2.0 Turbo BSG discontinued in Rubicon

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
This thread is too long for me to read but for me I wish I had waited for the turbo 4.
Sponsored

JL-Jeepster

First Name
Yohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL , 2006 F250 Diesel
Thatā€™s a stupid move ! I love the pickup from stop with the BSG on my rubi and why I bought it ... turns the 37ā€ STT pro like itā€™s nobody's business

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
A few others that posted in the thread you quoted didn't have any problems with the BSG system while in 4 LO for an extended period of time. I wonder if the OPs problem was just a faulty battery??
Yeah, several have said it is supposed to cut off in 4 low. If working properly, that feature should prevent any issue, unless someone did a good bit of stop and go crawling in high range. Just guessing, though. Clearly there is some reason they won't be offering it on the Rubi. Certainly that could be a marketing reason, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

johnbrochill

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
OK, so I found the figures..the literature/leaflets that Jay posted in another thread give the numbers for the 2.0T eTorque as... 270 bhp and 295 lb ft of torque.

The 2.0T GME/ESS figures arenā€™t given in the same leaflets as far as I can see. So I referred back to the UK sales brochure. The numbers are....272 bhp and 295 lb ft. I think we can say they are the same.

If my memory serves me right the eTorque adds 70 lb ft of torque but when the petrol engine reaches 1500 rpm the eTorque drops out.
Hey man, it seems like you are pretty knowledgeable about this, so I figured I'd ask:

Was planning to order the '19 Rubicon 2.0T w/ eTorque. Now I'm told I can only order a '20, so it won't have it. But am kind of nervous & also curious how it might impact daily city/highway driving, or if it wouldn't be that noticeable without?

Ideally I would wait to drive the '20, but there is a deadline coming up quick with existing lease trade-in, so might not get the chance & Maybe I am just getting thrown off by the 70 ft/lb of torque figure stated above.....

Could be a dumb question - but in the event that it is really noticeable, is this something that can be added after the fact, or is there another option like adjusting the shift points that could help?

Thanks!

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

Hey man, it seems like you are pretty knowledgeable about this, so I figured I'd ask:

Was planning to order the '19 Rubicon 2.0T w/ eTorque. Now I'm told I can only order a '20, so it won't have it. But am kind of nervous & also curious how it might impact daily city/highway driving, or if it wouldn't be that noticeable without?

Ideally I would wait to drive the '20, but there is a deadline coming up quick with existing lease trade-in, so might not get the chance & Maybe I am just getting thrown off by the 70 ft/lb of torque figure stated above.....

Could be a dumb question - but in the event that it is really noticeable, is this something that can be added after the fact, or is there another option like adjusting the shift points that could help?

Thanks!
As far as I know, nobody has attempted to add BSG/eTorque. It's probably possible, but I doubt it is something that will ever be attempted due to the changes needed (wiring harness, 48V battery & coolant system, motor-generator unit, removal of alternator, etc.)

Also I don't think there is any way to modify the transmission tunes at this time. If you could modify the transmission to compensate for the loss of BSG, I would use a higher stall speed torque converter. Transmission shift points should be left alone.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
It is an interesting topic but I have to say older I get I find so much more beauty in simplicity and I tend to go back to what has been proven to work over the years. I always walk around with at least 40 - 60 bucks in my pocket , I enjoy keys over cards or crank windows and so the choice of picking the pentastar motor was so much easier for me.

oklarado jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Yup, heard this the other day from a friend who just ordered a 2020. Seems someone came to their senses with respect to turbos, and complicated electronics, and additional batteries, and associated weight. Made the right choice almost a year ago with my regular 3.6, and never wanted anything else.
Just bought my 2019 Rubicon with the 3.6 and sky touch roof. Been lying in wait for the granite crystal metallic color and bought it the first day it arrived on the lot. Used the USAA car buying service and got about 15% off MSRP. Knew I picked the right engine as the head sales manager kept trying to talk me into the Rubicons with the 2.0 engines with etorque in a different color (red, black or white). Lots of those engines still on his lot. He gave up after I told him I knew about etorque being discontinued in 2020 for the Rubicons. Very happy with the tried and true 3.6 - Iā€™m in the breaking in period.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
My .02 cents. Just bought my first Jeep and I did a lot of research. Watched a lot of YouTube videos. Read a lot of threads. I was pretty positive I wanted the 2.0, I have owned tons of turbo 4 cylinders and the torque numbers donā€™t lie on the dyno. The 4 cylinder is impressive. Car and Driver tested both motors on the JL, and performance numbers are very, very, close. While the 2.0 had some advantages, the 3.6 had others. Which is expected with naturally aspirated vs forced induction.

So the dealer I worked with had both the 2.0 and 3.6 in the exact same color and options on the Jeep I wanted. It literally came down to the price difference between the 4 vs 6, everything else was the same.

I went in expecting to be wowed by the 4 cylinder and what I found after driving both back to back was that the cars felt very close in terms of overall acceleration. The 2.0 felt a little peppier sometimes but other times the V6 seem to have more pull. I think it depends where you are in the powerband. A few times at speed the 4 cylinder had just a slight bit of hesitation before I hit boost where the V6 felt more responsive.

I walked away from the test drive very much on the fence. I thought it was possible that the dealer put 87 in the 2.0 and the salesman told me he did not know. So itā€™s possible. But in the end I started adding up the pros and cons and the salesman (who owns and knows Wranglers inside and out) when asked which one he thinks I should get, told me the V6 was less complex and more tried and true. He would get that if given the choice. Which kinda surprised me since the 2.0 cost more.

So in the end I bought the V6. I am sure I would have been happy with the 2.0. One thing for me. Where I live there is around a 70 cent price difference between premium and regular per gallon. I know because my other car is a 2018 Miata (tuned) and takes premium (but it gets 31mpg). Any gas savings due to MPG efficiency would be wiped out.

One other thing. Iā€™ve noticed some people get obsessed about performance with these vehicles (which is kinda silly) but then proceed to put 35-45lbs wheels and big tires that weigh another 20+ lbs over stock with big lift kits. Ummm.. You just killed your performance and MPGā€™s and braking so itā€™s silly debating one engine over another..

Just funny as I owned and have owned lots of sports cars where the goal with was to reduce unsprung weight, not double it!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I have no idea why they dropped the eTorque from the Rubi but I'm very happy with my 2.0. It absolutely feels faster than the v6 that I drove back to back. MPG was never the goal for me, but I'm getting 23 highway, 20 in the city. We'll see where that drops to when I throw on 37" KO2's. Buddy's 3.6 is significantly less fuel economy (19 highway, 16 city) but I'm sure I'll probably see a bigger drop than he will from larger tires given I'll likely be in boost more frequently.

That said, I'll probably switch to the 3.6 with eTorque once my lease is up, unless PHEV is available in which case I'll get that. Also, I have > 200 miles in 4 low at this point and never had an issue, and probably 500 miles off highway out of the 6000 I have on it. Never planned to keep this one long term though, just leased to hold me until refresh is available and more color options.
Sponsored