Sponsored

2.0 turbo making very loud noise when you step on the accelerator

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Dealership said that the valve clamp on the hose going into the back of the turbo was off, they got it taken care of and I am back on the road
I can’t believe it took them weeks to figure that out.
Sponsored

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
...Superchargers still have a boost threshold.
A roots type blower gives instant boost and power regardless of rpm because it is a positive displacement compressor. I know, I’ve owned three. A centrifugal blower does require a minimum rpm to develop usable boost, at low rpm it produces little. I know, I've owned one. The turbocharger requires exhaust gas flow to build in order to produce boost, not directly rpm, this waiting for gas flow causes “turbo lag”. I’ve owned two of those.

It really depends on which of the three forced induction methods you are talking about, they all behave differently.

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
Dealership said that the valve clamp on the hose going into the back of the turbo was off, they got it taken care of and I am back on the road
I had exactly the same issue when I bought my JLU rubicon 2.0 last year. High pressure gas discharge sound under full throttle. Dealership said a clamp was missing from the turbo pluming. Looks like a common problem.

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I had exactly the same issue when I bought my JLU rubicon 2.0 last year. High pressure gas discharge sound under full throttle. Dealership said a clamp was missing from the turbo pluming. Looks like a common problem.
Do you know what clamp and where? I'd like to check this on mine?

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
jl_explorer==here's the answer.

A clamp was off or leaking between the turbo and intercooler.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Key is the loud noise that was described by the OP. I would have looked at the high pressure side of the turbo if it was mine.

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to these things, but I'm going to take a peak at all my hoses around the turbo to see if any of the clamps are missing.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
2.0T here.
I've recently switched my Turbosmart PB BOV valve back to stock valve due to it giving trouble codes. (Been code-free since the switch)

I have had a high-pitch whining noise as I accelerate or maintain rpm, kind of like a muffled police siren from a distance.

I suspect there is a turbo leak somewhere. Any guesses?

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The clamp on the back of the turbo was loose, tightened it, noise gone!!!!
Excellent. Well done. Turbos are extremely hot. Have to do that when it's stone cold.

edit: Jeep robot must not have eaten it's Wheaties that day when it was assembling your engine.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
2.0T here.
I've recently switched my Turbosmart PB BOV valve back to stock valve due to it giving trouble codes. (Been code-free since the switch)

I have had a high-pitch whining noise as I accelerate or maintain rpm, kind of like a muffled police siren from a distance.

I suspect there is a turbo leak somewhere. Any guesses?
Confession.

I had an 85 Jetta turbo diesel. 63 hp with the turbo on full boost. No boost...49 hp max.
Passing the main fire hall in spring. I heard a siren. I stopped expecting a fire truck.
did that twice.
I had my driver's window open first time in the spring.
It was the little turbo whining its heart out.

Key--driver's window was open. First time in the spring. ;-)
Sponsored