Sponsored

2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I rented a 2.0T Sahara last summer to drive from Houston to northern Wyoming and back (you can read my write up here - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ve-2-0-turbo-regret.17142/page-29#post-773758). I had no issues with it and it easily managed the hills and ravines we crossed. However, I chose the 3.6L when I bought my JLUR after researching the 2.0T a bit more. For me, the extra cooling and electrical systems on the 2.0T smack of "trouble down the road" and I simply did not want to worry about that. Otherwise, it was a "great ride". As others have said, you will have a different opinion from everyone who posts.

PS...the diesel will also likely have its fair share of maintenance/breakage issues anyway because modern diesels are not made for stop and go driving, they are built for the open road. DPF/SCR/DEF do not make for trouble free driving....

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Surprised no one asked but why did you choose to cancel the diesel?

I have the 2.0 and am very happy with it. It is very peppy but I will say it is a bit louder idling and such. It definitely sounds like a piece of machinery rather than a very refined motor. But hit that go pedal and it responds aggressively.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I test drove both the 2.0 and 3.6 and they were very similar with the 8-speed auto. That being said, I chose the 3.6 V6 with the 6-speed manual because I didn't want the additional complexity of the cooling system with the 2.0 especially when off roading.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Car makes virtually no engine noise (other than background/white noise, to me anyways) when stock. With a S&B intake (which I went with because it's got a sealed box design similar to OEM and it's CARB-certified so the Gestapo won't hassle me, and a dry filter that won't gunk up intake sensors) it sounds like a proper SUV, though.

Not sure I've ever heard a 4-cylinder that sounds "muscley" no matter what you do to them. They tend to sound more Honda the more you change them. /shrug
I thought the little turbo-4 in my Fiat 500(Abarth) sounded pretty great.. it has no muffler from the factory, but they really did some magic making it not sound like someone just pulled the muffler off. At the same time it was a nice change (though unexpected) for my Jeep to be such a quiet ride. I'm not sure I understand folks saying the V6 sounds good; I can't hardly hear it at all... but at least I'm not pissing off the neighbors when I get home late.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kornpop

Kornpop

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy Silverado Z71
Surprised no one asked but why did you choose to cancel the diesel?

I have the 2.0 and am very happy with it. It is very peppy but I will say it is a bit louder idling and such. It definitely sounds like a piece of machinery rather than a very refined motor. But hit that go pedal and it responds aggressively.
well, I received a call from Jeep care, told me they’re waiting on an a part, won’t be there until April , and because I ordered mid January, a rough estimate with the backlog they have with diesel orders would be mid summer. I currently have some electronic issues with my Silverado and was willing to wait until April but not mid summer lol. Also read that someone was having issues already with there Diesel engine in the 3.0 forum. Figured I let them work out the kinks etc

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
My only complaint with the 3.6 ( I’ve had it since May 2018 and put 25K miles on it) is the pre-ignition/spark knock/rattle sound that is terribly annoying and not good for the motor. I have to run 93 octane here in Georgia to get it to settle down. As soon as I put in a tank of 87 octane it comes right back. There are threads about this in the technical section for that power plant as well as in the Issues/Warranties section of the forums. As of now, there’s no fix being provided for it other than run a higher octane gas.
Can you describe this knock/rattle in more detail? I also have a 2018 JLUR with a 3.6. I use 87 octane and have never heard this knock/rattle. Are you talking about the same knock one gets when you put regular gas in a vehicle that requires premium?

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
I got the 2L eTorque, have over 11k miles, no issues, love how peppy it is, works great on hi way as well as on the trails. Impressed with the low end torque when climbing hills or rocks. I wanted to try the 2L and after the test drive I was sold.

Try all three engines and pick the one that’s best for you.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Probably a little late to the party input-wise, but I'd suggest that you hold off on the V6 and wait for a 2021 Diesel. While some new model teething issues were to be expected, the production backlog was a big surprise. Ordering is traditionally in late July with delivery in early September. Hopefully the (logistics) pig will have moved through the python by then. And...many of the early model issues will be resolved before your Jeep is produced.

Of course it all depends on whether you have a vehicle to hold you over.

Sponsored

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
V6 with 6sp here. Really so much fun to drive. I don't think they'res anything wrong with the 2.0 w/Auto; so far. But all direct injected vehicles will have carbon build up issues. Do a little research online. Plus there is some added complexity with the 2.0. So I saved some money; then spent it on those fun to have mods.

Mine does run better on 92RON. At 17k miles I've switched fuel a couple times and every time I can tell the difference; it does seem to take till the 2nd tank to tell a difference. It's not bad on 87RON; but the V6 is a high compression motor, it does seem to like the higher octane better. Here in Oregon it's only .20/gal; not that big a difference in price. My overall average for 17k miles is 20mpg; I've logged every tank. With my mods, the MPG is right where I wanted it to be.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
28,500 miles of trouble-free bliss with the 3.6 manual here. I went for the 3.6 when I ordered in November of 2017 because the 2.0 was too new and more complicated. The 2.o I think has proven itself so far, so I don't think that would be as much of a consideration if I was ordering today. I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

So the main reasons for my 3.6 preference now are that it is smoother and more refined in terms of NVH, it sounds much better, especially coupled with an aftermarket exhaust, and its history of longevity. I do think the 2.0 will prove to be a long lasting engine, though, and look around and you'll see people in love with it. Oh, and one more thing, which is the biggest for me, is the manual transmission. I absolutely love it. If you are an auto guy, the great news is that the 8 speed is easily the best auto ever put in a Jeep and it is one of the best on the market, period. It matches very well with either engine.

Have fun with the decision. It is a tough one, but like I said, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Go drive each and that will make the decision easier for you.

That diesel would have been fun but the price to get in is ridiculous and the fuel economy advantage vaporizes with the price of fuel, DEF fluid, the cost of the engine up front, and the maintenance costs.....and no manua transmission. ;)

All just my worthless opinion, btw.... One fact, though, is that I've had zero issues with pre-ignition in my 3.6. I run regular 87 octane, but 95% of the time it is Shell gas. Not sure that is why, but it doesn't hurt. Always run Top Tier fuel, no matter which engine you buy.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I drove both several times. While you can tell a slight difference when driving them back-to-back, it’s minimal. Based on this I recommend going with the cheaper option. Interestingly enough, that was the 3.6 for 2018 models but now it’s swapped. So if I was ordering today I’d go 2.0T.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
As the title says, I’m cancelling my diesel build. I’m still eligible to as they haven’t started building it. My questions is what engine do y’all recommend? Haven’t done much research into either. Im ordering the Sahara altitude with pretty much all bells and whistles. The plan is to lift it 2.5 and put either 33 or 35 tires on it. Also will be 90 percent of the time highway driving with the occasional off road on weekends. What has gas mileage been on for both? Any issues with either engine? What is the etorque option? Any input is appreciated. thanks!
Full disclosure, I own a JLR with the 2.0T eTorque. I ordered it for the extra torque and driving dynamics. A small bonus is a little better MPG because the 2-doors have a smaller gas tank. I honestly would order the same engine again with the eTorque if I were to do it again. Actually I would love to try the diesel but it's not a good fit for my driving habits. Plus it's not available with a 2-door.

I think you will like any of the engine choices. Everyone prefers different engines for different reasons. Just drive them all and you will get a idea of which you like more. You use might have a slight preference based on your driving habits. The diesel you are canceling has huge torque. Is torque important to you? The 2.0T is your next best choice if you value torque. Consider the 2.0 eToque if you value extra torque. The 2.0T's extra torque is noticeable and very obvious. It helps move the heavy JL easier. Passing on highways is effortless. It hides the weight of the JL by propelling it with seemingly less effort. Rotational mass is real. It will be even more obvious if you decide to go with larger/heavier wheels and tires. The extra torque helps get those big heavy wheels moving. You will be less likely to want a re-gear to get back the acceleration you loose from larger tires.

They all have the same warranty. The eTorque system is considered a emissions component and under a longer Federal Emissions Warranty. You can always buy a Mopar Extended Warranty for peace of mind later as long as the original bumper-to-bumper warranty is still intact. The Mopar Extended Warranty is available at a substantial discount from a few different dealers.

It's a heavy box shape vehicle. I wouldn't put a lot of weight into which engine gets better MPG. Plus there are a lot of different variables. 2-door, 4-door, automatic, manual, ESS, eTorque, Rubicon gears or Sahara gears. I might weigh the MPG a little more if you are ordering a 2-door because it has a smaller gas tank so less range. The 2.0 gets about 10% better MPG. You are getting a Sahara so that's a 4-door with a larger gas tank.

Another option to consider with a Sahara. Maybe consider the optional Selec-Trak since you are buying a Sahara. That option is exclusive to the Sahara based models.
Sponsored