Sponsored

2.0 Turbo BSG discontinued in Rubicon

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Doesn’t it seem a little odd that when the 2.0 turbo came out that’s all you could get on the dealer lots, Dealers could not order the v6 only the 2.0. I remember threads where people were saying all Rubicon’s only had the 2.0 . I had to special order my 3.6. If feels like jeep knew there was something going on but they committed to making so many of those motors and they forced them on people to get rid of them. It happened before with Renault. I would not want to own a discontinued Fiat turbo motor 10 years from now. Good luck with parts and resale.
The 2.0 T is not at risk of being a " discontinued Fiat turbo motor", the early production motors were built at the Fiat plant, until the Trenton USA plant came on line. They are not Alfa motors, but widely used GME , here to stay, peppy and fun. Return to a 4 cylinder , one that GOES, is great.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
why would a 2.0 owner come to a 3.6 thread?
For the same reason I browse any other subforum: information about my Jeep. I have found that many 3.6 owners have no idea what is 3.6 specific, and what is unique to the 2.0. There is a wealth of non-motor specific information that is buried in the 3.6 section, which will become even more true now that the 2.0 will have non-BSG ESS and the 3.6 will be available with BSG.

It seems to me the 2.0 fan boys got a little upset because now they have a unicorn parts replacement nightmare and they’re trying to justify their purchase by coming yelling and screaming in the 3.6 forum. like you said they have nothing to do with each other.
Yelling & screaming? I wrote 11 words, a period and a question mark, none of which could be remotely considered "yelling & screaming". Also since the 3.6 gained BSG as an option, our parts are actually less "unicorn" now.

I notice that you dodged my question from the first post so I will repeat it, this time without directly quoting your words: How does the 2.0 losing BSG equal a win for the 3.6? It doesn't even affect the 3.6 in any way at all. The 3.6 remains the same. FCA could have added a hellcat supercharger to the 2.0, and it still wouldn't have any effect on the 3.6.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For the same reason I browse any other subforum: information about my Jeep. I have found that many 3.6 owners have no idea what is 3.6 specific, and what is unique to the 2.0. There is a wealth of non-motor specific information that is buried in the 3.6 section, which will become even more true now that the 2.0 will have non-BSG ESS and the 3.6 will be available with BSG.

Yelling & screaming? I wrote 11 words, a period and a question mark, none of which could be remotely considered "yelling & screaming". Also since the 3.6 gained BSG as an option, our parts are actually less "unicorn" now.

I notice that you dodged my question from the first post so I will repeat it, this time without directly quoting your words: How does the 2.0 losing BSG equal a win for the 3.6? It doesn't even affect the 3.6 in any way at all. The 3.6 remains the same. FCA could have added a hellcat supercharger to the 2.0, and it still wouldn't have any effect on the 3.6.
I never really perceived the engines as being in competition, except in the mind of the purchaser, but once the purchase is made, unless someone needs justification, then there's no competition. I can say that I'm happy with the 3.6 but I also am certain I'd have been thrilled with the 2.0, especially after driving a Sport with one.

I think most of us around here are Jeep enthusiasts, whatever is under the hood. Aside from occasional good natured needling, I wouldn't get too bent over someone making an outrageous statement. Sometimes they are just joking and if they are not, then you can't help them with that issue, so I don't let them make it mine.

Back to topic...Does anyone know how much torque the BSG adds to the 2.0? I'd guess it is less than the 90 foot pounds reported by Jeep's powertrain engineers for the 3.6. I can't remember what they said it would be for the Hemi in the Ram, but it certainly was more than in the 3.6. Maybe 120 foot pounds for the Hemi? Anyway, I'd bet it is around 40 or 50. Anyone have the numbers? I'm also guessing that by 1800 to 2000rpms, it isn't adding anything anymore. I'd be curious as to how long or to what rpm it contributes. It may only be for a second or so. Other than right off idle, I doubt the 2.0 will feel any different. I'm just guessing, though.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It may only be for a second or so. Other than right off idle, I doubt the 2.0 will feel any different. I'm just guessing, though.
From what I've read elsewhere, the electric motor gets you moving when you let off the brake and hit the gas from a stop light. As you start moving the gas engine kicks in and revs to the right RPM it should be at for taking off. In other words it's just made for a seamless engine stop-start.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I

Back to topic...Does anyone know how much torque the BSG adds to the 2.0? I'd guess it is less than the 90 foot pounds reported by Jeep's powertrain engineers for the 3.6. I can't remember what they said it would be for the Hemi in the Ram, but it certainly was more than in the 3.6. Maybe 120 foot pounds for the Hemi? Anyway, I'd bet it is around 40 or 50. Anyone have the numbers? I'm also guessing that by 1800 to 2000rpms, it isn't adding anything anymore. I'd be curious as to how long or to what rpm it contributes. It may only be for a second or so. Other than right off idle, I doubt the 2.0 will feel any different. I'm just guessing, though.
OK, so I found the figures..the literature/leaflets that Jay posted in another thread give the numbers for the 2.0T eTorque as... 270 bhp and 295 lb ft of torque.

The 2.0T GME/ESS figures aren’t given in the same leaflets as far as I can see. So I referred back to the UK sales brochure. The numbers are....272 bhp and 295 lb ft. I think we can say they are the same.

If my memory serves me right the eTorque adds 70 lb ft of torque but when the petrol engine reaches 1500 rpm the eTorque drops out.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I never really perceived the engines as being in competition, except in the mind of the purchaser, but once the purchase is made, unless someone needs justification, then there's no competition. I can say that I'm happy with the 3.6 but I also am certain I'd have been thrilled with the 2.0, especially after driving a Sport with one.
Agreed.

Back to topic...Does anyone know how much torque the BSG adds to the 2.0? I'd guess it is less than the 90 foot pounds reported by Jeep's powertrain engineers for the 3.6. I can't remember what they said it would be for the Hemi in the Ram, but it certainly was more than in the 3.6. Maybe 120 foot pounds for the Hemi? Anyway, I'd bet it is around 40 or 50. Anyone have the numbers?
It's not really on topic, but I appreciate that you are attempting to turn this thread into something useful. I'll try to help.

Per this video, eTorque adds:
2.0 = 70 ft. lbs.
3.6 = 90 ft. lbs.
5.7 = 130 ft. lbs.

I hope that BSG tuning becomes a possibility some day. I would be very interested in additional torque from what looks to be about as complicated as an alternator swap.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OK, so I found the figures..the literature/leaflets that Jay posted in another thread give the numbers for the 2.0T eTorque as... 270 bhp and 295 lb ft of torque.

The 2.0T GME/ESS figures aren’t given in the same leaflets as far as I can see. So I referred back to the UK sales brochure. The numbers are....272 bhp and 295 lb ft. I think we can say they are the same.

If my memory serves me right the eTorque adds 70 lb ft of torque but when the petrol engine reaches 1500 rpm the eTorque drops out.
Thank you. Your contributions to several threads over the last couple of days have been invaluable to me as I try to understand this “new” engine. I greatly appreciate it.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Doesn’t it seem a little odd that when the 2.0 turbo came out that’s all you could get on the dealer lots, Dealers could not order the v6 only the 2.0. I remember threads where people were saying all Rubicon’s only had the 2.0 . I had to special order my 3.6. If feels like jeep knew there was something going on but they committed to making so many of those motors and they forced them on people to get rid of them. It happened before with Renault. I would not want to own a discontinued Fiat turbo motor 10 years from now. Good luck with parts and resale.
10 years... Damn, I cant keep a vehicle longer than 2. I guess I am the perfect customer for this complex engine haha. It will long be someone elses problem in 10 years!

OP
OP
Solidaxle

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Would it be to much to ask from fourm moderators to show some consistency and ban the 2.0 forum trolls from coming to the 3.6 forum and offering nothing productive? That was the excuse given to me when I was banned from the 2.0 forums for not offering anything productive.
But that’s not going to happen because the protected class is the 2.0 and the diesel you can’t say anything negative about them, but you’re allowed to say everything negative about the 3.6.
I guess we should think of the 3.6 as white people. It’s totally OK to hate on them but nobody else as that would be wrong.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Would it be to much to ask from fourm moderators to show some consistency and ban the 2.0 forum trolls from coming to the 3.6 forum and offering nothing productive? That was the excuse given to me when I was banned from the 2.0 forums for not offering anything productive.
But that’s not going to happen because the protected class is the 2.0 and the diesel you can’t say anything negative about them, but you’re allowed to say everything negative about the 3.6.
I guess we should think of the 3.6 as white people. It’s totally OK to hate on them but nobody else as that would be wrong.
Well, your "Occupation " as you listed it, pretty much sums up "Why Cry"

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed.

It's not really on topic, but I appreciate that you are attempting to turn this thread into something useful. I'll try to help.

Per this video, eTorque adds:
2.0 = 70 ft. lbs.
3.6 = 90 ft. lbs.
5.7 = 130 ft. lbs.

I hope that BSG tuning becomes a possibility some day. I would be very interested in additional torque from what looks to be about as complicated as an alternator swap.

Thanks, @AnnDee4444 for the info! I still think that 2.0 would be ok without it. The thing that impressed me the most about it was after it spooled and gave a nice midrange punch. That wouldn't change.

Even though I'm 100% happy with my 3.6/manual, I love seeing new tech introduced successfully.

I'm still curious as to why the change, though. I really doubt it is due to a particular problem with the 2.0 but more likely the driving scenarios to which it is better suited.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The BSG in my 2.0 T performs flawlessly when I use it, which is rarely, due to rural driving. The performance is the same, with or without ESS, which is to be expected, the BSG is a "starter " attached to the front of the engine, rather than the flywheel end. I do notice it on regenerative braking, its like feeling a downshift in the old manual days. At first the technical aspects were intimidating, but thanks to this Forum, and the smart people that contribute, I'm learning, and understanding how it all works.
Thank you !

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Score another win for the dependable simple 3.6 with ESS. Like many here have been saying and predicting it looks like jeep finally figured out that all that complicated stuff and coolant lines running to the rear wasn’t a good idea on a off road vehicle like the Rubicon.
Yup, heard this the other day from a friend who just ordered a 2020. Seems someone came to their senses with respect to turbos, and complicated electronics, and additional batteries, and associated weight. Made the right choice almost a year ago with my regular 3.6, and never wanted anything else.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I too felt like they were trying to force the 2.0's one people in efforts to help FCA meet the federally mandated MPG ratings that all MFG's need to meet over their entire line/fleet of vehicles. That situation occurred a few times where there were LOADS of 2.0's coming in on dealer orders and a 3.6's were as rare as could be when I bought mine in 10/2018. And here again, recently, from my understanding. Perhaps it has been happening all along since the purchase of mine? Obviously, I wasn't in the market after getting mine.
Sponsored