2.0 owners, what MPG are you averaging?

Slava

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport
2023, two-door Willys Sport, 87 octane, 2 dr mode, approaching 800 miles. Highway 27-30 MPG, city only MPG (ESS = ON) is around 18, drops to 16 with 4wd. Mixed highway/city driving (roughly 50/50) averages around 25. But my daily city route is very heavy on stop and yield signs, traffic lights, speed limits 20-25, and a school zone - any non-hybrid vehicle is below its worst in this condition.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
2018 2 Dr Base Sport, with LSD, hardtop, no mods.
Stock tires,38 psi ,32,000 miles. 87 octane, 25 mpg average, rural driving. First Jeep that is Fast, Fun, and Frugal

Orpheum

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited
'23 Sahara Unlimited. Have averaged 21 over 3,000 miles using 87 octane.

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I got around 20 MPG with the cruise control set to 80 mph driving from SLC to Las Vegas.
With more traffic and slower speeds Iā€™m usually in the 21-22 MPG range.
2022 JLUR with the stock tires/suspension.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜51 M38
20.1 mpg. Measured off Fuelly. 2100 miles tracked.

Sponsored

Red19

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
25 MPG stock wheels, Goodyear Wrangler, JLU Sport.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
Well I donā€™t know if these things need to break in or what (HD diesel guy) first gasser Iā€™ve had in a very long time but itā€™s a JLUR 2.0 and Iā€™m getting like 13.5 just street driving 50/50 highway town cruise set at 74 on the highway. Will it get better or is something wrong ? Pretty much listening to everyone saying theyā€™re getting close to 20 ish was a main factor I went with the 2.0

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Stock rubi JLUR. Total lifetime average with off-road use included.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 owners, what MPG are you averaging? FE8175A8-C2F2-40FB-893B-F1503D728871

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well I donā€™t know if these things need to break in or what (HD diesel guy) first gasser Iā€™ve had in a very long time but itā€™s a JLUR 2.0 and Iā€™m getting like 13.5 just street driving 50/50 highway town cruise set at 74 on the highway. Will it get better or is something wrong ? Pretty much listening to everyone saying theyā€™re getting close to 20 ish was a main factor I went with the 2.0
No specific break-in is required, beyond varying the throttle during the first 25 miles when the vehicle is new.

Have you hand calculated the mileage, to crosscheck the accuracy of the dashboard display?

If actually correct, 13.5 mpg is concerningly low, doubly so if your Rube remains factory stock. Fuel mileage does start to drop off above 70ish mph, depending on the totality of conditions (winter blend fuel, etc.) but there may still be a little room for improvement in your number.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No specific break-in is required, beyond varying the throttle during the first 25 miles when the vehicle is new.

Have you hand calculated the mileage, to crosscheck the accuracy of the dashboard display?

If actually correct, 13.5 mpg is concerningly low, doubly so if your Rube remains factory stock. Fuel mileage does start to drop off above 70ish mph, depending on the totality of conditions (winter blend fuel, etc.) but there may still be a little room for improvement in your number.
Yeah I checked it itā€™s within .5 it is pretty cold here in NE PA and yes everything is stock, if this is how itā€™s gonna be kinda no point in it for me I was expecting at least 18 or so. Itā€™ll be a total nightmare trying to explain this to a dealer theyā€™ll just roll their eyes and blow me off

Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
2020 jlu sahara
3" lift. 34" BFG KO2 tires. Method wheels.
Pedal Commander. I drive it like I stole it.
87 octane
17 mpg

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Yeah I checked it itā€™s within .5 it is pretty cold here in NE PA and yes everything is stock
Approaching this scientifically, which is to say changing relevant metrics one at a time, may provide additional intel.

-Set the cruise at 65 mph, if practical, when driving your usual days and routes.
-If you regularly use 87, or even 89, run at least two full tanks of 91+ octane.
-Purchase top-tier gasoline, if able and if you don't already do so.
-Check to ensure that your tires are wearing properly and thus correctly inflated.

How long have you observed the 13.5 mpg? I ask because I too live in PA (we just woke up to 19Ā°F a few days ago) and winter-blend gasoline is known to affect fuel efficiency.

My record is almost 30 mpg, but that was set when the weather was still warmish...and I don't have a heavy right foot. My current average hovers at 24-25 mpg. I've used 91+ octane since taking delivery of my Jeep.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Approaching this scientifically, which is to say changing relevant metrics one at a time, may provide additional intel.

-Set the cruise at 65 mph, if practical, when driving your usual days and routes.
-If you regularly use 87, or even 89, run at least two full tanks of 91+ octane.
-Purchase top-tier gasoline, if able and if you don't already do so.
-Check to ensure that your tires are wearing properly and thus correctly inflated.

How long have you observed the 13.5 mpg? I ask because I too live in PA (we just woke up to 19Ā°F a few days ago) and winter-blend gasoline is known to affect fuel efficiency.

My record is almost 30 mpg, but that was set when the weather was still warmish...and I don't have a heavy right foot. My current average hovers at 24-25 mpg. I've used 91+ octane since taking delivery of my Jeep.
Itā€™s only been about 200 miles Iā€™ve been running Sunoco 89 in it so far, the highway I take to work if you drop any less than 70 youā€™re a liability, tires are set at 34 psi cold and usually go up to 37-38 when warmed up driving

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Itā€™s only been about 200 miles Iā€™ve been running Sunoco 89 in it so far, the highway I take to work if you drop any less than 70 youā€™re a liability, tires are set at 34 psi cold and usually go up to 37-38 when warmed up driving
I understand, re: prevailing traffic speeds.

The conventional wisdom, buttressed by the door jamb sticker (if also applicable to your particular model of Rubicon) suggests a cold tire pressure of 37 PSI. Give some thought to increasing it from 34 and continue monitoring the fuel mileage.

The manual suggests, but doesn't compel, using 91+ octane. Just passing that on for your consideration.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand, re: prevailing traffic speeds.

The conventional wisdom, buttressed by the door jamb sticker (if also applicable to your particular model of Rubicon) suggests a cold tire pressure of 37 PSI. Give some thought to increasing it from 34 and continue monitoring the fuel mileage.

The manual suggests, but doesn't compel, using 91+ octane. Just passing that on for your consideration.
Yeah I read the whole regular vs supper arguments lol seemed like the consensus was it didnā€™t make much if any difference so thatā€™s why I figured Iā€™d just run 89 in it. As far as tire pressure I went off info here that dropping to 34 would help the wondering some because it was wondering like crazy and thatā€™s coming from somebody thatā€™s driven nothing but HD diesel straight axle trucks for the past 20 years maybe Iā€™ll try bumping that back up a few pounds
Sponsored