2.0 owners, what MPG are you averaging?

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
I think something is wrong with my 2.0l JLUR I just purchased. It has 50k miles on it and no matter how I drive I cannot get above 14mpg. I have a 3 inch lift on 35 A/Ts and do have an after market front bumper with a winch. The engine is noisy like a diesel but I hear that is normal for this motor. I have a appt. with the dealership on Monday but feel like they are just going to blame it on the tire size and other mods. From what I see on this forum most people are still getting an avg mpg of 18-19 with 35-37 tires. Any advice or experience with what could cause this low of mpg?
I always obey the speed limit and I don't accelerate into red lights or traffic. I didn't always drive like this, I guess I'm maturing but my main concern for driving responsibly is to be cautious of other drivers. I see people gun it from a red light only to have to come to a sudden stop at the next light. I also am concerned with how long it takes to get parts now and how long I'd be without her if she were in an accident. Most of all, I'm in no rush to get anywhere driving her, it's a pleasure to do so and puts a smile on my face. It is fun climbing mountains tho, gas mileage be damned.
Sponsored

Stuchebag

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
depends how you drive it, i suspect a lot of guys drive like grandmas to purposely get better mileage. with all those mods that sounds about right to me

I've filled up 3 times so far and do mostly highway driving to and from work. Been driving like a grandma here recently to try to get higher mpg. The highest I have seen is 14.1 mpg but when I do the calculations myself I actually get about 13.4mpg. when I drive it normal I get around 13mpg on dash did not do the calculations myself for this one.

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
I've filled up 3 times so far and do mostly highway driving to and from work. Been driving like a grandma here recently to try to get higher mpg. The highest I have seen is 14.1 mpg but when I do the calculations myself I actually get about 13.4mpg. when I drive it normal I get around 13mpg on dash did not do the calculations myself for this one.
What's the highway speed limit? I've found that anything over 70 and gas mileage plummets quickly. I'm on KO2 315s, XR lift and 4.56 gearing. I get about 19 on highways and 22 on backroads.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
22 to 25 on 35s with 3" lift all day

Stuchebag

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
What's the highway speed limit? I've found that anything over 70 and gas mileage plummets quickly. I'm on KO2 315s, XR lift and 4.56 gearing. I get about 19 on highways and 22 on backroads.

I stay between 65 and 70mph on the highway. I am going to have Jeep look at it tomorrow just wanted to make sure these are not normal numbers.

Sponsored

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
theres a lot of variables like altitude, octane, your tire size, how heavy your bumper and winch are, if your front bumper covers your tires, how fast youre accelerating to 70mph, etc etc. but that does seem a little on the low side if youre not going over 70. where i live you basically have to drive 75-80 mph on the highway or get run over so i figure the high speed is what kills the mileage on my stock rubicon. I would guess its your bumper, winch and tire combo, but i could be wrong

Stuchebag

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I will keep you updated and let you know what they say. I know direct inject motors can get carbon build up and have heard the first sign of that would be low mpg.

Stuchebag

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
So update to the whole fuel and knocking situation that I was getting. Took it to the Jeep dealership and the technician told me that the knocking was most likely the tensioner. He is ordered one and he's going to replace it. I guess these tensioners go out around 50,000 milea on average. They are really difficult to get right now and he's expecting it to take almost a month. It might be a sign that a lot of people are having this issue. As for the low mpg he found oil in the intake hose and after doing some research found it had been overfilled last time it was at the dealership. He took about half a quart out of it and it seems to be getting better gas mileage now. I've only driven it a little so I don't know if it is 100% fixed. My averaged was around 19 MPG over 10 miles and that was mostly City. Now I'm looking into how to clean all that oil out. Pretty much everywhere in my intake. He said he's going to look at doing a chemical clean when I come in to do the tensioner but he's never done it on a 2.0 before. Good thing I've got an extended warranty.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Owned for almost a year (a week away). 26,500 miles right now. Tracking mileage since day one I'm at 18.37 MPG - calculated.

2.0 auto. Been on 35's and stubby Mopar bumper since about 10,000 miles.

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU, '17 Colorado, '17 Explorer, '13 Mustang
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
I'm getting an average of ~23-25 MPG.
Went down to the coast a few months ago and got 26.2 MPG on the return trip.

MPG.jpeg

Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
18.3 hand calculated over the course of 1 year. 27k miles so far.

DOUGCOGLEY

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Sahara | 2008 Jeep Liberty (manual)
I am getting 22mpg in my 2024 Sahara all stock in hilly western Pennsylvania.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
20.1 over 1 year and about 10k miles.

The dashboard figure is always 1 to 1.5 mpg higher than the real number. Every time.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 owners, what MPG are you averaging? IMG_1647
Sponsored