and these oils can withstand very high heat, so that's a recipe for long term durability, too. Plus you have the peace of mind of that warranty.

And all the folks that joked about that little Fiat-based engine suddenly are not laughing.

I wonder who on the forum has the most miles on theirs, so far?
My wife & I both have the Turbo's and whether on the highway, or climbing up rocky mountain trail, they perform quite well. I missed an opportunity this weekend to take mine up a very steep forestry road to hunt for a stranded search & rescue team, I was really hoping to do it, but ended up hiking it instead since we couldn't get the gate unlocked in time.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Trying to do some research about the longevity of the turbo charger on the 2.0L, came across this article that I though was interesting.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/3-turbo-myths-modern-cars-debunked/

Currently I have 18,800+ miles on my 2.0L, I'll be putting approximately 25k/year on my JLU and am curious how it might stand up long-term. I did get a premium extended warranty on it for 5 years / 125,000 miles just in case.
As long as the engine was build properly. I got the V6 for peace of mind, I didn't like the turbo and I don't trust FCA. There has been some issues with the turbo related to electrical, haven't really looked much into it cause don't care.

Turbo engines cost more to maintain on average, and they're statistically less reliable. Of course those statistics are skewed, because turbo engines are newer and when they came out they were a mess. I think most modern turbos are now pretty reliable and seem to be becoming the new norm.

I recently purchased a new commuter/family sedan. When I was shopping I was in between Camry and Accord. I didn't even look at other cars, I only care about reliability and I could buy either one without feeling any financial discomfort, cheap , reliable and no debt. I was surprised when I saw all Hondas came standard with turbo engines. Honda cares about reliability too much to put an unreliable engine in a car. I still went with the Camry, because there is simply nothing cheaper to maintain and more reliable than an old V4 engine. And I think my mom was driven to the hospital in a corolla before I was born, that Toyota I've heard still runs. peace of mind.

I think the Jeep 2.0 Turbo engine is so far, a fine engine. I have to admit, I thought the thing coming from FCA was gonna fall apart, when I saw a similar variant of the engine in an Alpha Romeo I cringed, thinking FIAT designed them. But so far the engine seems to run strong. Early to tell though. The Jeep team would be dumb to put an unreliable engine in a Wrangler, they must have tested the hell out of it. The pentastar V6, the old 4.0, they all have been solid engines.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
As long as the engine was build properly. I got the V6 for peace of mind, I didn't like the turbo and I don't trust FCA.
I don't understand... you still bought a FCA product.

There has been some issues with the turbo related to electrical, haven't really looked much into it cause don't care.
The issues are eTorque related, which ironically you can't get with the 2.0 anymore.

V4 engine

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It was a shame that Sergio passed when he did. FCA has made major jumps this year in quality rankings and is headed nicely in the right direction. He is largely responsible for that, as well as the success of the JL. Running a company of that size, especially with some of the quality problems born from some flawed parts of their company culture, is not easy. It is like steering a supertanker up a river. You have to turn the wheel LONG before it responds. He turned the wheel a good while back, and now the ship is responding. This 2.0 was born from his time as CEO. The Pentastar was already a success and was simply improved. It would have been nice for him to see the fruits of his labor. And I mean labor. He was known to work VERY hard and VERY long hours and demanded his executive team do the same. But they also loved him very much and loved working for him. I think he was a unique and strong leader who was underappreciated. I appreciate him and his team every time I drive my Jeep.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I don't understand... you still bought a FCA product.
The V6 has been on the Wrangler before Fiat came to say hi. FCA has different teams for different vehicles. It is not like theres a bunch of people in Italy designing the Wrangler. The Jeep Wrangler JL did not get much synergy between Jeep/Fiat, it is very similar to the old JK. The renegade is an example of Jeep/Fiat synergy, not the Wrangler. The closest Fiat got to the Jeep was the Turbo engine, therefore I bought the V6. It was the best I could do, since only FCA make Jeeps. If Toyota brought the 70 series land cruiser to the U.S. I would consider jumping ships.

Also I don't get your "..." on the V4 engine. I was talking about the Camry 2.4L V4, it is NOT a turbo engine, and it has been built by Toyota for years, not by Fiat. There are plenty camries out there with over 200k miles, heck even 500k on that V4.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The V6 has been on the Wrangler before Fiat came to say hi. FCA has different teams for different vehicles. It is not like theres a bunch of people in Italy designing the Wrangler. The Jeep Wrangler JL did not get much synergy between Jeep/Fiat, it is very similar to the old JK. The renegade is an example of Jeep/Fiat synergy, not the Wrangler. The closest Fiat got to the Jeep was the Turbo engine, therefore I bought the V6. It was the best I could do, since only FCA make Jeeps. If Toyota brought the 70 series land cruiser to the U.S. I would consider jumping ships.

Also I don't get your "..." on the V4 engine. I was talking about the Camry 2.4L V4, it is NOT a turbo engine, and it has been built by Toyota for years, not by Fiat. There are several Camry out there with over 200k miles, heck even 500k on that V4.
The '...' was a nicer way of me saying that in my opinion you lost all credibility when it comes to discussing engines.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The '...' was a nicer way of me saying that in my opinion you lost all credibility when it comes to discussing engines.
Take it as you wish. But a simple 4 cylinder inline engine is a simpler machine than a modern V6 or a turbocharged engine. Less moving parts, lighter, cheaper. In a Camry it puts out 204 or so HP, and gives me 44MPG on the freeway. Being rational, getting that i4 on a commuter is a no-brainer.

If you have a different opinion that's cool. No reason to take it personal. Mr. expert in engines, enlighten us.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Take it as you wish. But a simple V4 inline engine is a simpler machine than a modern V6 or a turbocharged engine. Less moving parts, lighter, cheaper. In a Camry it puts out 204 or so HP, and gives me 44MPG on the freeway. Being rational, getting that V4 on a commuter is a no-brainer.

If you have a different opinion that's cool. No reason to take it personal. Mr. expert in engines, enlighten us.
I am in no way an expert, but the video you posted shows an inline 4, not a V4 engine. There's a major difference between the two, and you can't use the terms interchangeably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V4_engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline-four_engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-four_engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Square_Four
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slant-4_engine

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Take it as you wish. But a simple V4 inline engine is a simpler machine than a modern V6 or a turbocharged engine. Less moving parts, lighter, cheaper. In a Camry it puts out 204 or so HP, and gives me 44MPG on the freeway. Being rational, getting that V4 on a commuter is a no-brainer.

I hope you're not using Scotty to enforce your point. I refuse to watch any of his videos to prevent him from making even a small percentage of a cent off of my view.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I hope you're not using Scotty to enforce your point. I refuse to watch any of his videos to prevent him from making even a small percentage of a cent off of my view.
"An inline-4 has less probability of reliability issues as there is less frictional loss which can cause problems such as overheating and head gasket problems (see above). A V6 engine has poor primary and secondary balance, and requires extensive use of balance shafts and harmonic damping which sap ultimate engine power. "

take that statement as you wish. I don't think it is irrational to say that an inline 4 cylinder engine Is statistically more reliable than a V6. And that a V6 naturally aspirated engine that's been out for a while is statistically more reliable than a turbocharged engine, since there is no turbocharger.

That is all I am saying. Statistically speaking, all proven technology will be more reliable. I mean that's just reliability 101.

That doesn't mean the V6 on the Wrangler is more reliable than the 4 cyl Turbo. In fact the 4 cyl turbo could be more reliable. I went with the V6 to theoretically reduce my probabilities of early engine costs/issues.

What's irrational is to claim a modern engine is reliable because it has performed with no issues at 20k miles... heck even anything below 100k miles, if you have engine issues that is not a good car.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
"An inline-4 has less probability of reliability issues as there is less frictional loss which can cause problems such as overheating and head gasket problems (see above). A V6 engine has poor primary and secondary balance, and requires extensive use of balance shafts and harmonic damping which sap ultimate engine power. "

take that statement as you wish. I don't think it is irrational to say that an inline 4 cylinder engine Is statistically more reliable than a V6. And that a V6 naturally aspirated engine that's been out for a while is statistically more reliable than a turbocharged engine, since there is no turbocharger.

That is all I am saying. Statistically speaking, all proven technology will be more reliable. I mean that's just reliability 101.

That doesn't mean the V6 on the Wrangler is more reliable than the 4 cyl Turbo. In fact the 4 cyl turbo could be more reliable. I went with the V6 to theoretically reduce my probabilities of early engine costs/issues.
I don't disagree with anything you said, I am merely stating that Scotty Kilmer is not and should not be used as proof for anything other than someone who shouts at the camera for YouTube ratings. Even the titles of his videos are so over the top they are offputting.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I obviously meant an inline 4 cylinder engine. The naming error doesn't make my argument invalid though.
Again: 'In my opinion' it does. Funny thing is, I agree with you about Toyota engines and their reliability. One of the cars I would like to own some day (Lotus Elise) has a Toyota engine (although, it would have been better with a Honda K-series). Also just because it's a Toyota doesn't mean it's a Toyota engine: the new Supra = BMW, 86 = Subaru. Many of Toyota's engines are also partially designed by Yamaha. Yamaha designed the original SHO engine in the Ford, Ford built the first Jeep, Jeep had a Buick V6 for a few years that was based off the aluminum V8 design, Buick sold that V8 to Rover, Rover engines were used in the the early Lotus Elise, Lotus designed the chassis for the DeLorean, DeLorean used the PRV V6 (PRV = Peugeot, Renault, Volvo), Volvo recently announced a partnership with Koenigsegg, Koenigsegg's early engines were Fords... Does the company really matter if the design is good?

My biggest complaint with the GME 2.0 in the JL is that it didn't get the same MultiAir head as the Alfa Romeo version. This would have likely made additional low-end torque. Also, FCA should have sized the BSG based on vehicle weight & gearing rather than engine family.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FWIW; Balance shafts aren't uncommon in an inline 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

Also, the angle of the V influences the vibrations that the balance shaft would need to cancel. The later gen 1 GM 4.3 90 degree V6 is an interesting example of this.
Sponsored