2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Which equates to 4 adults in a 2.0T equipped JLU, except there's still the hybrid system working even when the battery is dead...
Right. I’m not sure about the hybrid system working because I haven’t read about it or seen someone tried this but I rather have a lighter more nimble off-roading rig since I don’t off-road with 4 200plus lbs passengers.
Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Diesels are like manual transmissions. Only popular on the forums. If you read these forms exclusively you would think everybody drove a manual transmission and was begging for a diesel but in reality the opposite. And sales numbers prove that out
Not sure I agree with that. In the USA diesel sales never compared with gas engine sales - ever. They’re usually 10% to 20% of the gas engine sales. That being said, ALL ICE engines are on their way out within 10 years. Chevy reannouned the 3.0 diesel for 2022 but they won’t be making any engines by 2035 - diesel or gas same with Daimler who I think said 2030.

I would take an EV over hybrid - it’s just not worth that complexity.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I would take an EV over hybrid - it’s just not worth that complexity.
Depends on the use case. For a commuter car with a daily routine, known distances, and know charging locations I'd absolutely take an EV over a hybrid. For an adventure vehicle like a Jeep, running trails, exploring back country roads, and accessing remote locations where towns have 1 gas station and no chargers, I'll take a plug in hybrid over an EV every time. Hiking down the trail with a gas can sucks, hiking down the trail with a generator or a charged battery pack is basically impossible.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I prefer and bought the diesel because I know how to work on them. They tune these things to have 509 pound feet at 1900rpm.

I don’t expect a hybrid sales to last long either. They seem to be a filler until battery tech fully takes over in mid 2030s. Depending on how MA and CA wrote their ban on new ICE cars sales, it may include hybrids. Let’s not forget, 17 other states follow CARB so if CARB adopts the rule it could be all 17 states banning new ICE sales within 13 years.

By 2024 you won’t be able to buy or use any gas powered yard equipment in CA.
Sponsored