Sponsored

2.0 Turbo owners what octane are you using?

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So this thread has a little life in it, so I will post what I told my daughter who owns a turbo wrangler. During the summer it is OK to run 87 without issues. But as the temps drop you want a higher octane to prevent the motor from detonating from forced induction. however; (Here is the RUB) If like us, you have ethanol FREE fuel locally, you can run 87 all year round. Now this all changes if, you go with heavier loads on your rig, (Bigger tires, bumpers, winch, gear, lead foot..ect.) then you need to run a higher octane fuel for longevity purposes. Like I said, this is how My daughter is doing it, at my advice. Her Jeep is bone stock and that is how she likes it.
Sponsored

nmonson

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Man, how are you guys getting such good gas mileage? My commute is mostly freeway and I'm usually between 18 and 19... doing about 70-75 mph.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty light footed, typically 5 miles over limit. Commute is about 12 miles highway each way no real traffic or stop and go very often around here. Last tank I filled up was 25 mpg based on mileage between fills and what it took to fill the tank.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty light footed, typically 5 miles over limit. Commute is about 12 miles highway each way no real traffic or stop and go very often around here. Last tank I filled up was 25 mpg based on mileage between fills and what it took to fill the tank.
Texas = Bad fuel economy due to speeds. My daughter is averaging 17MPG combined in her little 4cyl. I average 19MPG in my Ecodiesel. Now, if you drive in places were the max speed limit is 65MPH you will fair really well with fuel economy.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
So this thread has a little life in it, so I will post what I told my daughter who owns a turbo wrangler. During the summer it is OK to run 87 without issues. But as the temps drop you want a higher octane to prevent the motor from detonating from forced induction. however; (Here is the RUB) If like us, you have ethanol FREE fuel locally, you can run 87 all year round. Now this all changes if, you go with heavier loads on your rig, (Bigger tires, bumpers, winch, gear, lead foot..ect.) then you need to run a higher octane fuel for longevity purposes. Like I said, this is how My daughter is doing it, at my advice. Her Jeep is bone stock and that is how she likes it.
I've owned many turbo cars over the years and never experienced detonation when it got colder outside. Typically warmer temps are more of a problem.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
What??? No
Warmer air, warmer intake air temp, more detonation, higher octane needed. Opposite in winter.

And ethanol has nothing to do with it. 87 is 87.

BTW ethanol is cheap high octane.

Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What??? No
Warmer air, warmer intake air temp, more detonation, higher octane needed. Opposite in winter.

And ethanol has nothing to do with it. 87 is 87.

BTW ethanol is cheap high octane.
Ethanol is TERRIBLE as an additive! It is not Cheap high octane. who told you that? Yeah specially formulated ethanol for dragstrips is not the same as what they put in petrol for EPA standards! It is Hydrophobic, meaning it absorbs water. that in itself is terrible for cars! then add the fact that you are burning more fuel with less power. There is a reason at most public dragstrips the fueling stations near by will have 87, 93, and 103 NON Ethanol at the pump.

Please do better before correcting someone.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Ethanol is TERRIBLE as an additive! It is not Cheap high octane. who told you that? Yeah specially formulated ethanol for dragstrips is not the same as what they put in petrol for EPA standards! It is Hydrophobic, meaning it absorbs water. that in itself is terrible for cars! then add the fact that you are burning more fuel with less power. There is a reason at most public dragstrips the fueling stations near by will have 87, 93, and 103 NON Ethanol at the pump.

You are either trolling or confused. First, If something is hydrophobic, it means that does not like water so probably that was a typo and you mean hydrophilic. I regards of the higher octane during winter and lower during summer doesn’t makes sense. Even the manual says to use higher octane on warm weather or towing.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue

Well you can do some research or you can just keep spewing this nonsense.

I sure hope people reading this thread will do some research.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
The 2.0T is a high compression engine (works harder, produces more power per liter) so can benefit from higher octane to eek out a bit more power. But it is not necessary for warranty purposes (unlike other 2.0T's on the market that require it). The 3.6L has no benefit from higher octane and in fact will not be as efficient if you use it (less power and less mpg). So don't!

The owners manual backs this up:

2.0L ENGINE
This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance, when using high-quality unleaded regular gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 91 or higher octane premium gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing.

3.6L ENGINE
This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded regular gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane premium gasoline will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'll predict that 99% of the people just put in the cheapest they can find. Plus, it'll have Ethanol. Then they will do this until they sell it while probably having zero failures due to the octane rating. Where I'm at, rust is more of a concern and thus the powertrain outlives the chassis.

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo owners what octane are you using? 20210904_130452

2 door sport on 33's. I drive 50 miles a day on the freeway @ 75 - 80. Almost always use 87 octane and have never had an issue with detonation or feeling low on power. Have been through two Vegas summers with many weeks in the 110's and higher with no issues.
I love this motor!
It is a rocket off the line and has fantastic, usable torque when wheeling.

steps123

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Same question here lol! I am getting 17-18 mpg with 93 octane and 35” tires.
I live in Florida. Get 23mpg mostly highway and 0 hills. Florida is extremely flat. The biggest hill is the landfill. Lol!!

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Florida. Get 23mpg mostly highway and 0 hills. Florida is extremely flat. The biggest hill is the landfill. Lol!!
Interesting. I live in Michigan and it is also very flat around the Detroit area. Switched to 87 now that is getting colder and still get 17MPG no matter if I baby it or drive it spirited.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Interesting. I live in Michigan and it is also very flat around the Detroit area. Switched to 87 now that is getting colder and still get 17MPG no matter if I baby it or drive it spirited.
For me, I just never check because, it is what it is. Just like with my RV. I'd rather not know. Mostly because what I read on the intranets, everyone gets better mpg than I do. No matter what car I have had.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, I just never check because, it is what it is. Just like with my RV. I'd rather not know. Mostly because what I read on the intranets, everyone gets better mpg than I do. No matter what car I have had.
That’s true lol
Sponsored