2.0 turbo vs Pentastar V6

rockadile

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
"An inline-4 has less probability of reliability issues as there is less frictional loss which can cause problems such as overheating and head gasket problems (see above). A V6 engine has poor primary and secondary balance, and requires extensive use of balance shafts and harmonic damping which sap ultimate engine power. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline-four_engine

take that statement as you wish. I don't think it is irrational to say that an inline 4 cylinder engine Is statistically more reliable than a V6. And that a V6 naturally aspirated engine that's been out for a while is statistically more reliable than a turbocharged engine, since there is no turbocharger.

That is all I am saying. Statistically speaking, all proven technology will be more reliable. I mean that's just reliability 101.

That doesn't mean the V6 on the Wrangler is more reliable than the 4 cyl Turbo. In fact the 4 cyl turbo could be more reliable. I went with the V6 to theoretically reduce my probabilities of early engine costs/issues.
I don't disagree with anything you said, I am merely stating that Scotty Kilmer is not and should not be used as proof for anything other than someone who shouts at the camera for YouTube ratings. Even the titles of his videos are so over the top they are offputting.
Advertisement

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I obviously meant an inline 4 cylinder engine. The naming error doesn't make my argument invalid though.
Again: 'In my opinion' it does. Funny thing is, I agree with you about Toyota engines and their reliability. One of the cars I would like to own some day (Lotus Elise) has a Toyota engine (although, it would have been better with a Honda K-series). Also just because it's a Toyota doesn't mean it's a Toyota engine: the new Supra = BMW, 86 = Subaru. Many of Toyota's engines are also partially designed by Yamaha. Yamaha designed the original SHO engine in the Ford, Ford built the first Jeep, Jeep had a Buick V6 for a few years that was based off the aluminum V8 design, Buick sold that V8 to Rover, Rover engines were used in the the early Lotus Elise, Lotus designed the chassis for the DeLorean, DeLorean used the PRV V6 (PRV = Peugeot, Renault, Volvo), Volvo recently announced a partnership with Koenigsegg, Koenigsegg's early engines were Fords... Does the company really matter if the design is good?

My biggest complaint with the GME 2.0 in the JL is that it didn't get the same MultiAir head as the Alfa Romeo version. This would have likely made additional low-end torque. Also, FCA should have sized the BSG based on vehicle weight & gearing rather than engine family.

Last edited:

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Two more cylinders have as many extra parts as a turbo. Maybe even more.
This is why I stick to single cylinder naturally aspirated diesels. Less parts, less can go wrong.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
"An inline-4 has less probability of reliability issues as there is less frictional loss which can cause problems such as overheating and head gasket problems (see above). A V6 engine has poor primary and secondary balance, and requires extensive use of balance shafts and harmonic damping which sap ultimate engine power. "
FWIW; Balance shafts aren't uncommon in an inline 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

Also, the angle of the V influences the vibrations that the balance shaft would need to cancel. The later gen 1 GM 4.3 90 degree V6 is an interesting example of this.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is why I stick to single cylinder naturally aspirated diesels. Less parts, less can go wrong.
Psh... should stick with rotary engines, even less moving parts.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
I don't disagree with anything you said, I am merely stating that Scotty Kilmer is not and should not be used as proof for anything other than someone who shouts at the camera for YouTube ratings. Even the titles of his videos are so over the top they are offputting.
This is true. lol.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
Yeah I thought about this too. But the train of thought of those who argue against turbocharged engines is that:
1) the weak link is at the turbocharger.
2) the turbocharger introduces more stress on the little 4 cylinder engine, which therefore makes it less reliable. More heat, more friction, more stress, etc... more energy being converted = more entropy. In theory, it is more problematic. That's just introductory thermodynamics.

Those are just the things I've read experts talk about, and I've also read around that the stress caused by the turbocharger in modern engines is negligible.

So when a turbocharged engine is executed properly, there should be no problems is what I've read around, and as anything in engineering, there is no free lunch. All the pros of a turbocharged engine means it is a bigger engineering challenge (like auto trans vs. manual trans).

The question is, did FCA execute the 2.0 turbo correctly?

We have seen manual transmissions in the JL causing the vehicle to catch fire, while the automatic transmission has been praised. So in reality, it all boils down to the engineers who design the machine. I've said this a million times. The V6 is known to be a good engine, not perfect, but good. it is a "safe" choice. The 4cyl turbo could be even more reliable if it was executed properly, we just don't know yet.

When I bought my Wrangler the turbo was fresh. I had no reasons to believe it was gonna be reliable, not even one. So I made an educated guess.

Last edited:

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
The question is, did FCA execute the 2.0 turbo correctly?
I think they did. Fiat puts the motor in a few vehicles now, and I’m expecting it to be as prevalent as the Pentastar in the near future. The turbo makes it easier to tune it up/down based on application too.

400hp out of a 4cylinder isn’t that extreme anymore.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
Scotty is a comedian.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
God help me. I was looking at a second Jeep for a daily driver as my second car (an 08 Altima) may die soon. Tried to look at this specific thread for guidance and am now confused than before. Trying to figure out if I should with the 2021 Pentastar plus eTorque ($3k adder) or go with the I4 without eTorque ($1.5k adder)? The Jeep must be an automatic as my fiancee cannot drive manual. We are looking for a 2 Door Sport S model. Already have a 2020 JLUR with the 3.6 and 8 speed automatic (no eTorque). Do not want to spend a lot of money on the second Jeep so just looking for one with only a Hardtop and an Automatic transmission. It will never go off road probably. But doors will be off regularly in the Summer.

Reliability is more important than performance or cost to me. So far we have been leaning towards the Turbo 4 because we already have a Pentastar in the house. I just don't know what to do ever since FCA slapped a 48 Volt BSG on the 2021 Pentastar. If they had not done that, our second Jeep may have also been a Pentastar as it is a true and tested motor. I want to give the Turbo 4 a shot because it does not have the BSG but am scared due to my past personal experiences with Turbo Petrol motors in India.

I am not interested in buying the bastard child that was created when the FJ Cruiser and the Wrangler had a one night stand. They named it Bronco.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
God help me. I was looking at a second Jeep for a daily driver as my second car (an 08 Altima) may die soon. Tried to look at this specific thread for guidance and am now confused than before. Trying to figure out if I should with the 2021 Pentastar plus eTorque ($3k adder) or go with the I4 without eTorque ($1.5k adder)? The Jeep must be an automatic as my fiancee cannot drive manual. We are looking for a 2 Door Sport S model. Already have a 2020 JLUR with the 3.6 and 8 speed automatic (no eTorque). Do not want to spend a lot of money on the second Jeep so just looking for one with only a Hardtop and an Automatic transmission. It will never go off road probably. But doors will be off regularly in the Summer.

Reliability is more important than performance or cost to me. So far we have been leaning towards the Turbo 4 because we already have a Pentastar in the house. I just don't know what to do ever since FCA slapped a 48 Volt BSG on the 2021 Pentastar. If they had not done that, our second Jeep may have also been a Pentastar as it is a true and tested motor. I want to give the Turbo 4 a shot because it does not have the BSG but am scared due to my past personal experiences with Turbo Petrol motors in India.

I am not interested in buying the bastard child that was created when the FJ Cruiser and the Wrangler had a one night stand. They named it Bronco.
Just pick the one you like and what fits your budget. There isn't enough evidence to prove one is more reliable than the other.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
If you need a daily driver, then the 4 cylinder is the way to go. I rented a 4 cylinder Sport for a week and I absolutely loved it! Of course I ordered a V/6 Rubicon with 4:10 gears to feed my ego at 16 MPG. The V/6 feels like a "Jeep" and the 4 cylinder Sport felt more like a sports car. I can make a case for either one....

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement