OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Would it be to much to ask from fourm moderators to show some consistency and ban the 2.0 forum trolls from coming to the 3.6 forum and offering nothing productive? That was the excuse given to me when I was banned from the 2.0 forums for not offering anything productive.
But that’s not going to happen because the protected class is the 2.0 and the diesel you can’t say anything negative about them, but you’re allowed to say everything negative about the 3.6.
I guess we should think of the 3.6 as white people. It’s totally OK to hate on them but nobody else as that would be wrong.
Can't handle your own BS can ya? You started a shit thread, you're going to get shit comments. Deal with it buddy.

Anyhow, 2.0L spins 37's with ease. Can't say the same about that anemic mini-van engine. But it is reliable. My moms 2011 Town & Country is still going. Almost 200K on it!!

Also, did we ever get a confirmation in this thread that this is the case, and not nonsense? I'd like something published showing it's not being added to the Rubicon anymore...
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Would it be to much to ask from fourm moderators to show some consistency and ban the 2.0 forum trolls from coming to the 3.6 forum and offering nothing productive? That was the excuse given to me when I was banned from the 2.0 forums for not offering anything productive.
But that’s not going to happen because the protected class is the 2.0 and the diesel you can’t say anything negative about them, but you’re allowed to say everything negative about the 3.6.
I guess we should think of the 3.6 as white people. It’s totally OK to hate on them but nobody else as that would be wrong.
I have my jlwranglerforum link set default to most recently discussed topics so I will see every recent category regardless of what I drive. But seriously who cares just because I drive a 2.0 doesn’t mean I can’t offer knowledge and expertise in other areas. But funny thing that it seems like the 3.6 is experiencing more problems than the 2.0

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I don't care who has a 4 or a 6, I'm happy w/ my 6 and am happy for those that are happy w/ their 4s :)

Calling the 6 a minvan motor isn't helping to create forum harmony however, lol.
It IS quite capable in the Wrangler, and is found in almost all FCA vehicle iterations (including Minivans) :)

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Maybe they work at a factory that produces 3.6L engines lol.

The 2.0T is still an option on the Sport and Rubicon, just without the eTorque system. :) I'm curious how the gas mileage compares! If it still gets good gas mileage I wonder what the point is.
Wondering too ! Q ? Is/ will this 2.0L Turbo (only) be the SAME as the one in the Cherokee Trailhawk (KL) ? Most likely Tuned to meet the Wranglers needs ?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have my jlwranglerforum link set default to most recently discussed topics so I will see every recent category regardless of what I drive. But seriously who cares just because I drive a 2.0 doesn’t mean I can’t offer knowledge and expertise in other areas. But funny thing that it seems like the 3.6 is experiencing more problems than the 2.0
Really? There was a recall on 2.0s for having the wrong oil installed at the factory, causing LSPI severe knocking/pinging. Honestly, I don't see any indication that either engine has had any significant issues. That recall involved simply draining the oil and installing the correct SN+ rated oil.

Unless there is some big obvious, consistent pattern of a problem, there's no way to tell from an internet forum. Early on, there were far more 3.6's in the JL's than 2.0's, so the 3.6's have more miles on them and issues reported on the forum would be more common, assuming all else is equal. Still, I've not seen anything remotely looking like a common problem with either engine (I don't count the wrong oil as a problem with the engine, really.) There are literally more than 10 million Pentastars on the road and they've got a reputation within the industry of being a very reliable engine with lower than industry average warranty claims.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Can you please point out in this thread where someone said "everything negative about the 3.6"? Because I just went back and re-read the whole thread, and couldn't find anything. It is possible that our interpretations are different, which is why I would like to know exactly where the 3.6 bashing occurred.

As far as providing nothing useful: please see my post above about BSG in both the 3.6 & 2.0. I do have other useful comments to make, but keep getting sidetracked with posts like this one.

And as for the banning of 2.0 owners: which one of the prohibited behaviors was violated, and by whom? It looks like you might be close to #2.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/help/terms
Without limiting the foregoing, the following behaviors are strictly prohibited:
  • Strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,
  • Racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language,
  • Harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members,
  • Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortious language,
  • Online vandalism,
  • Impersonation of another person,
  • Posting, distributing, transmitting or promoting illegal content,
  • Invasion of another's privacy,
  • Actions that are hurtful to minors,
  • Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any materials or information infringing on the rights of a third party,
  • Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any junk mail or spam, and
  • Posting, uploading, emailing or otherwise transmitting any material that contains any malicious computer code, or reverse engineering or hacking any materials on the Site.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Really? There was a recall on 2.0s for having the wrong oil installed at the factory, causing LSPI severe knocking/pinging. Honestly, I don't see any indication that either engine has had any significant issues. That recall involved simply draining the oil and installing the correct SN+ rated oil.

Unless there is some big obvious, consistent pattern of a problem, there's no way to tell from an internet forum. Early on, there were far more 3.6's in the JL's than 2.0's, so the 3.6's have more miles on them and issues reported on the forum would be more common, assuming all else is equal. Still, I've not seen anything remotely looking like a common problem with either engine (I don't count the wrong oil as a problem with the engine, really.) There are literally more than 10 million Pentastars on the road and they've got a reputation within the industry of being a very reliable engine with lower than industry average warranty claims.
Sample sizes are vastly different with the two engines. I am certain that it skews perception to look like the 3.6 has more issues than it really does.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.6 simply has a lot of "known issues"; with it's age. That's a given. And known fixes. This claim about it being the worlds most reliable engine is utter nonsense. More like, most likely to bellow smoke on the trail.

The ones who get hung up on "what's best" usually are the ones who don't wheel. They run their mouths and not their rigs. Those of us who hit the trails, learn to respect a variety of rigs. And a touch of humility. The OP could use some.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
There is definitely one upside, the 2.0 turbo guys big bragging point was they didn’t have a motorcycle battery , they would say I’m not buying that 3.6 it has a motorcycle battery. well guess what for 2020 the 2.0 turbo gets the motorcycle battery. Ha ha
I haven't seen anyone bragging that, and it would be a terrible argument. All the 2.0's (so far) have the more expensive/complicated 48v battery under the body, which is arguably worse than the ESS battery. The best combination would be BSG without the liquid cooled 48V battery, but it's just not possible right now.

That being said I have been considering relocating my winch solenoid to the ESS battery's location (it should be an empty void with my BSG equipped 2.0).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thanks, @AnnDee4444 for the info! I still think that 2.0 would be ok without it. The thing that impressed me the most about it was after it spooled and gave a nice midrange punch. That wouldn't change.

Even though I'm 100% happy with my 3.6/manual, I love seeing new tech introduced successfully.

I'm still curious as to why the change, though. I really doubt it is due to a particular problem with the 2.0 but more likely the driving scenarios to which it is better suited.
+1 for the manual transmission. I know it is dying out, but I still prefer it. The ZF 8-speed is a pretty good automatic though, and could be even better with more aggressive tuning. I have driven other vehicles with this transmission, and hope that some day the JL can be tuned similar.

I bet the BSG change has more to do with CAFE than anything. That and production costs. Since the BSG will only be available on the Sahara, and there is no Sahara 2-door (yet), there will no longer be a 2-door with BSG. This simplifies the number of possible combinations for production. Also I suspect that the BSG is not as effective on the Rubicon (due to the gearing/tires), and too costly for the Sport.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.6 simply has a lot of "known issues"; with it's age. That's a given. And known fixes. This claim about it being the worlds most reliable engine is utter nonsense. More like, most likely to bellow smoke on the trail.

The ones who get hung up on "what's best" usually are the ones who don't wheel. They run their mouths and not their rigs. Those of us who hit the trails, learn to respect a variety of rigs. And a touch of humility. The OP could use some.
You don't read very well. Who said it was the world's most reliable engine? I said its warranty claim rate is below industry average and is known in the automotive industry as a reliable engine. Your claim that someone said it is the world's most reliable engine is clearly the only utter nonsense I'm seeing.

I agree with you about respect for a variety of rigs, but your initial comments in the same post contradict that statement.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for the manual transmission. I know it is dying out, but I still prefer it. The ZF 8-speed is a pretty good automatic though, and could be even better with more aggressive tuning. I have driven other vehicles with this transmission, and hope that some day the JL can be tuned similar.

I bet the BSG change has more to do with CAFE than anything. That and production costs. Since the BSG will only be available on the Sahara, and there is no Sahara 2-door (yet), there will no longer be a 2-door with BSG. This simplifies the number of possible combinations for production. Also I suspect that the BSG is not as effective on the Rubicon (due to the gearing/tires), and too costly for the Sport.
I think you might be right. The complexity and cost from a manufacturing point of view has to be significant. Maybe they found that the 2.0's city mileage isn't that different without it, so Cafe wouldn't be a huge issue? The only question then would be why they would continue it with the Sahara. Maybe the smooth starts, with Sahara being the more upscale trim level?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think you might be right. The complexity and cost from a manufacturing point of view has to be significant. Maybe they found that the 2.0's city mileage isn't that different without it, so Cafe wouldn't be a huge issue? The only question then would be why they would continue it with the Sahara. Maybe the smooth starts, with Sahara being the more upscale trim level?
I think we’re not getting a full picture of how many Saharas are on the road vs Rubicons/Sports who are not participating these forums, FCA could possibly be selling way more Saharas than what we were led to believe. My experience driving around the city would seem to agree with that as well. Very possibly their leading money maker in the Wrangler lineup and this would just add a bit of “perks” to that segment and differentiate the trims a little more. - on top of the other reasons already been discussed here.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Also, wonder how many n00bs contribute to increasing in complaints about things. Especially when they're not enthusiasts per se. As enthusiasts tend to not bitch or get upset about their Bluetooth not working.

So, I've been a Power Wagon owner since 2015 and pretty active over in that community. When they refreshed the design in 2017, Ram actually sold more than any previous year, and suddenly we had all these new people flooding the community forums with issues galore that like almost none of us had heard of before.

That battery thread, I swear reads like a thread I've read before over in the Power Wagon community. It's such a head-scratcher.
Sponsored