2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Maybe everyone should cancel the 2.0 and 3.6 and get the diesel like I did.
I'd rather have the rumored turbo 3.0 inline 6.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
See this here is your problem. No one is trying to tell you that what you feel is wrong. Your opinion is noted. But all along, you've been trying to tell us that the 2.0 is objectively the better engine because you feel it's better. The truth always has been, and remains, that these engines are neck and neck when it comes to power. You and some others feel the 2.0 is noticeably more powerful. Me and some others feel the 3.6l is noticeably more powerful. These are all opinions. The fact is that objectively they're pretty much the same. The 2.0l excels in some situations and the 3.6l excels in other situations.

You keep trying to establish your own and other opinions as proof of fact. Stop doing that and we're all good.
People come here for information all the time. I’ve offered what feedback I could as an owner of both the 2.0 & 3.6 with eTorque at the same time. My Sahara is heavier. I’ve offered my experience with power curves as a past engine builder, running dyno’s, aircraft mechanic, tuner, car guy and completely honest individual with nothing to gain from advancing one over the other or justifying how I did or didn’t choose the better or worse engine.

If I had a publication by my name, I assume it would suddenly become fact as evidenced by your use of ONE drag strip run in similar but technically different vehicles by Car & Driver as opposed to a specialized publication who generally makes an afternoon of it. I did not read the article you pulled this from so I asked apparently annoying questions where each was dismissed as insignificant. As a crew chief, you’d get fired for thinking like that. It’s not competitive. That’s what my perspective is.

My review, questions answered and unanswered or not acknowledged by whomever stand.

-Better range/mpg stock (fact see EPA)
-More power available under 3k rpm (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...first-ever-dyno-runs-vs-3-6l-pentastar.14270/)
-Much much less power loss at elevation (1% vs 3%/1k ft elevation gain (fact)

The school I went to, we specialized in naturally aspirated builds. I’d love the V6 to be a killer, but it’s more commuter.

Nothing here is a V8 so I don’t want to hear either because neither sounds great….as a former Grand National and other V6 turbo owner.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Rolling coal baby whoooo! lol

Aside from my novice concerns about the emissions systems and it being heavy up front, this is the way to go in North America. Doh….in my opinion.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Rolling coal baby whoooo! lol

Aside from my novice concerns about the emissions systems and it being heavy up front, this is the way to go in North America. Doh….in my opinion.
18 pages of diesel vs [alternative] here we come!

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Only if we can fight about it. Otherwise we’ll just end up talking about useful topics. Or we can talk about our nails preventing us from opening the windows which, unfortunately, is a real topic on this website.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Only if we can fight about it. Otherwise we’ll just end up talking about useful topics. Or we can talk about our nails preventing us from opening the windows which, unfortunately, is a real topic on this website.
Nails? wtf lol

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
People come here for information all the time. I’ve offered what feedback I could as an owner of both the 2.0 & 3.6 with eTorque at the same time. My Sahara is heavier. I’ve offered my experience with power curves as a past engine builder, running dyno’s, aircraft mechanic, tuner, car guy and completely honest individual with nothing to gain from advancing one over the other or justifying how I did or didn’t choose the better or worse engine.

If I had a publication by my name, I assume it would suddenly become fact as evidenced by your use of ONE drag strip run in similar but technically different vehicles by Car & Driver as opposed to a specialized publication who generally makes an afternoon of it. I did not read the article you pulled this from so I asked apparently annoying questions where each was dismissed as insignificant. As a crew chief, you’d get fired for thinking like that. It’s not competitive. That’s what my perspective is.

My review, questions answered and unanswered or not acknowledged by whomever stand.

-Better range/mpg stock (fact see EPA)
-More power available under 3k rpm (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...first-ever-dyno-runs-vs-3-6l-pentastar.14270/)
-Much much less power loss at elevation (1% vs 3%/1k ft elevation gain (fact)

The school I went to, we specialized in naturally aspirated builds. I’d love the V6 to be a killer, but it’s more commuter.

Nothing here is a V8 so I don’t want to hear either because neither sounds great….as a former Grand National and other V6 turbo owner.
Your opinion is noted thank you.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
We should ALL get the 392! jk

For me that engine in this vehicle is a waste. A well designed forced induction I6 would be perfect. Many of the BMWs I’ve owned were this formula, and I NEVER wished for a V8 or V10.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
This is probably the attitude and reason there aren't more posts on this website, such a narrow minded viewpoint to have. Not every jeep owner is a rugged mountain man looking to tackle rock crawling and only wanting to discuss gears or factory recalls. Heck we just had some drama queens getting all puffy about whether a 2.0 or 3.6 is better (everyone knows it's the 3.0). I'm sure y'all prefer the sausage fest most of these sites usually are, but I'd rather spice it up with members of the opposite sex (I'm not looking to pick up on them lol). Girls and guys with jeep problems should all feel confident in speaking up, what else will you do with that vast knowledge of yours? But this is just the opinion of a platoon sergeant who had all types of soldiers to deal with.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
This is probably the attitude and reason there aren't more posts on this website, such a narrow minded viewpoint to have. Not every jeep owner is a rugged mountain man looking to tackle rock crawling and only wanting to discuss gears or factory recalls. Heck we just had some drama queens getting all puffy about whether a 2.0 or 3.6 is better (everyone knows it's the 3.0). I'm sure y'all prefer the sausage fest most of these sites usually are, but I'd rather spice it up with members of the opposite sex (I'm not looking to pick up on them lol). Girls and guys with jeep problems should all feel confident in speaking up, what else will you do with that vast knowledge of yours? But this is just the opinion of a platoon sergeant who had all types of soldiers to deal with.
Lol so…who said women weren’t welcome. It’s a dumb question as she said in the title! Lol. No worse than the GUY who want to add a carburetor. So quick to rush to judgement.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I mostly agree with you, but on the engine you are wrong. OBJECTIVELY the 2.0 IS the best! See what I did there, I said it it was OBJECTIVE, so I am right!🤪
Sponsored

Last edited: