2.0 turbo oil leak!! Housing/cooler??

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Firecracker Red Rubicon JLU, 23 White Sport JLU
I noticed a minimal drop of oil around the gasket on the dealer installed filter. Nothing on the floor, level stayed fine. Tightened it a little, still leaked. Out of concern, I dumped the oil, pulled the filter, and installed all new myself. Mating surface is fine. Just checked it after 100 miles, and I have the same dang drop around the new oil filter gasket.

Itā€™s not the filter, itā€™s coming from above (pics attached). Oil is seeping from around the star boltā€¦.. oil filter housing/cooler maybe? Third pic is after I degreased everything, and drove it for 20 minutes. Leak is definitely at the bolt.

Searched the forums couldnā€™t find anything similar, may have the term wrong. What am I dealing with here? 11,300 miles, is under warranty at least.

Thanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 turbo oil leak!! Housing/cooler?? 3D32F844-FDD5-4DA3-9D68-B824A41513B0

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 turbo oil leak!! Housing/cooler?? 449BCAED-BBAF-484D-A97C-79CF6DA17374

0D7ABED9-8718-4356-82ED-F50E38305A9D.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DHartlein

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: emailed the pics to our dealer, service writer was terrific, and put an experienced tech on the phone while he looked at them. Has never seen a leak at this bolt. Made a service appointment, very pleased with the response from Mall of Georgia Jeep.

jayjc08

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Door
Is it just me or is the flange around that bolt bent? Maybe it's just the oil?

The flange wouldn't prevent a leak per se, but maybe there is something wrong with the bolt itself?

OP
OP
DHartlein

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s the oil, looks flat with it wiped clean. Weird, right? Headed to dealer in a weekā€¦. Think youā€™re spot on!

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You have a Friday Jeep. So it makes sense. Mine was one too. Thus the coolant housing was loose. lower ball joints loose, that heat exchanger housing was loose, plus, they had an added Easter egg for me, left out part of the parking brake hardware along with leaving various hardware under the carpet. Seat trolly broke and now the passenger seat handle went south. I never have had that death wobble. I might want to contact Jeep and see what I need to do to get that activated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHartlein

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a Friday Jeep. So it makes sense. Mine was one too. Thus the coolant housing was loose. lower ball joints loose, that heat exchanger housing was loose, plus, they had an added Easter egg for me, left out part of the parking brake hardware along with leaving various hardware under the carpet. Seat trolly broke and now the passenger seat handle went south. I never have had that death wobble. I might want to contact Jeep and see what I need to do to get that activated.
Ha! Hoping not here, youā€™re ā€œgiftsā€ are enough for both of is! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
DHartlein

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update, dealer ordered a new oil coolerā€¦.. have looked at them online, makes sense itā€™s the gasket. Should be a week or so.

OP
OP
DHartlein

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hate to hear it. Mine leaked with the new cover, eventually the engine was replaced as the block was defective. Took nearly four months. At one point, Stellantis actually lost a replacement engine in transit .
Sponsored