Sponsored

2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
BSG ≠ 2.0, even if their 2.0 was equipped with it. A 3.6 with BSG is just as susceptible to the issues they experienced, just like how a 2.0 with ESS would have the same benefits/drawbacks as a 3.6 with ESS.

They had paint discoloration issues in that video also. Was that caused by the 2.0 also?
No dispute the BSG can also have probs on the 6. Conservative play is to get the 6 without. Is a more proven engine choice as tflc notes.

Really the 6 with 8 spd is a decent set-up. Does everything we need it to do and more. Jeep did well keeping this engine.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah point was and still is - so much anecdotal BS. 6-7sec 0-60 is still quite sluggish by most standards today - and the BSG failed on the 4. Really is just factual accurate info is all. According to MT the diesel was hand clocked 8-8.5sec.

Anyways the JL in any iteration is not fast. Certainly not fast compared to any modern high performance V8. The 308 was nice in its day - but 8sec is a joke nowadays.

Edit - while not in the same price bracket haha - this has some decent get up and go off the factory floor.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/g-class/suv/g63w4

Here is the tflc final review of the 2.0 they tested for reliability. If you watch a few of their vids they discuss and show the various JL models and engine options. Most eye opening are the stock JL models attempting the RT. Scrape scrape. Oops. Rock rash.
6-7 seconds is sluggish? Lol, compared to what? Share some comparable vehicles and their times. I'd like to see what comparable machines are doing better. If that's sluggish, there must be a slew of them.

I'll be waiting with great anticipation of the list.

There were people dropping $16k to $20k for LS V8 swaps in their JK's that weren't doing any better.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There is a significant difference between being fast and not being sluggish. If you find a stock JL to be sluggish you’re irrational. This isn’t and never was a Raptor.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have never herd a rattle of any kind from my 2.0? Not on city streets or on the expressway. I do hear a whine-whistle when the turbo spools only when the windows are down. I do not notice it with the window up. I have a JLR with the 8.4" Infotainment and Alpine which has electronic noise canceling. Maybe there is rattling but is cancelled out? I doubt it though because I have had the roof off and windows down and did not hear any rattling?

I agree the 3.6 is quieter. It's also makes power smoother, in a more liner fashion.

The diesel sounds like a diesel. It will be louder and you will hear some knocking or rattling under load.
Sorry, I didn't mean rattle like rods or any type of mechanical problems. I meant normal four cylinder engine noise under load...

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
So much anecdotal BS. Nice. Motortrend has reported the following:

a) 2016 JKUR 0-60 8.2s 1/4mi 16.3s 82.5 mph
b) 2018 JLUS 3.6 0-60 6.9s 1/4mi 15.3s 89.9 mph
c) 2019 JLUR 2.0 0-60 7.6s 1/4mi 16.0s 83.1 mph
d) 2018 JLUR 2.0 0-60 8.0s 1/4mi 16.2s

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...-unlimited-rubicon-review-long-term-update-4/

Not that these times are really fast by any stretch. But to say the 2.0 feels like a V8 is quite an exaggeration. Anything in the low 5s for 0-60 is getting reasonable. At least then you feel a bit of excitement. But 6 to 7s not so much. Very hum drum. But as noted - redlined the 6 feels like it is doing something. It is in its power band up high.

But really the Rubi excels at slow speed rock crawling anyways. Everything locked sway disconnected.
Do you own the 2.0 turbo?

Sponsored

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I love the sound of the v6. What’s your mpg been? Is there an etorque v6 or is that only an option on the 2.0
I have a 2020 Sahara with the 3.6 e-torque. On Saharas, the standard 3.6 is only available with manual transmission. To get the an automatic transmission you have to take the 3.6 e-torque engine upgrade. I only have about 3500 miles on mine, but personally, I like it. It rides just as comfortably at 80 mph on the highway as it does hopping around town. I think you will be happy with it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The 308 was nice in its day.
Actually the 308 was a disaster in its day. [that's why I chose it for the comparison]

And...I lived through those times as a rabid car guy, so my eyes were wide open.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vs other 4x4 breadbox vehicles like the GW already linked - price aside. So yeah sluggish. But as noted by MT the 0-60 time of the 6 was quicker than the 4.

“Really the 6 with 8 spd is a decent set-up. Does everything we need it to do and more. Jeep did well keeping this engine.”

Last edited:

BeeeCeee

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
My wife likes her 2.0 in her JL, with 35's, because of the pep it has. I like my 3.6, with 37's, in my JT because the power seems more controlled. It doesn't have that on/off feeling that my wife's rig feels.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually the 308 was a disaster in its day. [that's why I chose it for the comparison]
For speed gutless but for presence looked nice driving in the show. The 308 looked fast. Unfortunately was not. Yeah relating the V8 as sluggish makes better sense. Was wondering why the 308 was even referenced.

Seemed you were implying the 308 0-60 time was fast like your Scirocco.

“I remember putting a turbo on a Scirocco in 1978 and it went 0-60 in 7.8 sec. It felt very fast. BTW, the 8-cylinder Ferrari (308 GTB) at the time clocked 8.1 sec. Everything is relative. We are in a golden age for automobiles”

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
As the title says, I’m cancelling my diesel build. I’m still eligible to as they haven’t started building it. My questions is what engine do y’all recommend? Haven’t done much research into either. Im ordering the Sahara altitude with pretty much all bells and whistles. The plan is to lift it 2.5 and put either 33 or 35 tires on it. Also will be 90 percent of the time highway driving with the occasional off road on weekends. What has gas mileage been on for both? Any issues with either engine? What is the etorque option? Any input is appreciated. thanks!
I love the performance of my 3.6 JL mated with 6 sp. manual, I also had one in my 2012 Rubicon JL. Gas mileage will depend on rear end gearing. I on recent trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff and return I averaged 23.5 MPG. The difference in elevations is about 7K feet. Fortunately. I haven't experienced the knock, pre-ignition reported by other contributors. I'm sure will enjoy either of your choices. Dealership service is another issue.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Well... I detest automatic transmissions. So that pretty much limited my choice to only the 3.6.

That said, I do think it's quite a nice motor, I'd do it again. Real world mileage is 22.5 over the last 3500 miles. It was 23.5, but I made a trip to the mountains that cut it down. JLU sport, hard top.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
All I have to add is I own a post 2007 MB diesel. The emissions systems on 2007+ diesel are a nightmare - all makes. I'd suggest you go in having done your homework on DEF, EGR, EGR Cooler, Particulate Filter, etc. All this for raised diesel gas prices such that efficiency gains don't necessarily cover the difference anymore. I'll never buy another diesel. All this is well known among current owners, but the market as a whole still seems stuck in pre-2007 thinking.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My Jan 2020 Rubicon JLU has a 2.0 turbo 8-spd auto and is super peppy even after adding 800 lbs of lift, bumpers, rock rails, winch, wheels, tires, etc. I currently run 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and have not noticed any significant performance difference between stock and the customized Rubicon. It uses 8th gear a little less but it did not use it a lot before. Probably have lost about 2mpg but can't tell any change in actual get up and go. Only complaint is that it is very keen to down shift with a jerk at low speed so takes some time to get the throttle management right to smoot out the ride when accelerating.

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So much anecdotal BS. Nice. Motortrend has reported the following:

a) 2016 JKUR 0-60 8.2s 1/4mi 16.3s 82.5 mph
b) 2018 JLUS 3.6 0-60 6.9s 1/4mi 15.3s 89.9 mph
c) 2019 JLUR 2.0 0-60 7.6s 1/4mi 16.0s 83.1 mph
d) 2018 JLUR 2.0 0-60 8.0s 1/4mi 16.2s

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...-unlimited-rubicon-review-long-term-update-4/

Not that these times are really fast by any stretch. But to say the 2.0 feels like a V8 is quite an exaggeration. Anything in the low 5s for 0-60 is getting reasonable. At least then you feel a bit of excitement. But 6 to 7s not so much. Very hum drum. But as noted - redlined the 6 feels like it is doing something. It is in its power band up high.

But really the Rubi excels at slow speed rock crawling anyways. Everything locked sway disconnected.

The 3.6 they tested was a Sahara and the 2.0 a Rubicon. I imagine that causes a difference in performance from gearing. Also motortrend says the power from the 3.6 feels lacking in the 4 door. So just posting times doesnt make it any less anecdotal.
Sponsored